'geohot': The man who started the hacker wars

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Apr 30, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  1. 22,066
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    'My whole life is a hack'

[​IMG]

An interesting article at 'The New Yorker' covers the life of George Hotz, including how he hacked the iPhone, the PS3 and the start of the 'Hacker Wars'.

I'm pretty sure you all know George Hotz alias 'geohot'.

Yep, he's the guy who hacked both the iPhone and PlayStation 3. Well, American magazine The New Yorker, will include in this week issue a special article about him, covering almost all his life, including how he hacked the iPhone, the PS3 and the subsequent Sony lawsuits and Hacker Wars...

Yep, he hacked the iPhone. The next morning posted a video saying: “This is the world’s first unlocked iPhone.” This one received nearly two million views and made him the most famous hacker in the world. Thats how all started...

Of course, he continued to "jailbreak," or unlock subsequent versions of the iPhone until, two years later, he turned to his next target: the Sony's PS3.

Sony responded by releasing a software update that disabled OtherOS, the feature through which Hotz had accessed the hypervisor. This, of course, pissed off people. Some were mad at Sony and others at Hotz. This was just the beginning of the "Hacker Wars".

After that, he received an e-mail from Sony announcing a lawsuit against him.

Yep, hackers around the World were pretty mad, including Anonymous.

That's right, we all know how this ended. The massive PlayStation Network outbreak. And while it is unclear whether someone from Anonymous were responsible for the hack or whether it was just someone taking advantage of the chaos, the events were clearly linked.

Hotz didn't agree with those attacks and posted a rant against the PSN hackers. "Running homebrew and exploring security on your devices is cool,"

That was not the end for all Sony troubles, as soon they had a new force to contend with: an Anonymous splinter group called Lulz Security, commonly known as LulzSec.

2011 was surely crazy...

A month after his settlement with Sony, last spring, Hotz moved back to California to take a full-time job at Facebook. But, just eight months later, Hotz quit. “Facebook is a fun place to work,” he said, “but I wonder how people stay employed for so long.”

He wouldn’t say what he was going to do next, but apparently, he won’t be sharing his exploits on the Internet anymore. “I’m through with all that,” he said.

The last thing we know about him is that he was arrested because of marijuana possession. Well, there you go. He's surely controversial and in certain ways he acts like a normal teenager, but thanks to him we can have control over our entertainment devices, as should be.

You can find the full article below. Don't miss it out... it's pretty neat!

NEWS SOURCE: 2012 05/07 by Kushner (via) NewYorker

Many thanks to 'Gauss' for writing this summary for me from an advance URL tip from a old close friend of mine!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Apr 30, 2012.

1. 888
      wewii

wewii Loyal Member

Why does this guy get all the credit for hacking?

There have been plenty of other hackers that hacked many high profile devices in the past. Only difference is they weren't stupid enough to get caught by using Twitter/Youtube.

2. 13,392
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      1) for being the first to hack 2 supposedly unhackable systems
      2) sony made him famous

3. 888
      wewii

wewii Loyal Member

That doesn't make him special... Every device is considered unhackable until its hacked.

Where's the recognition for the original iPod jail breakers, Xbox orig/360, PS1, PS2, Wii, NDS hackers, Video/PC game & Software crackers.... etc etc etc.

Geohot needs to go to the back of the line of successful device hackers/crackers. Instead of bumming his way up to the front of the line thanks to the publicity generated by Sony and Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    4. 1,626
      Nocuddle

Nocuddle Loyal Member

3) for being a dickhead showing his real face to the world like "hi am gonna rob ur bank & steal your gold, here is mah driver license, hunt me plzkthxbai".

5. 784
      Captain N1

Captain N1 Loyal Member

he needs to hack in to area 51 and get the alien documents lolz :p

really though id like to see the dsi/3ds hacked.

6. 22,066
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yeah, someone mail him a 3DS so he can get sued by Nintendo. -- They are worse then Sony when it comes to lawsuits and takedowns!

7. 1,629
      GaussTek

GaussTek Loyal Member

Hey guys... I omitted a very important part in this summary. I actually thought this was widely known or something like that, but seems it was not lol. Well, GeoHot also met with Sony engineers (on May, last year) to describe his "hacking methodology".

Sorry about the omission!

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    8. 49
      macca247

macca247 Loyal Member

So let me get this straight egohot hacks the ps3, Sony then remove otheros because of egohots hack then the whole hacker community go after Sony shouldnt they have gone after egohot for making sony remove otheros? Also does anyone care about some kid hacking a console when you've got western governments electronically monitering its own citizens more and more? Or finding out just how much petrochemical companies are screwing everyone?

9. 13,392
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      no, the security failure was sony's problem, they could (and should) have fixed it but took the "easy" option to just remove it.

put it this way, when the psn was breached did they remove that permanently or did they fix the problem?

if sony had issued a firmware update that disabled other os and clearly stated that the were fixing it and would restore it as soon as they could then much of their subsequent issues wouldn't have occurred, geohot, failoverflow and graf wouldnt have set to work to restore linux, sony wouldnt have had them arrested and then used the courts to rape many peoples privacy which wouldn't then have stirred up hackers around the world to act out of revenge.