Maxlander Firmware

Discussion in 'Official 'MaxLander' Support Forum' started by JayCae, Feb 16, 2017.

1. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

Just wondering if the firmware on the Maxlander is upgradeable or even downloadable?

Thanks

2. 88
    crstofer

crstofer Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

The firmware isn't. Software is v1.42

3. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

Bugger.

There goes my idea of writing maxlander firmware on the datel Amiibo powersaves tool

4. 44
    kir1

kir1 Loyal Member

when you first time plug your maxlander to pc and run MAxlanders 1.42 software some firmware updating happens
    thats mean , that firmware is included in MAxlanders 1.42 software
    but i dont know is it possible install it on Amiibo powersaves

[​IMG]

5. 88
    crstofer

working on that idea with a friend to see if it'll work. he's trying to reprogram amiibo power saves hardware.

6. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

That'd be great if it works... I still don't have my Amiibo power save so I can't try it myself

7. 88
    crstofer

I dont know too much about it. He is technical in that field. I asked and he said he'll try it for sh1t & giggles to see if it works.

8. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

I don't think it'd work since the original firmware on the powersave is firmware b version 1.

Maxlander will be firmware a version 1. When you open 1.42 software it updates it to firmware 1 version 2.

The software will be looking for firmware 1 version 2. If it's f/w 1 not version 2, update else don't register.

But I'd be interested to know your friends results.

I believe hardware wise... They are identified except for a print of "sam12" on the U2 IC (see below) which I believe contains the f/w Screenshot_20170217-181832.png

toc likes this.
  9. 23,360
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Worse case you would have to write the firmware in via hardware.

Best case extract the firmware from maxlander app itself and code or find an external flashing software that supports it.

10. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

Would love to do that, but unfortunately my reverse engineering is as good as my heisenberg blue meth cooking.... :)

Edit: if only there were still maxlanders out there for sale..

11. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

I got my datel Amiibo powersaves today and as expected... It didn't work with the Maxlander software.

I unfortunately don't have any skills to reverse engineer that firmware from the Maxlander since I still honestly believe it is exactly the same hardware....

20170307_102832.jpg

Front

20170307_115709.jpg

Back

20170307_115716.jpg

12. 23,360
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    You have to start here, read up on this microcontroller that both devices use:

http://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers/stm32f042k6.html

Find the development tools that allow you to put the device into DFU mode, so you can read and write to its internal memory.

Also you should compare maxlander's other product their NaMiiO it is designed for Amiibo's not Skylander's and is clearly the same product, for sure the only difference between all 3 is what is flashed into that STM32F microcontroller's memory.

You could infact most likely do both in the same product, if you could have a way to select the code, and if there was enough memory to fit both inside, but most likely there is not much room left over in the 32k space.

13. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

Oh wow.. that's VERY interesting.

In theory, I could buy 3 datel powersaves and flash them as a maxlander, namiio and keep the datel product?

I will start reading about DFU mode - the only DFU mode i know of is when restoring an iphone :)

Must find out about this development tool

14. 22
    JayCae

JayCae Loyal Member

So I was intrigued with the namiio comment and thought I'll try and download the software for namiio....

Lol to my surprise it worked and recognised it as a namiio device!

20170308_163750.jpg
    I'd much prefer a maxlander but.. This could work..

I dont have any amiibos or anything though... Don't even have a Wii u or 3ds

And I'm definitely not aware of the chip structure of an Amiibo.. Is it even mifare?

Better read up.. Still would prefer a maxlander though

15. 88
    crstofer

I have Maxlander v1.42 extracted...