Microsoft to 'fix' Xbox One controller at request of 'Titanfall' dev

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 12, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  1. 21,859
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    And also the console's upscaler.

Microsoft will 'fix' the Xbox One controller so Titanfall players can accurately aim. Beta runs at native ’792p’.

[​IMG]

According to a report by The Verge, Microsoft will issue a software update to "fix" the Xbox One controller at the request of Titanfall's developers, Respawn Entertainment.

Additionally, the dev is also collaborating with Microsoft on an update to the Xbox One's display scaler, which the console uses to upscale games natively rendered at resolutions below 1080p...

In a related note, the Titanfall Beta runs at native ’792p’ resolution on Xbox One, but may increase on the final build, Eurogamer reports. Also, the game runs at "around" 60fps:

More info on the links below.

Titanfall will launch on Xbox One and PC on March 11 in NA and March 13 in Europe, and for Xbox 360 on March 25 and 28.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Microsoft will update the Xbox One controller for less twitchy sim (via) TheVerge
    NEWS SOURCE #2: DigitalFoundry 2014 watch Titanfall on Xbox One at 60fps (via) EuroGamer

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 5,608
      Battlefield

Battlefield Posting Addict Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Goddamn! 792p? haha

Jeez.. Why not run it at native 720p?

Making it 792p just makes the developer look stupid, and Xbone even more.

Artlover and Ichijoe like this.
    2. 1,792
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe New Member Loyal Member

What the hell is 729p anyway Hell my poor assed TV can barely keep up with 720p much less 1080i. At this rate I'd say why not say flip it, and just run it in 4k Mode!

3. 2,653
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Maxconsole Forum Moderator Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      Home Page:
      i really think that microsoft wanting the xb1 to also be a cable box has drastically killed the gaming efforts of the console, and thats really sad.

Battlefield likes this.
    4. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover <b>Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      Yup.

But it's not unusual. Just another idiotic resolution to add to the list of oddball resolutions devs use (see below). Seriously, I'd really like to hear the brainstorming sessions these devs have over resolution.

My reply in the Ryse will actually run at at 900p thread..
      Why? Dafuq is wrong with you devs. Consoles = TV = 480/720/1080. Use one of them you damn fools!

Battlefield likes this.
    5. 1,237
      Misfit

Misfit New Member Loyal Member

I can't even pick 1360 x 766 Via the XB1 at the moment lat alone these wierd ass resolutuons

6. 5,608
      Battlefield

Home Page:
      792p is the way of the developer to say..

Hey! We are so badass and skilled. We managed to get a Xbone game run at a higher res than 720p!
      People laugh at them, because they are unable to make a 1080p game on Xbone.

Now, i wonder how Forza 5 can run at 1080p/60 while the rest of games is like 7xx/p/30?

Artlover: Yes, its very bad with all these resolutions.

I bet you can't see the difference between 720p and 792p.

And 900p? Come on...Thats so retarded that i won't even say anything about it.

Xbone should stay as a American cable box. There is a reason why its maybe delayed 1 year in most of EU. There just isn't enough cable content to add. Its a American console, and thats it.

7. 615
      LordX

LordX Active Member Loyal Member

This is resolution vs anti aliasing vs fps and money spent on dev's time, game optimization cost money.
      this is business, they just looking to make best profit without investing too much.
      sure you can make any game 1080p but it will cost more to make, time is money.
      you have any idea how many ppl working on a game today ? like a small army, and each one want 100k per year in this industry.
      Games are more and more complicated and need much more staff than before. all they care is to finish the project in time with lower cost.
      I care more about smooth game play, without bugs and good anti aliasing than resolution.

Battlefield likes this.
    8. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      Doesn't explain why they make up crazy oddball resolutions, that in the end, create more problems than they solve.

This issue isn't they aren't doing 1080. The issue is that they aren't using 720. Instead using a weird non standard resolution that not only offers no visual benefit, but will actually degrade visual quality even more when upscaled than it would had they just used 720.

Even if MS's scaler was top notch, I wonder what the performance hit is trying to deal with such an odd res. Conversion likes even multiples, not crazy ass fractions.

Battlefield likes this.
    9. 615
      LordX

LordX Active Member Loyal Member

why to use 792p and not 720p , because 792p is better.
      they tested 1080p and it had frame drops under 60fps , so they tested like 900p almost ... but 792p was perfect, job done.
      anyway console will output 1080p, GPU will work on 792p+anti aliasing will be good as 1080p , then XBOX ONE will upscale it to 1080p and only then output to HDMI.
      they look on final picture, looks good , done! where is our profit ?

10. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      No, just because the number is higher doesn't make it better when the end product will just be re-scaled because scaling, be it up or down, is a dirty process and doesn't like odd multiples.

720 to 1080 represent a 1:1.5 ratio which means a conflict every 3rd line for a total of 360 conflicts.
      792 to 1080 represents a 1:1.36 ratio which means a conflict every 2.7 lines for a total of 400 conflicts.
      900 to 1080 represents 1:1.2 ratio which means a conflict every 2.4 lines for a total of 450 conflicts.

Conflicts = artifacting. Dealing with a conflict every 3 line is workable because you have a complete reference that can be blended/dithered against the next to create your new lines with. There is no such thing as .7 or .4 of a line. Which means either working with every 3rd or working with every 2nd, both of which will require some lines to be thrown away during the scalling.

Sure there are all kinds of tricks in scalling to blend, soften, sharpen, etc.. to hide the dirty secrets of what is happening, but they are just that, tricks.

If anything won't be 1080, I'd rather see it at 720 than any thing else in between because the image is has to be artificially manipulated less and will be truer to what it actually looks like.

AlbedoAtoned likes this.
    11. 5,608
      Battlefield

Home Page:
      I agree.

Nintendo is one of the few left which polishes games, and thats why it takes so much time for release.
      They care about quality for consumers, but probably good reviews too.

If Nintendo became sloppy like most 3rd parties, they would be no reason to get a Nintendo console anymore.

Actually Sony mostly release polished games too with not much bugs. Sony games is more patched than Nintendo games, but still nothing compared to 3rd parties.