How to play online TUTORIAL!!! And all things online!!!

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by Distortion27, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 126
    Distortion27

Distortion27 Loyal Member

Hello all. I noticed some people are having trouble getting online to work with Gateway so I've created a tutorial on how to do it. Someone suggested a sticky thread for all things online so if a mod could sticky this that would be awesome.

A few things to note before starting.

1. If you want to play online you have to start the game over. With card 2 games (Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing New Leaf) using a rom that has already been played will give you an error. You have to do this with a brand new rom.

With every other game, you can use the rom you already have but it will not use your save. Instead it will replace it with a new one. There is no way around this as far as I know.

2. I would make a back up of your Micro SD and SD card just in case.

And now the tutorial

Things you will need.

A physical retail copy of any 3ds game. It doesn't have to be a game with online, any game will work. I used the header from my copy of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing New Leaf and it worked perfectly

Gateway ROM Patcher
    http://scene.releases.free.fr/tools/download.php?dl=GRP_v1.2

That's all =D

Dumping your retail game (Your SD card must be big enough to hold the game you are dumping or else you will get an error)

1. Insert your retail game cartridge into your 3ds

2. Go to the Gateway menu and select "Backup 3DS Game Cartridge"

3. Press [START] to dump Game. Wait for it to finish

4. Press [A] To Exit

5. Turn off the 3ds and Take out the SD Card

6. Open the SD card on your computer. There will be a .3ds file where your .sav files are. This is the rom that was created from your retail game. Move this to your desktop.

Extracting the header

7. Open Gateway ROM Patcher and click "Load ROM"

8. Open the .3ds file on your desktop

9. Click "Export header to file" and save the .bin file to your desktop

Injecting the header into your rom

10. Make a copy of the game you want to play online and put it on your desktop

11. In Gateway ROM Patcher click "Load ROM" again and this time open the rom you want to play online

13. Click "Import header from file" and open the .bin file on your desktop

14. A message will pop up saying "This Chip ID seems not adapted to your ROM size. Can I suggest a better value?". Click yes. (If the Chip ID is the same for both roms this message won't pop up and you can just skip to step 16)

15. Copy the info from Cartridge ID on top to the Cartridge ID box below. The Chip ID box should have already been filled automatically when you pressed yes before. Click "Apply".

16. Close out of Gateway ROM Patcher

17. Change the file extension on the rom from .3ds to .3dz. Put the rom on your Micro SD, load it normally, and play online.

The Manufacturer remains the same however and it might be the wrong one. But try it first and if you can go online after doing these steps, that must be the cause.

That's all there is to it. If you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer them as best I can. I hope this helps at least some of you. Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  2. 17
    mahboaby

mahboaby Loyal Member

I know you said that a physical 3DS game is needed, but is there any way to get this working with a legitimate digital copy of the game? I have Mario Kart 7 pre-installed on my 3DS you see.

3. 1,961
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Not to be a dick distortion but about the card 2 games you really have no idea what the hell youre talking about. Most of the card2 games have button combos to delete the save which is all you have to do to play them as a .3dz. You Do Not need a new rom.

4. 394
    kazul

kazul Loyal Member

(ret) Army
    Might I ask what is this button combo? I remember doing one I read for animal crossing awhile back because I couldn't get past the "corruption" thing and the button combo did not work. That problem however is sorted out lol I'm just asking what some of the combos could be.

5. 126
    Distortion27

When I did it with Pokemon X it just gave me an error and I couldn't do anything. And that wasn't the point. New rom or not you have to start the game over.

6. 126
    Distortion27

I don't think there is a way to do it with a digital copy of the game. Gateway can only dump a physical game. If you know someone with a 3ds game you could borrow theirs or find a cheap used game.

7. 1,961
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Well yea.... that wasnt the issue. The issue is you are giving out incorrect information. And not all people have to start over. If you played the game on classic mode(retail cart) you can keep your save even for online.

Kazul for pokemon the button combo is up(on the d pad not the stick)+x+b.

8. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

Hold A, B, X, and Y while the game boots up.

9. 6
    Ifalloffchairss

Ifalloffchairss Loyal Member

So if I've got a ROM with 6 hours played on it, I can't continue that saved game once I go through the process that Distortion described? Or I can..with the series of button presses? I'm just a bit confused on that part. Either way, it's only 6 hours in so I can just start the game over if there's no way to continue using my current save file. This is for Pokemon Y, by the way.

Also, thank you Distortion. Off I go to delete a thread I made to ask about this very problem before I searched well enough to find this post -_-. Many many many thanks, if I can get it to work!

10. 394
    kazul

kazul Loyal Member

(ret) Army
    If you have to change your rom from .3ds to .3dz (vice versa) you will lose all progress. The button presses are just to delete the file off of a card 2 rom when the file corrupts because you have a .3ds save file for a .3dz game.

Ifalloffchairss likes this.
  11. 1,961
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Ok the button combo is to delete your save. To use the save from a retail cartridge you have to have played in gateway classic mode with the cartridge. If the was no classic mode involved you have to delete your save and start over

12. 6
    Ifalloffchairss

Kazul and Cameron,

Thanks so much for the info. I'm totally cool having to restart, just glad I found a way to fix the online issue before getting too far. Cameron - thanks for chiming in on my other thread despite it being prematurely posted before giving the search function another go. Glad I found this one, I'll be doing it tomorrow with hopes of getting it to work.

13. 394
    kazul

kazul Loyal Member

(ret) Army
    No problem. Should you ever have any other questions don't hesitate to ask but if you think your question is a basic question I hope you'll at least do a quick google. We'll still help anyway though haha.

14. 6
    Ifalloffchairss

Haha thanks, really appreciate it. Yeah, I had some search function issues on my other comp..or my phone. Whichever it was. But gave it another go once I got home and *ta-da* found this thread solving the problem. Again, cheers to all you guys in here who helped!

15. 1,961
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Thats pretty much what happened to me. I hit post reply and 20 minutes go by and i pick my phone up and its stuck in a loading loop. So when i hit refresh..... bam.... post 20 minutes too late cause you edited it by then lol.

16. 8
    MonsterMuffin

MonsterMuffin Loyal Member

Has anyone had trouble with Gateway ROM patcher? I can load roms and export a .bin however when trying to patch I get an access denied error, I have tried on SEVEN different machines and tried loading the ROM from different locations and it just keeps telling me access to xxxx.ROM was denied. Can't find anything on the net, help would be appreciated! Thanks.

17. 1,961
    Cameron

Cameron Loyal Member

Try running it in admin mode.

18. 8
    MonsterMuffin

MonsterMuffin Loyal Member

Tried, no go. Ensured that perms on the file were r/w to all users/system still nothing.

19. 6
    Ifalloffchairss

Haha yeah, looks like the site was just being stubborn, then. I'm gonna give this a go later and I'll post if it is successful or if I run into the problem stated before by Muffin.

20. 126
    Distortion27

Not sure what would cause that. What rom are you trying to patch?