Memcard Installer v0.5 and samsons install.dol hack

Discussion in 'Gamecube Modifications & General Discussion' started by emu_kidid, Dec 21, 2005.

1. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid Loyal Member

Home Page:
    If you can't get big memcards to work with level3 etc, please use Nikita202's format.dol which i have attached here, thanks again Nikita202.

Features:
    Copy up to a 256 block file (2mb)
    Crappy little SLOT1/2 browser (i like to use it to see what my files are named on the actual card)
    Execute level3.dol from memcard.
    Write any GCI file to card without a BBA! (read below)

Note:
    This is a little app that will merge any GCI file into my new program. It will merge a file into it, then when you run it on your cube you can write the file to memcard without the need for CTR-GCS. You can also test your level3.dol file from within this application. This is not for a fixed slot, it can work for slot1 or slot2. It also asks you if you wish to delete the file if it exists.

Also, if you want to make the file level3.dol so it can be launched right away from the AR disc, just name the dol file "level3.dol" prior to passing it through dol2gci.

Usage:

Place your .GCI file in the same directory as the extracted files from this archive and make sure it's named "myfile.gci" then run "makedol.bat" and it will produce a ready to use d0lz'd .dol file.

Do not edit or delete the files called START or END, they're REQUIRED by the program to work. also, here are the AR codes if you've lost them:

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
    3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
    ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

Thx to TyRaNtM for his speedy testing all this :p
    Softdev for dolz 3.0
    Shagkur for libogc
    Nikita202 for format.dol

Tested with NES/SNES/GCoS1.5/EFAL/FZERO/naruto 4/PSO/TOS and GCOM. (GCoM won't boot as level3.dol)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2006
  2. 355
    Sal

Sal Loyal Member

gamer
    Home Page:
    Thansk alot.
    I think I need to make an emu_kidd folder ... ;)

3. 1,134
    Gcentrex

Gcentrex Loyal Member

I tryed them, the Samous modded installer worked and installed changed the (M) code and it worked like normal, the GCOS dol installed but didnt work, it errored with Dol relocate.

I did notice that the Files written to the memory card are in a different order than the original install.dol that Samour released, so I take it you re-writen the level1 AR code to reflect this meaning that we can add AR codes to the data base and nolonger affect the Level2.bin.

If you did manage to do it then great could you also change the (M) code the the universal version instead?.

This is a great release I hope you will make more with other features, I installed both files from my SD card :).

P.S.
    I dont know if you could add this or not but could you add a feature to write a blank image to the memory card too, since sometimes you need to do this in order to make the loader work correctly.

Sorry for the double post but I needed to correct the other post..

Well the DOLinstall.dol did work it written the dol file to my memory card infact it written the file to an AR memory card too, but then the file was run it errored woth dol relocate.

4. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid Loyal Member

Home Page:
    dol relocate most likely failed as the ipl.dol doesn't support loading dol files over itself, i will fix up the install.dol.

Also, that blank file, how big do you want it? 1 block?

Hi, I would like to know, people that use Samsons install.dol or boot from memcard with AR, how are the dol files put on there exactly? (I have no original AR here at the moment so I am unable to test any of this)

For the GCoS file i have done this:
    GCoS has been put as a .dol file with a 0x40byte header making it a proper file on the card. If i use DOL2GCI, must gcos be put on as level3.dol?

Any feedback and info is appreciated.

5. 0
    Alcatraz

Alcatraz Guest

I will try this util soon (I'm at work) because I'm very interested by this util (I don't have BBA, only AR + SD Adapter). I will post feedback soon.

Should I put gcos dol in the same directory inside SD Card as dolinstall.dol, or gcos is INSIDE dolinstall.dol ?

6. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid Loyal Member

Home Page:
    gcos is inside that dol.

7. 0
    sharpener

sharpener Guest

Samson's loader searches the card for any DOL files whose GCCs are "DOLX00" and filenames end with ".dol", so it doesn't have to be named "level3.dol". If you do name it "level3.dol", it will be loaded instead of the Samson's loader menu.

8. 0
    Alcatraz

Alcatraz Guest

I tried the 2 dols provided in mctools.rar with datel memcard/donggle in slot BB (AR 1.14 cheat database inside) :

when I launch Samsoninstall.dol, it asks me to press A, but nothing happen after !!!

When I launch DOLinstall.dol, it say me Card mount status : -5, and nothing else

If you need tester, no problem, I"m here

9. 1,134
    Gcentrex

Gcentrex Loyal Member

Sorry I couldnt reply had some PC and internet problems...........

Its not IPL.dol that gave me the dol relocate error it was GCOS that gave me that error, I know IPL dont work correctly.

