Meet W.A.L.T, the precursor of the iPhone

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Mar 11, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Mar 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  1. 22,206
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Wizzy Active Lifestyle Telephone for wired networks

[​IMG]

Apple introduced W.A.LT. at 1993's MacWorld Boston but never made it to the public. Now a collector is selling his prototype.

We are bringing you here you a piece of Apple's history and a curiosity new that most of you doesn't know (Me neither). It appears that Apple, designed a device which may be considerated the precursor of the actual iPhone. The name was W.A.L.T , acronym of Wizzy Active Lifestyle Telephone and it was intended to wired telephone networks, not for cellular ones. It was running Mac OS 6.0.8 and featured a high-resolution touch screen LCD w/ stylus, hand writing recognition, fax, address book, caller ID, online banking, speakerphone, message pad, and personalized ring tones.

Apple introduced it in the 1993's MacWorld event but the device never made it to public release. Just a few advanced prototypes where made and one of them is now on sale on eBay.

Here is what the seller puts in the description:

So, if you are interested in a 1993's wired smartphone, the initial bid is just 8000$, a bargain as you see :).

PLACE A BID NOW: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200725009827&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for digging up this weird rare item for us to bid on!

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 61
      max1421

max1421 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I personally think he could have sold it for more than 8k

2. 22,206
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yeah I think it about time I open up my vault, I have some even rarer prototypes of electronic history.

3. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

All this fell has to do is get apple to say it's a bargain at 5x the price and the iDiots will make him a tidy profit.