hit tracker

It's official: Nintendo Switch owners prefer Handheld to Docked use

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Nov 1, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Nov 1, 2017 at 8:14 PM
  1. 24,395
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    New data reveals that most people aren't leaving the Nintendo Switch docked. The concept worked.
    [​IMG]

So there you go, people thought the idea of Switch'ing between a console to handheld mode would not work, but it seems big 'N' idea has caught on, except for one problem most people are using it mainly in 'handheld' mode, instead of playing on their TV with it in the Dock.
    nintendo-switch-usage-1-1200x675-c.jpg nintendo-switch-usage-2-1200x675-c.jpg

So what do you think about these stats, and as Nintendo Switch owner which gaming mode have you used the most and why?

NEWS SOURCE: It's official: Nintendo Switch owners prefer Handheld to Docked use (via) DigitalTrends

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Nov 1, 2017.

1. 282
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

please explain to me how this was nintendo's idea when tablets and other devices have been able to operate on the go and connect to your home tv.

even the MORPHUS X300 did exactly this, which came before the switch.

thing is, how valid is this because if you check nintendonts FB page, it also asked the same question and a lot of users were saying they prefer to play on the big screen.

think for those that play in portable mode likely cant be arsed using it as a home console because it looks shite, the cheap plastic crap that you dock your expensive tablet to, causes damage and games run in to problems trying to play on the big screen.

but nintendo to take credit as if its made something work...... what exactly? copying off tablets and mobile devices which people have been playing on the move for decades.

and love how they keep claiming its got new stock, for many months no where ever i go i see game stores have them in stock, i dont get what advantage you have to try claim its hard to find, we all know nintendo love to keep supply short and demand high, but to claim its demand is high when its not.

and again we see nintendo boast sales and comparing to the wii u....... yup nintendo you have combined two markets here, so lets not try sound impressive by comparing to your DOA console, lets also add in your handheld market too.

2. 1,086
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

I prefer it docked. I'm not in a situation where I need it on the go.

3. 282
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

i think also, a lot of the fanboys use "portable" as an excuse to cover up that all the switch is getting is shitty indy apps, or old shitty ports.

I question how many actually play this on the bus or tube, ive yet to see anyone pull out a switch and play it, bet not many ever play it out and about, but would at work or someone elses house.

i think the question nintendo should be asking is why, because i bet a lot of people will say its shitty ports look and run like crap on the big screen, playing on a smaller screen makes it less noticable.

4. 6,562
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Personally, I rarely ever play portable consoles in public (going back to the gbc), mainly used them either for exclusives, friends houses, around the house, while at different property, etc.

Tablets and mobiles seem to be the dominant portable device Ive witnessed in public.

I wonder if parents are getting Switchs to distract kids? My nephew was basically glued to his ipad because of paw (someone please kill it) patrol.

5. 554
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

I can see it getting a lot of use in handheld mode more than docked mode.

1. The system tends to have issues when running in docked mode, the resolution is higher but there are more framerate issues.

2. Many fans likely got one because the tv is being used so now they can play their games, and they can excuse the lower graphics as A.) due to being portable. and B.) it's not like they'd ever be able to play those games in a better form anyway, their tv is always in use and they can't afford to pay another several hundred for another console or to build a gaming pc since they just spent several hundred on a system they thought would be more useful to them.

But note, that people keep throwing around the word "portable" but the switch really isn't portable. It's not really any more portable than the wii u's gamepad was. Psychologically, many people will use it in undocked mode though. They just spend $300+ for it, and the only thing that sets it apart from the other platforms besides lower graphics is the ability to undock it and play it like a handheld somewhat. It's why Nintendo really wanted to show off that aspect, the aspect of people playing it on the shitter, in their bed, at social gatherings they have no real desire to be at. But people likely aren't really taking it on the go. Some people will bring up a niche case like you're vacationing in hell and there are no tv's in hell, but thank goodness you brought your switch with you. Too bad nobody told you there were no power outlets because your fun will end in only a few hours.

But again, most of the fans are practically forcing themselves to use it in as many situations as they can to make it seem useful. Because otherwise they would have to confront their buyer's remorse.

In a few years, if the Switch gets enough exclusives, I'll consider getting one. I'm not under any illusion of "skyrim on the go" or any of the other games Nintendo fans suddenly decided to care about. Rather it will be for those games that are held hostage. Maybe I'll even play it when laying down, but I'm not going to force myself to take it with me or play undocked as much as possible. I would buy it for the games, not the promise of some feature's usefulness, especially when it's also used in ways to cover up issues.