Nintendo Switch May Get Wii U Games!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 8, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 8, 2017 at 1:34 PM
  1. 23,351
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    And Other Controller Support In The Future!

Nintendo’s President Tatsumi Kimishima confirmed that Wii U games could be ported to the Switch in the near future!
    [​IMG]
    Nintendo's President recently gave Time magazine an exclusive wide-ranging interview, and in it he dropped more Switch hints! :)
    You can read the full interview here and afterwards we love to hear your comments on his hints that he dropped in regard to possible future Nintendo Switch plans and its support for Wii U. :)

NEWS SOURCE: Switch May Get Wii U Games And Other Controller Support In The Future (via) BleedingCool

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 8, 2017.

1. 259
      happydance

happydance Loyal Member

yeah, I think they already did that wii-u port thingy with Mario kart 8 and Zelda BoW.

Would people would actually re-purchase a game from a console that left a bitter taste? i'm still kindda pissed of with my purchase of the wiiu, with only a handful of worth while games. People might as well just play the game again on wiiu if you haven't sold it yet.

2. 23,351
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yeah, if its 're-buy' its going to be 'bitter taste', its better to offer a way to prove you own the Wii U and get the ported version if not for FREE at least at major discount, either by allowing 'digital transfers' from your Wii U, or verifying the disc exists in your ownership which will be hard to do since the Switch has no 'disc drive', unless they release an 'add-on' that plugs into the usb ports for it.

But knowing Nintendo it will be 're-buy' the game via our Virtual Console, even for the older SNES/NES/Gamecube/DS ones that you bought on your Wii or Wii U or 3DS, you going to have to 're-buy' them again, I doubt they will offer any way to 'digitally transfer' or prove ownership.

3. 950
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

I'm pretty much done with Nintendo at this point. I've had all their systems from the NES to the GameCube, but luckily I dodged the wii. Best thing I ever did was sell the wiiu while I could still get a decent amount for it. The Switch is following nearly the same formula with added drawbacks. I was hoping for another SNES which was top dog of it's day, but nope, they still haven't learned.

4. 6,468
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Nintendo seem to think they're Sony at this point.....when they're really close to being Sega if they **** up the Switch.

There's a reason why MS introduced things like free local BC or the Games with Gold and it wasn't because they wanted to just be nice.

5. 496
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Ironically, the Wii was actually a decent console library wise. It had a lot of hidden gems.

It also set into motion a lot of the events that backfired with the Wii U. Namely, that third parties spent time and money making games for the Wii, and in the end were not rewarded for doing so even when their games were good. It's what makes Nintendo's success so much of a phyrric victory. Yes they won the 7th gen but at what cost?

The console sale numbers told a very different story from reality as most who bought it weren't gamers nor planned on being gamers and either stopped gaming due to it being a fad or became mobile gamers.

Devs spent all of that time and money trying to work with the Wii, to bring out it's strengths and work around it's weaknesses, largely hoping to tap into what they thought was a large audience.

It didn't work out for them though as the actual audience was much smaller and many had no idea in a lot of cases about those games because they were gaming on platforms catered to them.

So when the 8th gen came out Nintendo thought they had everything in the bag because they sold a lot of Wii's and were banking on the audience wanting their next new thing. But the Wii's audience had largely left Nintendo, abandoned them like Nintendo did the gamers. Devs didn't really want to repeat what happened with the Wii and so didn't waste any time in getting their games working on it once it was clear the audience wasn't there. And the effort that WAS made to make games for the Wii U were again unrewarded. Both times, only Nintendo really got any benefit.

But rather than be humbled by the lessons of the Wii and Wii U, Nintendo was ever the example of arrogance, which is why the Wii U is more expensive than a PS4 and XB1, and now to fix their issues they are putting out another console this gen that repeats all of the same problems of the Wii, all except for the marketting. It's the equivalent of trying to put out a fire with a glass of water. But they don't care because they managed to fool everybody into thinking they were the budget option like in the past when the reality is that those who bought a Wii U and want a switch are essentially paying more than double what the other consoles cost. And that's for hardware that just barely beats last gen consoles.

6. 200
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

sick of hearing consoles these days saying we will bring last gen games to our new console..... and have to rebuy them.

only kidding, what did the wii u get worth porting really..... a tiny handfull i think the console ever got in its entire life.

7. 496
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Admittedly there isn't much to port. I look at my Wii U a lot like how I looked at my Wii a few years back. Back then it didn't seem like there were many games for it that were any good, and the reason for that was that it was difficult to find any of them. The Wii had an immense library though with many hidden gems. Some of the best games for it were hidden and the only ones people really knew about were the first party titles and the shovelware which were the only games really being sold. But when I went looking online at the list of games and asking around for hidden gems, I ended up going back and playing a bunch of them and realizing one of the pieces of karma that ended up dooming the Wii U.

