Investors want Microsoft's new CEO to kill Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 10, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM
  1. 22,245
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    And Bing and Surface.

According to The Washington Post, investors want Microsoft to abandon what they view as non-essential product lines for the company...

[​IMG]

According to The Washington Post, two influential Microsoft shareholders want the company to "kill" Xbox, Bing and Surface, so they can focus on its core strength: selling enterprise software to businesses...

Here are some excerpts from the article:

You can check out the full article on the link below!

NEWS SOURCE: Investors want Microsoft's new CEO to kill Xbox Bing and Surface (via) WashingtonPost

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 10, 2014.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. 13,414
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      ms did a pretty good job of that already when they announced xbox one.

2. 22,245
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      I give this motion a 60 to 70 percent chance of happening over the next year.

Battlefield and Artlover like this.
    3. 1,237
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

They have good competition now, unlike the 1st year of the 360. Just my opinion, I'm not saying the Kinect is to blame buit the Kinect is to blame.

somenutter likes this.
    4. 13,414
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      well, for me i'm not to bothered by kinect but i was hugely bothered by the always online, must check in, retail as digital, rights stealing plans they had for their (us)tv/(us)sports system that also plays games coupled with thr nsa revelations that showed ms couldnt be trusted in any way.

Battlefield and Artlover like this.
    5. 105
      Crimson Blade

Crimson Blade Loyal Member

I agree with Surface, Why does MS need to make their own tablets anyway when third parties are making them. Surface doesn't have any standout unique quality that a Dell...windows...tablet. (sorry for the excesive periods, I don't get a cut of the shoplink insertion, so 'I will Break Them!') lacks.

Bing I'm split on, Microsoft went through a lot of trouble integrating it with their software, it's a lame service but yanking it would impair other MS software products. So Bing sucks, but deleting it will suck more right now.

X.box I'm not on board with, The hardware has been rather successful these decades, the marketing division needs to be purged (all the XB1 hate stems from bad marketing decisions and a complete lack of demographic focus grouping.) I could maybe live with an Xbox LLC. that's 50% owned by MS, provided the marketing division is actually competent.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
      somenutter, Ichijoe and Misfit like this.
    6. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      I'm surprised that they can. I thought limitations in what they could get involved in hardware wise was a condition of their anti-trust.

How so?

Nothing really relies on Bing specifically, and would just as easily work exactly the same if Microsoft's product lines default search engine was set to something else. Like Google, Ask, Dogpile, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, AltaVista, Go, Galaxy, Lycos, GigaBlast, WolframAlpha.... Even their own alternatives like MSN (though I suspect if they want Bing gone, they want MSN gone as too)

On the other hand, how many people really know or care anyways? I know that as soon as I install anything windows related that comes with Bing intergrated in anyway, I immediately uncheck the install Bing check box if it has one, or subsequently uninstall, remove, delete or disable Bing functionality so that it is only available to me if and when I decide I want to use it (which is only for 45 seconds per day, exponentially counting up in the search bar to earn my free Bing points that I use to buy XBL credit with because I'll be damned if i ever buy DLC with my own money!)

Only place I'm stuck seeing Bing against my will is the Xbox360 dashboard, and that doesn't mean I have to use it. Of course, sadly, the XB1 and Windows 8 try to throw it in your face too. At least as far as Win8 goes, you can still get rid of it, so..... To me, Bing is just a goofy console thing. :)

No, all the XB1 hate is because it's a pile of crap. While I'm sure a better marking team could very well sell an overpriced, under performing, 2-3 generation old PC laden with useless features that gamers on a whole don't want as a shiny diamond to a greater percentage of the unsuspecting rubes out there, most of us know it's a dull turd.

AlbedoAtoned and somenutter like this.
    7. 1,237
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

It just adds $ and uses resources for an underwhelming "Virtual" experience. The competition is $50 less, better hardware and more interrested in gamers and gaming. As for TV features, what the hell where they thinking?

8. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Bud you really should give that one a rest as going on and on about something that never happened and has not affected anyone is rather pointless, you may as well go on about how the Russians and Nazi's are screwing you over as the plans they had for us weren't that great either even if the never happened. With so much real stuff to complain about and so much stupidity at MS that is actually happening and flaws with the hardware, software and whole approach, whinging about non existent things and things that are now only could have beens seems rather pointless. MS have dropped the ball on so many fronts with the XB1 it's not funny, but one of the few things they got right was seeing the light with the DRM crap before it was to late, and harping on about how they should never have done it yada yada is rather irrelevant, and sounds like you wish they had done it so you could have a real whinge about it, not that any extra ammo is needed for hole picking in MS and the XB1 right now.

