Kodi is coming back to the Xbox as a UWP app

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 9, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 9, 2017 at 12:38 PM
  1. 23,351
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    If you've been using Microsoft's gaming consoles for long enough, then you'll remember the Xbox Media Center, also known as XBMC.

Over time, XBMC was ported to other platforms, stopped being supported on Xbox, and became Kodi.
    [​IMG]
    But now, thanks to the fact Xbox One console allows for Windows 10 apps under their UWP system, the developers behind Kodi are busy polishing up their popular media center to be sent off to Microsoft soon for UWP approval, which means we will see Kodi return on Xbox.
    It will be something to keep an eye on, the funny thing is currently Kodi is under attack in UK with multiple raids on sellers offering Kodi boxes pre-setup with 'streaming/pirate' plugins, and there is even an RetroArch plugin available, so will Kodi as UWP get full stamp of approval from Microsoft when the time comes, or will it disappear soon afterwards like other attempts to port similar apps over to Xbox.

NEWS SOURCE: Kodi is coming back to the Xbox as a UWP app (via) NeoWin

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 9, 2017.

1. 6,468
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Should point out Kodi itself isn't under attack, it's the resellers who as you say are modifying the install to include plugins.

Still, this type of thing is something I think the Xbone needed at launch, in theory it should be allowed to some extent, although I wouldn't be surprised if MS take it down unless it's severely gimped similar to the "Mr MC" fork.....although there desperation could make them let it slip under the radar.

2. 23,351
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      I think it going to 'gimped', as UWP itself is and it does not allow full access to the XB1 Ram, only 1gig max. is allowed, it will be neat to see the progress, it just too bad its called 'Kodi' now, instead of XMBC, which I still like the last 3.5 for original Xbox release, even tho its limited these days for HD or 4K, it still not bad the old green box in streaming stuff.

3. 6,468
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

RAM wont be an issue, Firestick only has 1GB and even that is split from what I've read.

That said, since it will be open source, it will be tempting to reskin/brand it as XBMC.

4. 200
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

The XBX has, it has access to streaming features, even personal im sure Plex is on there that lets you connect your library and stream where ever and on what ever compatible devices.

only difference is, these are paid for services.

Where as KODI itself is free, but the plugins that bring content for free such as sky, movies tv shows, which is illegal - id be surprised it MS dont refuse it.

because it will be a matter of time before people start using the XBX as a fully pledged media centre with access to sky channels and box office movies all for free.

5. 637
      LordX

LordX Loyal Member

any PC can do it , can't see any problem XBOX ONE will do same , you won't stop pirates by blocking XBOX ONE app.