Mechinstaller-Phoenix

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by catfish, Dec 8, 2003.

1. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Alright guys,
    The re-write is finally done and the package will be sent out for distribution soon. (after more testing)
    Meanwhile, I've included the new readme...

Feel free to post comments and suggestions.

*updated 1-14-2004

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2004
  2. 0
    Blackhawk

Blackhawk Guest

Let me be the first to congratulate you with this new version, I read the readme and it's crystal clear.

But why exactly do you need a trash bin?
    Just for safety?

I'il test it on some pal xbox's.

3. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

screw testing...
    If anyone can't wait, here's the installer minus the "questionable" files.
    Read "requirements.txt" to learn what files are needed and where to put them.

*updated 1-14-2004 (fixed empty dir issue) (added zipped fonts and xbedump)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2004
  4. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

To answer Blackhawk's question..
    The trashbin is needed so that I can clear old files that u don't want in the backup dir. Since I still don't know how to make Evo-X delete files, I must move them instead.

5. 0
    Chicken Scratch

Chicken Scratch Guest

this great, all i can say is congrats, i am planning on using this method to mod a friend's xbox, a few questions, i cant seem to get the 2bl stuff so i can edit the bfm bioses
    aaand are the two xip files the origonal ones that the xbox has when you buy it from the store?

6. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Find a working boot.cfg file to obtain the correct RC4 and EEPROM keys. It is included with a few other packages if u need it, PBL and Morden's for example.

The 2 xip files should be the exact size as I listed. Most likely the originals from your Xbox should work, those files are the same from the first dash upto 4920. I can't promise that every Xbox isn't shipped with 5659, But I haven't seen or heard of any that come with it. Most seem to be 4920 nowadays

7. 0
    Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

I can't seem to get this save onto a memory card... I've added all the "questionable" files to the original zip... and when I try to put it on the mem card, it almost finishes then it says error copying... which is wierd because if I use the one without the files.. it copies fine...

any idea how to fix this? I'm using the AR software, BTW...

8. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

The entire package should only be around 5.5 megs when all files are in place. (with 256k BIOS's)
    Even if u made 1 meg BIOS files, it should still fit.
    Check to make sure your card is empty and try again.
    If it still doesn't work, hold out till my beta-testers get the package uploaded to the usual places, which should be soon after they finish testing it.

9. 0
    morpheous1777

morpheous1777 Guest

good job

damn catfish, this is one hell of an installer, i have been trying it out and so far not a single problem, It installed everything just as it said it would I like the option to intall either the font only, audio only, and the ability to switch between them with ease

good job

10. 0
    Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

Mine's 3.5 Megs or so.... wierd... I have 1meg bioses, too...

11. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

Ok, I see someone posted the "fonts" over at x-s.
    DO NOT USE THEM!!!
    They haven't been decompressed and will not work. If u don't want to or can't use the installer, use the ones below .

After installing them to C:\fonts , rename the original fonts with the extension of "bak".
    They will run Habibi-signed xbe's in this order...
    1st, Retail game OR D:\default.xbe (habibi-signed from the DVD along side of a copy named "catfish.xbe"
    2rd E:\Hakurs\default.xbe
    3th E:\default.xbe
    4th E:\Phoenix\default.xbe (default install point)

No, I'm not vain... Because retail DVD's would generate error 21, I had to change the DVD filename the exploit looked for. I am rather happy about this as this lets u habibi-sign most xbe's and burn them to CD or DVD and u never have to launch PBL. U can even power-up with one of these disks in the drive and the fonts still kick in.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2003
  12. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

*note*
    No matter what the original Anonymous release said, I have NEVER been able to make these fonts boot Evo-X directly. I may be confused and if so, please tell me how u accomplished this. *edit, thanks to shag, I have been able to load Evo-X, but only from CD, I gave up on Evo-X long before I found the bootable CD thing, so never bothered to try it.* **re-edit: Evo-X will load if the MSDashBoard= option is commented out (# in front) or points to a non-existent xbe**
    Oh, and I have made a "bootable" CD that loads PBL 1.3 which in turn runs Evo-X from DVD first. I really suggest EVERYONE who uses these fonts to make their own with their own personal backups on it.
    I may release a script and dir structure for everyone to make creating one easier. Everyone is welcome to create an ISO for public release using anything I've posted . I just ask that u at least verify it works before releasing it.
    **I also ask that none of my work be posted at xbox-scene, but u can post a link to maxconsole if u wish**
    **XanTium has my permission to post my work on his main site**

here they are...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2004
  13. 0
    GKrobo

GKrobo Guest

will these fonts avoid the dreaded clock loop?

14. 0
    Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

if these are the mechfonts-feenix... or a new version of them, I have sucessfully gotten out of a loop within a few cold boots with them.... but the loop isnt gone..

15. 0
    morpheous1777

morpheous1777 Guest

as far as i know, everyone that has had a loop with the mechinstaller fonts (earlier versions) have successfully come outta the loop

16. 0
    GKrobo

GKrobo Guest

Well i manually installed teh mechinstaller-feenix files...I wanna know if this set has an advantage over those...some times when I first boot up my XBOX it does a few soft boots before goin to the pheonix tabbed dash

17. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

I won't make any promises about the clock-loop.
    But until we have verified proof that these fonts fail on any Xbox I'll have to say yes, they avoid it very well.
    I have been testing these for about a month and I've forced about a dozen clock-resets during that time (2-6 loops). I have found that powering off before looping is more likely to bring a dead clock out in 3 loops or less. In the readme I have mentioned a "no-boot" loop which is more likely to occur than a reset clock.
    No matter what, I still recomend getting a backup onto your PC as soon as posible.

18. 0
    GKrobo

GKrobo Guest

either ways great job catfish...one question when i try to load the gamesave for the installer I cant get passed the parsing screen i have taken the bios file and have made both rom bins and help?

19. 0
    underthebridge

underthebridge Guest

nice work man! thanks alot :D

20. 0
    catfish

catfish Guest

These fonts have the security checks disabled thanks to PedrosPad. Also, these new fonts will boot backups directly, which in the case of Crimsom Skies may be the answer everyone is looking for :-Þ
    I have also changed the default.xbe locations a bit, to avoid conflict with the first release.
    I can't even remeber if the first release would boot retail games, but I know in the new ones, I discovered that they wouldn't until I changed them.