hit tracker

MagnetPWN is Coming Soon for all Nintendo 3DS Handhelds

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 24, 2017.

By GaryOPA on May 24, 2017 at 10:58 AM
  1. 24,465
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Some are calling it the 'Pandora' of the 3DS era!

Back in the day, the original Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) was basically cracked wide-open once the Pandora battery was found, and now its Nintendo 3DS turn!
    [​IMG]
    Recently, SIGHAX and Boot9Strap was released, but @SciresM, has decided to tease a few clues on what the next big exploit can do on all models of the 3DS currently available!

Basically it works by using a physical Magnet to trick the lid switch until thinking your 3DS is still closed, and then you press and hold a few buttons, and the 3DS then boots-up into special factory mode bypassing all security checks/firmware and loads the special ARM code running from a firmware flashable older Nintendo DS Flashcart.
    Since the original news was teased a few days ago, a video of it working has been released as proof, and short update of when maybe we might see a 'public release', seems to be not until its tested with more different DS flashcarts! :)
    NEWS SOURCE: 3DS Unbricked with Magnet + DS Flashcard (via) GBATemp

Last edited: May 31, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 24, 2017.

1. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

That's really cool! I'm curious how Nintendo and Sony are able to keep stuff like this secret for so long! It seems like employees would leak these tricks on day one.

2. 24,465
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Seems this will also work on the newer 3DS models the N3DS, its just the button combo that been changed, looks like Start+SEL works! :)

3. 6,564
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Just in time for the recent ban wave.

4. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

That sucks. I just read about that. My 3ds isn't up to date, so I can't go online without httpwn. I've only tested httpwn online once, so hopefully I'm not banned.

5. 6,564
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I'm of the opinion that if you hack a console, keep it offline and remove any 'real' accounts if you have DD/DLC on them.

These days never assume that anything like this is safe online.

6. 22
      Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Loyal Member

The reason I hacked my 3ds was for playing Japanese imports. I didn't do it for cheating, piracy, or homebrew. And I didn't want to buy a second 3ds for just playing Japanese games.

I think modded consoles should be in the same boat as jailbroken iPhones & rooted android devices. I don't think that Nintendo should have the right to block all online game services. I believe that should be up to the individual developers.

7. 33
      AroundTheCorner

AroundTheCorner Loyal Member

What we all want to know is if our Gateway friends include magnet tricks in their new update!!

8. 6,564
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I suspect it will be released after the public version, long after they announce it and have a chance of bricking your console ;) .