hit tracker

Nintendo Switch Will Only Need One Year to Outsell Wii U

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Oct 30, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:41 PM
  1. 24,380
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    A popular Switch or an unpopular Wii U?
    [​IMG]

Nintendo Switch is still selling rapidly (well shipping) as big 'N' quotes 'shipped' figures in their quarter reports, not infact 'sold' amounts, still it looks like the Switch will outsell the Wii U lifetime sales in just 12 months of sales, but will it stay an hot-seller in 2018.
    In comparison, Nintendo sold just 13.6 million Wii U units in the more than four years that console was available between 2012 and 2017.

NEWS SOURCE: Nintendo Switch Will Only Need One Year to Outsell Wii U (via) Fortune

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Oct 30, 2017.

1. 554
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

It probably will. But then again, it's a pretty low bar. Consider how badly Microsoft fucked up with the Xbone launch, and they sold over twice as much as the Wii U did. Why is that? Because despite the fuck up, to which Microsoft still haven't really recovered from, they didn't give up on it. Nintendo expected the wii u to sell like the wii did, which was like hotcakes, but much of the wii's victory was a phyrric one, built on top of lies after lies not only to gamers, but also to game developers. And so Nintendo didn't quite expect that the wii u would actually take effort to sell, and when it failed to sell anywhere near as much as the wii did, Nintendo gave up. Hell, much of the wii U's failure was due to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Nintendo thought x would fail, and would seemingly sabotage it at times, and so if would sell poorly, despite the red flags being so obvious.

So who gives a shit if the Switch outsells the Wii U. Because what really matters is if Nintendo truly intends for it to succeed, if they are willing to put the effort into it and learn from their mistakes. And that right there is their biggest obstacle. If they can open up to what their audience wants, and become even just a little bit humble, then the Switch will have the opportunity to be successful. It likely won't overtake the PS4, or even the Xbone at this point, because those platforms came out years ago and the switch is playing catchup, which is definitely a disadvantage. But all signs still point to them wanting this to be another wii. They may be putting more effort into it, but it doesn't really seem like they are doing more than the minimum required. With how they treated their customers with the NES and SNES classics, it really has yet to be seen if the promises they made to gamers holds any weight or if they crossed their fingers behind their back like before. I know that if it were me, and I was sincere in my desire to make amends for past mistakes, I would be very likely to go all out to regain as much good will as I could. That means doing more than just playing catch up, but going beyond that to be competitive. But when the competition is for instance open to twitch streamers and let's players, while the switch can only manage 30 second clips, I'm not really buying it. When the competition understands that many gamers want to buy their games digitally and provide at least a good amount of space to start off with, while the switch requires you to buy expensive microsd cards that pale in the space available, and you don't even need a HDD, having an m.2 ssd slot would have been more than adequate. And the fact that even physical games are starting to need extra storage space shows how the costs of using cartridges is being pushed onto the consumer,even with the Nintendo tax. And that's another thing. With the Wii U, Nintendo clearly preferred most games to burn than to lower the price. Everything needed to have an extra premium attached to it because many Nintendo fans think the more something costs, the more it is worth. And this philosophy dominates at Nintendo. Nintendo still seems to have this idea. Consider that the switch comes with a dock, that by Nintendo's estimate is worth $90. Couldn't the price of the switch be lowered by not selling it with the dock? I know that $210 is vastly a more aesthetic price than $300. If portability is what Nintendo fans say it was, why is the switch not allowed to sell without the dock? Of course that does assume that the price of the dock is anywhere near worth what it costs the consumer to buy extras. Then there are the controllers. For most gamers, they just want a good controller. And there's a reason the ps4 controller and xbone controllers are around $40-$50, and that's about the limit that most gamers are willing to pay for a good controller. They also come with the console itself. You buy the console and you get the good controller with it. You pay 40-50 for extras or replacements. The switch doesn't come with it's good controller. Instead you need to buy the good controller, which costs $70. And really, why can't somebody just use the Wii U pro controller which costs $50. I'd definitely rather pay 270 for a console with a better controller than 300 with the crappier joycons which Nintendo values at 40 a piece. Those things are definitely not worth $40. If I wanted to play a game with a tiny ass controller I could by a 8bit do zero controller for like $15. Then the games really show the Nintendo tax. You tend to pay around an extra $20 for a game on the switch than you do on the other consoles. It's even worse when you're a pc gamer because you get so used to everything being a lot cheaper. It's often a big shock to see the game I paid $10 or less being sold for $40-$60 on the switch. Well it shouldn't be a big shock because it was how things were on the wii u as well. For all of the talk about how the vita was a failed console, I had several times more games on it than my wii u and most of the games I owned on the wii u were from the two humble bundles they had for the system. Sony pretty much gave up on it like Nintendo did the Wii U, but unlike Nintendo the vita ended up getting a lot of goodies because of it. Nintendo could never let an opportunity to nickel and dime their customer go to waste. Hence why they rarely touched upon cross buy, not between wiiu/3ds, and certainly not between wiiu and wii. And since the wii u never really got any cheaper over the years all the wile the ps4 and xbone were getting price drops pretty commonly.