9. 6,348
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

The only problem for MS if they quit now or within the next year, good luck trying to do anything similar in the future because people will remember that expensive console they dropped as soon as it launched.

Although it's not my cup of tea as of now, I think we should all be concerned if MS do leave the console market because you know Sony will try to take the p*** again like with the PS3.

Bing, not sure about although I only use it as a backup to Google.

Surface, I'm surprised they bothered with this rather than going with OEMs or partnerships like with Nokia.

I'm also surprised the investors didn't call for MS to abandon Windows Phone.

somenutter likes this.
    10. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      Given what happened with the KI Tournament, and that they are planning an XB1 without a optical drive at all forcing everything to be drm laden digital only, your point is invalid.

They WILL and ARE trying every back door method they can to make sure your friend DRM will be there.

If they dropped it, I'm quite sure they would do so full well with no intention of ever trying again, so I don't see this as a factor.

billysastard and rednekcowboy like this.
    11. 6,348
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I'm just saying it could hinder possible OPTIONS for them in the future since you never really know what's coming.

It doesn't have to be consoles but anything they design (even in conjunction with other OEMs) which isn't a PC could make any type of consumer concerned over support.

12. 1,257
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Loyal Member

LMFAO, if you think M$ actually dropped the whole DRM, you are severely delusional.

AlbedoAtoned and Artlover like this.
    13. 856
      wrathchild

wrathchild Loyal Member

If Microcrap gets rid of the xbox it would be a disaster for us gamers. We need the competition to keep each company trying to out due each other. That's what keeps them motivated to come up with new ideas and improve our gaming experience. The same goes for android and ios devices. If Apple had never got into the phone business we'd still be stuck with shitty phones. Competition is what keeps technology growing.

AlbedoAtoned and somenutter like this.
    14. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

so... let Xbox die

Sony will self destruct by getting too greedy and having no real competition in at most 2 more generations...

Nintendo might get a leg up again too

and Microsoft just might start to give a crap about PC Games again, which they neglected long enough that we now have "Mantle" which is just about ready to start challenging DirectX

it would only maybe suck for the consumer zombies who already jumped on the Xbone (while it is new, expensive and has not enough games to offer just yet), but i guess they would just drop most of the support (so no 20 new dashboards in the next 5 years, at worst no more MS exclusive games), nothing is stopping them from cashing in on 3rd party deals and their already in place online services for the remainder of the systems lifetime.

i know nobody who uses Bing
      and Windows Phones are the least interesting thing on that market too, they came just a little too late to the game.

i wouldn't mind seeing any of those go away again.

15. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      Xbox is a fairly new console in retrospect, and the scene wasn't suffering before it came out.

Dafuq are you talking about? We had full color touch screen gui operated smart phones with cameras and wifi and all that junk YEARS before the first rip off iPhone ever saw the light of day. All Apple has (and ever has) done is rebrand what already existed at a higher price and HURT competition by suing everyone else who even thinks of trying to do anything remotely similar.

AlbedoAtoned and billysastard like this.
    16. 1,786
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Unless the Failbox starts to look like a loss leader, and I don't think its happened yet, and the Devs all stay on board I highly doubt the XBOX is going anywhere soon. Besides who the Hell would want that? As it would just basically leave us with S0NY! And, as much I prefer S0NY over MicroSoft this last (Current Gen), even I would have to admit that this would be a very bad thing to happen.

Now as to them ditching the Surface? This can only be a good decision!

If anyone actually thinks MicroSoft will suddenly retreat back to the Enterprise is likely in for disappointment, and buthurt!

somenutter likes this.
    17. 1,257
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Loyal Member

I actually don't think you'll see either Sony or MS around in the console industry for very much longer. Shareholders speak volumes, so MS might not have a choice and Sony is pretty much bankrupt and can't afford to keep dumping millions in R&D. Something has to give somewhere.

Mind you, they both dug their own graves, IMHO.

I mean, let's face it, both companies only had one great console--the original Xbox and the PS2. They've been steadily destroying the industry since then....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
      AlbedoAtoned likes this.
    18. 1,237
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

Anyway,,, it's safe to say that there are millions of delusional fan boys who will defend the XB just as the Hordes defend iPhone's.

The Xb1 is going fine and the investors should just sell their shares, Surely their iPhone has an app for that.

19. 170
      Y2Bogus

Y2Bogus Loyal Member

So Wii U isn't selling, Sony is on the brink of bankrupcy, and investors want MS to dump xbox. This gen is off to a super start!

At this point, I think I'll stick to last gen just a tad longer.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.