Modchips now legal in Europe (as long as they’re not 'naughty')

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Feb 17, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM
  1. 22,052
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    A follow-up of Nintendo vs PC Box.

Here's a clarification about the legal status of modchips in the EU.

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago, we informed you that an European court ruled out that Nintendo cannot prevent the use of hacking equipment on its consoles.

Well, site Gamer Law has added further clarification on the legal status of modchips in general in Europe.

In summary, they are now basically legal over there, as long as they are primarily used for legitimate, non-infringing purposes, like homebrew:

There you have it. More details on the link below!

NEWS SOURCE: ModChips now legal in the EU'ish (via) GamerLaw

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Feb 17, 2014.

1. 6,312
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Reminds me of the Xbox modchips which shipped with cromwell to make them legitimate.

This could be good news but it depends on how far it goes e.g. region restrictions, RGH glitchers, etc.

I'm actually finding this funny since earlier I posted about how Nintendo could have just included a homebrew mode, thanks to them they may have now legitimised something which can lead to the thing they're trying to prevent.

I'm not saying whether this is good or not since it still seems to be a grey area (unless I'm reading this wrong) although I'd like it to be good news.

2. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I would like to think that this is great news, but as with all legal or government things... You have to beware of how it is implemented.

But skimming over the surface of it, it looks like they said "OK yeah allowing imported games via a chip? Sure go for it. Play some homebrew? Again it's good! Play burned copies of something because the chip has a copy of the drive ROM in it and is using that to bypass all protections... No..."

At any rate my take on this? Good news everyone :)

3. 26,565
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

In Italy it was always legal, because you are adding something to console. Because it dosen't modify a software copyright protected.