GCoS LIBOGC 2 Disc Public BETA RELEASE!

Discussion in 'Gamecube Modifications & General Discussion' started by emu_kidid, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
    THE 2 DISC GCOS LIBOGC BETA IS HERE! :)

REASON FOR RELEASE:
    This is a work in progress release, just to show that GCoS is not dead :D
    We are currently testing which games work with the 2 disc game support we have now. PSO is reported as not working, please let us know if any other games will not continue after testing.
    To test, Basically we want people to boot any backup, open the lid, close it again, and tell us if it continues to work or if it throws an error.

Please give us feedback at the maxconsole forums here:
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=75

NOTES:
    What we have here is a GCoS Public Beta. This is the first of it's kind and is libogc based. With that being said, there is NO GPL'd code inside and whatever was in GCoS 1.5 has been completely redone from scratch.

Yes this version has a similar GUI to the older versions but it has been totally reworked. This is no where near the final GUI/GCoS/featurelist!

New in this Public Beta:
    - 2 Disc Games supported - You may open/close the lid on backups without a problem :)(beta!!)
    - Ninjamod drivecode has been removed and we've worked in improved versions of the DRE fix and Audiofix into GC-linux cactus drivecode ;)
    - IP settings saved to memory card
    - SD dol launcher
    - Setting of boot preference (you can boot the drive when gcos starts, or not)
    - HEAPS of lowlevel stuff improved/fixed

Stuff not in here but was in 1.5:
    - Disc ripper
    - HTTPD
    - AR stuff
    - LAN Explorer
    (Nevertheless, they will return in some better form)

REMEMBER THIS IS A BETA, so don't cry if something doesn't work, go REPORT IT! :)

Laters,
    The GCoS Team

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  2. 2
    misterbad

misterbad New Member Loyal Member

cool that good news

3. 4
    stolkien

stolkien New Member Loyal Member

Very good!!!! I'll test it as soon as I can!!

4. 0
    DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

cool!
    i just tried "megaman x collection" and "megaman anniversary collection", they both boot, and they both resume playing videos when i opened the lid while they were playing..

megaman x collection didn't like it when i pressed reset though, it froze.. and megaman anniversary collection, i opened the lid, put in another disc, closed the disc, open the lid, put my backup of megaman anniversary collection back in and it resumed! so cool.... but then when i took the disc out again and closed the lid (with no disc inside), i got a DRE.. well, it said something screwed up, please read nintendo instruction manual for more information

i'll try more backups when i get home.. g2g to school now =/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  5. 0
    shagkur

shagkur Guest

Hi,

just a short note to the open/close lid test while playing:
    Be sure when you open the lid the game comes up with an
    errormessage, like "cover open....".

But i guess that you all know allready! ;)

regards
    shagkur

6. 2
    pyl

pyl New Member Loyal Member

Color me impressed!

This works very nicely - I've tried it with my backup of Skies of Arcadia Legends and Mario Kart Double Dash so far. On my first boot of Skies of Arcadia Legends it had slowdown and a couple of green lines at the top and bottom of the screen, but not on my second boot. This was something i saw in many games with earlier versions of GCOS - I guess it has something to do with the PAL/NTSC-selection.

Otherwise - one hell of a public beta! Opening the lid made it display the ordinary "Please close the lid"-message from the game, and doing so made it resume perfectly. I noticed it skipped just a little while waiting for the dvd to spin up - guess the fullsize media takes a bit more time than the game expected to get up to speed.

I'll keep using this and report any problems here. Thanks a lot, this is a wonderful first release of the new GCOS! Can't wait to see the features from 1.5 added in.

7. 0
    Alcatraz

Alcatraz Guest

I only test with need for speed most wanted, and it does not boot (black screen)

8. 11
    glimpse

glimpse New Member Loyal Member

thx 4 the great work, man !
    ;)

I've tried all 2 discs games, and these are the results:

1) Re0 PAL works BOTH discs and disc 'switch' (#2 to #1 at the very start of the game)
    2) Revil1 USA works fine as Re0 (switch from disc #2 to #1 ok)
    3) Revil Cvx USA works fine as re0/1; I've also tried several times to OPEN the tray in the middle of the game (even in the middle of a movie!) and the recovery was fine all the times !!

