KODI formerly XBMC, the subject of Crackdowns over 'Fully-Loaded' Boxes

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, May 4, 2017.

By GaryOPA on May 4, 2017 at 7:28 PM
  1. 24,158
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Descended from Xbox Media Center software, it's a crime wave to copyright cops!
    70% of Kodi Installations Are Configured to Access Unlicensed Video Content

You know a technology's gone mainstream when the tabloids start yelling about it.
    This year the Sun, the Mirror, the Express, and the Daily Star have run splashes ranging from "Kodi Crackdown" through "Kodi Killers" to "Kodi TOTAL BAN!".

[​IMG]
    We here at MaxConsole have been around since the start, when XBMC was born and was the Killer App to install on your modded original Xbox console, since those humble start, the team moved onto and became more mainstream out of the underground and even changed their name to Kodi, and for a while have enjoyed their new found award-winning fame.

But now they are becoming the subject of 'crackdowns' around the world, with UK leading the way, with media calling them the 'Kodi Killers', and places like Amazon stopping any importing of Android TV Boxes with 'Kodi' installed, as there is no way without booting them up to see if they are what is called 'fully-loaded' boxes with those underground streaming plugins or just plain default installs.

And oversea websites like Gearbest have decided to add disclaimers that their boxes no longer come with Kodi or support for it in an attempt to get them thru customs, but the crackdown across the world continues and now today Sandvine released an in-depth report on the Kodi Killers claiming the usage of 'fully-loaded' boxes is over 70% now, in the end its sad to see how the mainstream world has turned against Kodi after all these years, when in truth they are not at fault, its the install of added 'extras' and the 'file-sharing hosts'.
    You can read the full attached report below, and afterwards we love to hear your thoughts on the whole Kodi/XBMC crackdown! :(

NEWS SOURCE #1: 70% of Kodi Installations Are Configured to Access Unlicensed Video Content (via) NewsWire
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Open source TV app inspires full-blown copyright panic (via) ArsTechnica

Attached Files:

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, May 4, 2017.

1. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

I miss those days. I didn't really find this site until the 1st PSP homebrew started showing up. I was an active forum member then, but with a different account. Looks like most/all of the old forum members have moved on. I miss Xbox-Scene too. I loved looking at all the code samples in the forums for the Original Xbox dash and trying to mod my own special version of it. It's what got me into coding actually. I also waited for years for Team UIX to release their 2.0 dashboard, but it never came out. :( P.S. I also remember using your Birdy flasher tool to flash my xbox 360 drive.

2. 6,531
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

The Sun, Express and Daily Star.

For anyone outside the UK, note that these are some of our trashy papers and to top it off the Sun is owned by NewsCorp who in turn also have stakes in broadcaster Sky (Rupert's son James is chairman of it as well).

I've been using Kodi for about 10 years now, without using the plugins behind these complaints.

That said, I do know people who have started equating Kodi to piracy plugins, installed vanilla Kodi on someone's system and people thought I would also install one of these plugins (never planned on it).

3. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

There is a good reason Kodi is equated to piracy, and it's not just because of the plugins. It's original purpose was to play mp4/mkv files on Xbox. Now technically that could be used for legitimate purposes. But honestly, it was just a way to play pirated movies on your TV. Otherwise you had to watch them on your PC.

However, these days every console and blurry player supports pirated movies. The ban on KODI is completely unjustified.

4. 24,158
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      It was suggested today by Italy to the EU there should be $500 Euro fine for each 5gb you stream from non-legit sources.

Also Netflix has recently setup a team of 'coding experts' to try to figure out a way to 'break Kodi' and other players like VLC from being able to play streams, basically a new form of DRM encoding that will not be able to be removed, making these open-source players useless.

Of course everything over time gets broken, just recently an 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray was ripped and released to the scene, which means AACS v2.0 most likely has been cracked.

But the cat&mouse game will continue and for now KODI is being singled out, which is a shame but you can blame the large Chinese warehouses for causing it by selling android tv boxes that were 'fully-loaded', now there no way for customs to really check during shipment if the box is 'fully-loaded' or not, making the job tougher, so its either stop all forms of TV boxes at the shipping depots before they even reach your country, or try the more costly legal arrest way at end-point sellers which has occurred already with a few big cases going thru the courts.

5. 6,531
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

You could say that for any media player though, even back in the day.

Also, you forget dvdrips, etc.

6. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

I remember DVD rips. They were very time consuming, inconvenient, expensive, and not worth it. Converting the rips back to mpge2 (DVD codec) made the quality look like crap, and there was always audio sync problems. Afaik, The only media players back then were DVD players and VCRs, laser disc, etc. I don't remember any device being able to connect to a tv and play media files besides an xbox with XBMC.

7. 6,531
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Any transcoding of a lossy codec will result in a loss of quality to at least some degree.

One alternative to the Xbox prior to the 7th gen consoles was to hook up a computer to the TV, I still remember having a long svideo cable going from my desktop to my TV or moving my parents laptop around.

I still regularly rip discs though.

Freezerbomb likes this.