About that blank file, I mean can you build a file that can raw write to a memory card, using a blank card image (a 59 and a 251 raw blank image), that way the card will be corrupted and make it so the card can be used correctly with the boot loader. If you can implement that as a feature, I can give you raw blank memory card images if you need them.

As for making GCOS Level3.dol, well that could work, maby to 2 versions one with it as Level3.dol and another as GCOS.dol.

About the way install.dol writes the memory card, this one writes the files in this ordor

Level2.bin
    Level3.dol
    AR

But the original install.dol did it this way

AR
    Level2.bin
    Level3.dol

Just wondering did you edit it to do this and also mode the Level1 boot code? if not and you can edit the install.dol how it writes to the card and how it edits the AR data base, then I will look at editing the Level1 loader code and making it load level2.bin from the Start of my memory card. This means that if a person were to say use a 251 memory card run install.dol on it, then built them self a GCOSAR.dol compressed it with dolz3 and sent it to their card, then they can use it and add AR codes without messing it up cards boot loader :D

10. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid Loyal Member

Home Page:
    ok i fixed dolinstall.dol grab it from the 1st post.
    It now can install both GCOM2.2 and GCOS1.5, and they're both working.

thx to TyRaNtM for testing it all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2005
  11. 24
    TyRaNtM

TyRaNtM Loyal Member

If you use SDloader, i know your problem with DOLinstall.dol.

When you are in SDloader menu, take off the AR memcard and put the memcard that you want to put the files.
    Now launch the app, read the instructions, wait the app to do the job and enjoy GCOS 1.5 final and GCOM 2.2 in your memcard :D (You put one bios and reboot, launch the app again and put the other bios).

12. 27
    ulicis

ulicis Loyal Member

Thanks emukid. But I tried as below>
    -Qoob SX, boot SD loader via DVDR, setup both files to original 251 mem/ 3rd part 251 mem, Try after with AR, Not work, black screen after I cloase the lid
    -Off Qoob SX, Boot AR, Run SD Loader, setup both files to original 251 mem&3rd party 251 mem, Try after with AR, Not work, black screen after I cloase the lid
    -Qoob SX, boot SD loader via AR, setup both files to original 251 mem&3rd part 251 mem, Try after with AR, Not work, black screen after I cloase the lid
    I use AR v1.07. I check all the files are stored (GCOS, GCON, level2,level3,ipl,AR1.07) properly. Does my error came from Qoob SX? :confused:

13. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid Loyal Member

Home Page:
    Did you fix the (M) code? (I'm unsure if AR107 is supported by Samsons installer) Someone here must be able to help you.

14. 643
    emu_kidid

emu_kidid Loyal Member

Home Page:
    Not to worry i'll post a file that should help you out.

15. 24
    TyRaNtM

TyRaNtM Loyal Member

You need to modify manually the Master Code. Are only 3 lines:

ADY0-WXRA-Q1MC4
    3YHW-3R1E-4NPAQ
    ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G

Works in any version. Is good have this, because if you use 1.06 and later you get 1.08 or get a friend who have 1.14, you dont need to modify the master code for every AR version.

16. 1,134
    Gcentrex

Gcentrex Loyal Member

When I get a chance im gonna fixup one of my 251 cards and see if I can use GCOSAR.dol and add loads and by loads I mean "LOADS" of AR codes into the AR data base and see if the loader still works correctly, im guessing it will thought.

17. 0
    gingi

gingi Guest

Sorry if I did something wrong, but this is the first time i'm using Samson's loader as i don't have a bba.
    Action replay only works with it's special memory card, but the samsoninstall.dol only works on my original memory card (when i try it on my AR card it only corrupts it). I also can't use the installer on my original card and copy it using the gamecube memory card manager to the AR card as level2.bin isn't copyable. Am I missing anything?

18. 50
    shadowmx

shadowmx Loyal Member

AR works with Nintendo brand Memory Cards in slot B(I know for sure about the 59 ones, not sure about the 251)

19. 0
    Alcatraz

Alcatraz Guest

Thanks for the info TyRaNtM, and it works, thank you. it's an SDLOAD effect.
    But I want to copy gcos into the datel memcard because I don't have another, so I unplug and plug the same card in slot B.
    So I update my feedback :

I tried the 2 dols provided in mctool20.rar with datel memcard/donggle in slot BB (AR 1.14 cheat database inside) booted with SDLOAD :

when I launch Samsoninstall.dol, it prints a warning because I have a bad version of AR (1.14) and samson wants a 1.06, but it says DONE and it corrupts the memcard (format after)

When I launch DOLinstall.dol, it works well, no problem.

If you need tester, no problem, I"m here

20. 0
    gingi

gingi Guest

Same thing happend to me, I think the Samson installer only works with original memory cards. Will it be possible to make level2.bin copyable so we can install this to an original card and then copy to other cards?