For a RE-fan as I am, this stuff sounds F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C !!!!!
    :)

4) Tales of Symphonia USA DOES NOT BOOT (neither disc 1 nor 2 boot at all)
    5) MGSolid twins USA DOES NOT BOOT (neither disc 1 nor 2 boot at all)

Note: ALL discs (Ritek G05 and Verbatim TY) obviously were already tested under GCos 1.4 and worked all fine

I've noticed a strange thing, though:
    Some discs (Memorex 8x +R) start as soon as you press 'A' to boot; others (Ritek G05 and Verbatim TY) require some sort of 'complete' spinning that is done 3 times before actually start: how come ?

thanks again emu kid !

9. 643
    emu_kidid

Home Page:
    Yes, don't close the cover too soon, please wait for it to get to a point where it says "lid has been opened, please re-insert the disc or something similar", But i guess it would still work at other places too.

This is awsome feedback so far guys, keep it up! :)

10. 0
    DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

actually, I got that too, with backup of Megaman X collection on a ritek g04 mini.. it repeats a particular interval of sound.. kind of like when ur streaming games and it reads data over the network...

11. 0
    DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

I don't have disc 2 burned.. but for me, MGS twin snakes disc 1 boots and resumes properly when I open (and wait for the 'lid is open' message) and close the lid

12. 643
    emu_kidid

Home Page:
    Yeah cool, does MGSTS let you open/close the lid? If it does, then disc 2 should work at the swap point.

13. 0
    DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

ya, it's 2 disc.. but i'm not at the swap point yet.... i'll let you know when I get there

14. 131
    oncemore

oncemore New Member Loyal Member

sorry but can u make a vgc file for viper owners?

15. 643
    emu_kidid

Home Page:
    Attached VGC Extreme version to the first post, it's confirmed as working :)

Watch out for memcard corruption, just take out the memcard and re-insert it as soon as u boot the game.

16. 131
    oncemore

oncemore New Member Loyal Member

thx :)
    that thing with mem card sux..but whatever..its a beta :p

17. 0
    DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

ok, i made it to the swap point in MGS:TS and now i'm burning disc 2 onto a mini. I'll post back here real soon, and i'll try to make a gci save file for other ppl to try...

and after, i'll try booting my other backups

edit: ok, it works! i got to the point where it asks me to swap disc, so i opened the lid, put in my backup of MGS:TS disc 2, and it loaded just fine! and then I tried opening the lid, got the 'please close lid' message, and then closed the lid (with disc 2 still inside) and it resumed, then i tried opening the lid, put in disc 1, close the lid, and it asks for disc 2, so i put disc 2 back in, and resumed as well.

oh ya, here's the .gci file of the swap point in MGS:TS.... please make a backup of your mem card first!!! when i backuped the file from my memory card, it was listed as "GGSE A4 gN2020060118000821401454688 24576"... rather than something I'd exect like.. "MGS THE TWIN SNAKES"

18. 2
    pyl

pyl New Member Loyal Member

Tried some games

So I've tried some games - So far I've gotten a 100% success rate. All of these backups have run flawlessly, even if I open the lid, get the warning and close the lid:

animal crossing
    Atsumare!! Made in wario
    Donkey kong - jungle beat
    Ikaruga
    Mario kart - double dash
    Megaman Anniversary collection

Ikaruga went back to the menu when I opened and closed the lid, but I think that's just the way that particular game works. No crashes of any kind, no problems.

I think I'll be sticking with this beta for normal use for now. Are there any particular games you would want me to test, emu_kidid?

Almost hard to believe this is a beta.

19. 0
    DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

ok, I've just booted my backups that are burned with ritek g04 minis, with no problems, and they all resume properly.... I didn't try the reset thing with any other game other than megaman x collection, which made it freeze.. Understandably, my burns of GCMTool images didn't boot, it showed "not a game disc".. i'll try the rest of my backups (of which were burned on maxells, with a crappy sony burner) tomorrow

here's the list of games I tried today:

-Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (NTSC-USA) (Disc 1 and 2, and they swap properly too, loading disc 1, and having it tell me insert disc 1, loading disc 2 and having it tell me insert disc 1)
    -Megaman X Collection (NTSC-USA)
    -Megaman Anniversary Collection (NTSC-USA)
    -Naruto Ninja Taisen 4 (NTSC-JAP)
    -Super Robot Wars (NTSC-JAP)
    -Extreme G3 Racing (PAL), which boots with a scrolling screen
    -Kururin Squash (NTSC-JAP)
    -Mortal Kombat Deception (NTSC-USA)

Thanx emukid!! I really look forward to the next version of GCOS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2006
  20. 687
    NeoNight

NeoNight New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
    This release is only for mod chips no? Since there is no swap message or anything.