hit tracker

KitKat accused of copying Atari's Breakout

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Aug 19, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Aug 19, 2017 at 11:33 PM
  1. 24,375
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Nestlé has been accused of copying Atari's classic arcade game Breakout in a KitKat marketing campaign.
    [​IMG]

Atari is on a comeback phase, so they are not taking too kindly to anyone using their 'classic gaming images/design' for their own marketing, as such KitKat and Atari are going to war over their recent campaign, that Atari claims is to similar to their Breakout game.
    Sadly, since the news broke, sites like YouTube, even Vimeo, and VK in Russia, and of course Facebook and Twitter have removed the 'video commercial' as links to it were mentioned in the original filing of the lawsuit, and they don't want to be wrapped into the court fight also between the two giants, but we have courthouse files attached below for your reading pleasure which goes into details about invention of 'Breakout', and how Atari pay only $5,000 for the original work to Steve Jobs, and his partner, and how they have the right to defend it even 40 years later, as its 'games' that make the industry, afterwards we love to hear your comments on the whole drama.

NEWS SOURCE: KitKat accused of copying Atari's Breakout (via) EuroGamer

Attached Files:

Comments

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Aug 19, 2017.

1. 6,561
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Trademark maybe, but wouldnt breakout have had its copyright expired by now?

The games been cloned so many times that seeing them complain now seems weird and more of a cashgrab than a legitimate concern, I know arkenoid more than I know breakout.

2. 24,375
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      @tech3475 - Like I mentioned in the news post, its because Atari is in their 'comeback phase'.

They just released the latest Atari Flashback via ATGames, and they are also working on releasing their AtariBox, and that will contain the Atari Vault, which is collection of 200 games playable on it, along with also versions of XB1 and PS4 in the coming months.

As such all their older games have had their Trademarks renewed and licenses updated, and having this commercial hit right during their major upcoming Atari comeback campaign, hurts, them in way as they don't want to see as if KitKat is endorsing them or something.

tech3475 likes this.
    3. 6,561
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I can see there being potentially other lawsuits in the future if they believe that the gameplay is still protected.

The name I could understand but the gameplay of various Atari games has been cloned numerous times by now, even back in the day Nintendo cloned Pong.

4. 24,375
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yep, Atari not going to like if they go after everything out there after 40 years, there so much 'clones' and similar games out there.

In a way, I think its like 'cash-grab', as they have big plans, but not the 'funding', even with AtariBox, their KickStarter page for it will be launched soon to raise up the cash needed to build it, but if they keep up this throwing lawsuits at everyone, they will lose out, as loyal fans will get upset, and social network backlash will hurt their funding goals for sure.