Now that it's near the end of the life of the Wii U I've kept much better track of just what is on the system and have gone back several times to see if I missed anything. And unfortunately the library of the Wii U pales in comparison. It has a lot of exclusives sure, and many people were quick to mention that fact. The Wii U's failure wasn't because it didn't have enough exclusives, or even enough games in general. But that the exclusives it did have that were good weren't enough to justify the price tag and the rest were shit. The Wii U also had a lot of first party titles that showed Nintendo was losing their touch in making good games. They cared more about the gimmick than the game, as in the case of Star Fox Zero which would have been a good game, albeit a remake of a game that was already a remake of a game and that had a 3d remake already. But Nintendo wanted the control scheme to be this way and not one that worked. They wanted to justify the gimmicks of the gamepad so much they sacrificed the game.

The irony is that the gamepad had uses. The screen is good for inventory management and maps, but after SF0, it seems like Nintendo reacted as well as a child, by removing all gamepad features from Breath of the Wild. That or they just didn't want it looking better than the Switch port. Or maybe it's a combination of both. Point is, nobody was complaining about the gamepad itself, or about minimal uses, they just didn't want it to be forced so much on them.

That said, while the library is pitiful it does have some good games, which is why the Switch not being backwards compatible is a tragedy. If you want to play said games you'll either need a Wii U or play them in CEMU which has come a long way in such a short time, but isn't quite up to dolphin levels of use but then again, that had years of development. Essentially, Nintendo doubled the cost of this gen. You want all of their games for the gen and you have to buy two consoles. I suppose you could as some have, argue that the Switch will be the first 9th gen, but that doesn't really help the Switch or Nintendo. The Switch is only a little bit more powerful than a Wii U when undocked, and a bit more when docked. But as all games will need to be optimized for undocked gameplay, there really isn't anything to justify the "switch" pun intended. Breath of the Wild will be the Wii U's last game, and it looks like almost everything on the switch would run just fine on the Wii U. It's an upgrade with no justification unless you like the minimal portability of it. But if you just want a console, well fuck you, pay up.

And Nintendo and their fans have been trying to prop up the Switch, by blaming the Wii U itself for everything. It's like a kid who bullies their friend under the bus to look cool. But few want to admit WHY it failed. They want to blame everybody but Nintendo for why it failed when it is clear Nintendo is at fault because they wanted to take advantage of the casual crowd. They roped them in with a cheap console and now was the time to withdraw their investment. But that didn't work, and when it became apparent, Nintendo gave up. Not as quickly as Sony did with the Vita, they gave up like the day it released. But they did give up, and you can tell they never quite appreciated the people that did buy the Wii U. For instance, they released amiibo, physical dlc that you needed to buy to get content that you would usually buy as dlc, and they tried justifying it saying you got other things in other games, but that was usually just a skin, or rather a color change.

Then they started porting most of the good games to the 3ds, and took advantage of previous buyers by making them repurchase the game to get the new content. Heck, speaking of repurchase, they couldn't be arsed to tie 3ds and wii u dlc purchases so you had to buy it twice. Same for vc games, they're just basically just roms and yet you need to buy them for every system you play on, be it a Wii, Wii U, or 3ds, and soon the Switch too.

Even still there's some games that are very good and if they were on the switch you could trade in the wii u for and save some money. But they won't, it isn't really feasible and I can't exactly blame them for not porting them, but the Switch isn't really much more powerful and is a different architecture, so emulating a Wii U is out. They don't give a damn though, that's what they want.

But even though they changed architectures, they still had to do something that would screw over their customers. And that's changing it to something different from the competition. PC, XB1, and PS4 all use similar architectures that make porting between them easier. Nintendo's choice though makes it harder and less likely for devs to port their games to it. So when the Switch stops getting games within a year or two from third parties, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo release yet another system, the "Nintendo Switch Again", throwing the old Switch under the bus like they did the Wii U. And if the fanboys haven't been burned before, they will then.

Or maybe they'll double down like they're doing now. I've been hit with a massive amount of deja vu from back when the Wii U released and while I was more hopeful then, I was still cautious of the Wii U failing. The fanboys don't mind being fucked in the ass repeatedly. As a PC gamer who also games on consoles and handhelds, I can see clearly all consoles nickel and dime you, but when Nintendo does it, it's more like they quarter and dollar you.

WoIverine likes this.