hit tracker

Nintendo Switch Exploit 'smhax' Plugged In Firmware v3.0.1

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by modrobert, Aug 18, 2017.

By modrobert on Aug 18, 2017 at 8:06 PM
  1. 28
    modrobert

modrobert Staff Member MaxConsole News Team Developer

Home Page:
    WARNING: IF YOU WISH IN THE FUTURE FOR 'HOMEBREW' & 'EMULATORS', ON YOUR SWITCH, DON'T UPDATE PASS v3.0.0!
    [​IMG]

The previously known sm:h (aka smhax) bug for Switch which was being exploited privately by a selected few is now plugged in Switch firmware v3.0.1 and made public for that reason. The bug which exist in firmware v3.0.0 and below allows for access/registration/unregistration to/of any arbitrary service with full permissions if the user creates a new 'sm:' port session but bypasses API initialization.
    OFFICIAL SOURCE: --> https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/898210175013834754

NEWS SOURCE: Switch smhax plugged in firmware v3.0.1 (via) EurAsia

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by modrobert, Aug 18, 2017.

1. 1,301
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Loyal Member

The only question I have is why the hell the Nintendo hacking scene is still going on when every other scene has died out or sold out?

Extremely frustrating. Is it just because Ninty refuses to pay the ransom that people are demanding?

2. 6,561
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Nintendo have a bounty program now.

My guess is that either the security is allot better on the others or people simply have more interest in the Switch.

When you look at the 360 and PS3, both of them never saw as much interest as Nintendo's consoles OS wise (although of course they were hacked in the end, spectacularly).

3. 24,374
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Over 5 people have been paid off with the bounty program. -- as long as its not 'public' on blog, keep private amoung friends, one of those can leak it to big 'n' and collect some cash. -- that seems to be circle jerk going on these days! :)

4. 6,561
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I've heard on another site that someone did cash in on someone else's hack multiple times, possibly even acquiring one through illegal means if some of the allegations are true.

I can see the scene getting a bit more secretive because of things like this.

5. 24,374
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      its a shame really, as what big 'n' pays out even for the top level direct arm-trustzone code execution hack is only $30,000, that is nothing compare to what you could really get from the real scene groups for legit private hack, if these so-called 'developers' are doing it for handsouts from big 'n', they stupid when people like GW would pay 3 times or more what big 'n' is offering, so in the end this new form elite circle jerking going on is not helping anyone, keeping it private is silly now, as someone just rats it out for small bounty, so in the end no one wins, it would had been better to had team reswitched just released it publically, at least it would be out there and useable, so what if big 'n' blocks it, at least people would had been aware, not updating, and using it, and others would have expanded on it, in the end, no one got to use it, and news about it was not even released until almost two weeks after nintendo released v3.0.1 so useless now as warning not to update, and even now, they still wondering if to make it public, now that its blocked, all very crazy.

But nintendo scene been like that for a while, the wii u was similar with its circle jerking, after the original wii, it was never the same.

6. 1,439
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I think there's far less "want" for homebrew and emulators too, older hardware that's long since wide open runs the majority of stuff fine, anything newer isn't even close to 100% even on PC.
      And how many consoles can anyone care to run Linux on just to say they did?

There's little reason for it beyond piracy at this point in time, when we reach a generation where emulating PS2/PS3/360/Wii on the latest console can be done very well, I foresee a resurgence, until then it's just dabbling for bragging rights.

rednekcowboy likes this.
    7. 15
      Soluble

Soluble Loyal Member

I will wait patiently on 3.0.0 :D WiiUs still keeping me entertained.

8. 564
      themuse

themuse Loyal Member

i agree with gary for the most part
      except for holding exploits until after they get patched, i would not say it useless, people who want hacks should know not to rush to update, yes they could have announced it sooner but if you know you want to exploit a console you should wait at least that long before updating ,
      i wonder if we will see a switch flash cart before we see a public release my guess is probably yes