Anyway, it kind of goes without saying that Nintendo has been walking on thin ice for a while, and what they need to do is more than just trick people into buying a console they will not support, but to keep their end of the bargains. And they need to stop trying to cheat on gamers, it's not particularly assuring seeing them constantly look for a plan B with mobile gamers in the event the switch doesn't work. We've seen this happen too many times, that the mobile gamers aren't really reliable, and though there's a shit ton of them, Nintendo doesn't seem to understand that the chance any one mobile gamer buys a game is an extremely small fraction compared to gamers that have been gamers for years buying consoles and building gaming pcs. They got caught cheating once before and although they assure us that they are in it for gamers, you can see them glancing constantly at them. Will they succumb to their desires like before, or will they actually do their part, because if they screw up again, I seriously doubt they could ever get back to where they are now.

2. 6,561
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I think Nintendo forgot why the Wii sold as well as it did:
      1) Wii Sports
      2) It was relatively cheap
      3) Wii Sports
      4) It was relatively simple and intuitive
      5) Wii Sports

The Wii U failed to provide a game to get the casuals really excited (if they even knew it was a new console) and was just as, if not more expensive than the competition on launch.

Even then, the Wii may have just been a lucky hit being at the place at the right time.

3. 554
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Yeah Wii Sports really did sell the wii quite well to the casuals. It was basically the game that every casual had, and practically nothing else.

And the thing is that this is exactly why the victory of the wii was phyrric.

1a. The wii came at basically the perfect time. Right before mobile gaming took off, maybe even helping to get it to take off. That was never going to happen again for Nintendo. Nintendo likes to think they can be like apple and sell expensive hardware and expensive software to the casual masses. Most however either already buy apple products like the iphone, and if they have an iphone that does all of their gaming and everything else, why would they buy a gaming console that doesn't have even half of the games they like to play. Then there are android and windows phone users and no way in hell would they pay that much to play a game.

1b. Nintendo learned the hard way that mobile gamers are cheap. Like really cheap, as in $10 for a full featured game is too much. They will pay hundreds over their span in microtransactions, but the pay one time model doesn't work for them. The Wii U could never have competed with that. You have games that arguably aren't even worth $30 at times being sold at 60 and even now haven't really gotten cheaper. The Nintendo tax alone is more than most mobile gamers will pay.

2. Nintendo fans loved to tout how many wii's sold, but number of consoles sold means nothing if only a small fraction of users will actually buy your game. Nintendo and their fans sold the wii as having a large install base, which naturally got many developers to think outside of the box to put games that could work on the wii, since the wii wasn't as powerful as the ps3 or 360 by a long shot. But this was all a lie. So all of those really artistic and unique games went unbought because few who owned a wii actually did serious gaming and these gems were covered up by the massive amount of shovelware. Digitally, the wii shop practically hid all of the gems behind Nintendo's library, Nintendo really took advantage of developers with the wii. The irony is that if Nintendo had actually not done so, had they have done a better job curating who got licenses for retail releases and did better advertising third parties on the wii shop channel, then people would have not gone by thinking the wii had no good third party games. When the wii u came out, all of Nintendo's bad behavior came back to bite them in the ass. Developers were burned from their games not selling. Nintendo fans never walked the walk. They bitched about how third parties worked on other consoles. The devs tried the Nintendo fans suggestions and were not repaid, but their games sold on other platforms. And non-nintendo fans didn't buy a wii u because the wii had very few good third party games. They only saw the shovelware and first party titles and felt burned. The first party titles were not enough to sell the wii u.

But even after all of that, Nintendo could have still saved the Wii U. Had Nintendo made it clear that they weren't catering to the casual audience anymore, instead of using that bullshit term midcore which really means "we're half-assing it". And if they put out more effort to get games on the system. None of that trickle down bullshit they tried with vc games. And actually became competitive with the price. Instead the let the system become more and more irrelevant as the competition came out. They were focused on playing catch up and failed miserably at even that. The wii u just utterly failed to sell itself early on. It was a $300-$350 console that couldn't even bet consoles you could buy for $100 and the games were selling for several times the price of the last gen versions. The main reason for such a price was the gamepad, and they wanted so desperately for it to be seen as necessary but they couldn't do it. Or rather they refused to do it.

But Nintendo still could have saved it.

Ironically, a Wii U is very much owning now. But not due to anything Nintendo is doing.

Basically you get a wii u. Get an external HDD. You hack it, it only costs the price of a DS game. You can then install gamecube games and play them using the gamepad, wii games some of which can be played with the gamepad, others you can't either due to motion controls or how they work. DS games, not all of which work, but quite a few work quite well. And a wide range of other systems such as gba, snes, tg-16 and so on so forth either through vc injects or the emulators. And you get the wii u games worth owning.. WIthout the hack I can't really say that the wii u is worth buying. Maybe there are a few exclusives that are worth it, but generally I found most of them either didn't work right or weren't really worth the price.

Nintendo gave up right away and was clearly just going through the motions with their support. They had utterly failed to sell the gamepad, and their last big game just completely betrayed everything they had been saying for years. The gamepad was necessary, except it wasn't and not even they believed it anymore. But even if it wasn't necessary, they never properly utilized it. They constantly undermined it with their vc bullshit and as many have found the gamepad is quite usable in a number of wii titles beyond the original Xenoblade when injected, And with all of the censorship they did, it was almost as if they wanted it to fail. I think they and their fans wanted it to fail because they don't want to admit that these things take real effort. That you can't normally just get lucky and have a monopoly or capture a new audience. The fans act like the wii u failed because it was cursed or they blame it on the name, which did have an effect, but these things don't utterly fail like the wii u did just because of a name. It takes real effort or a lack thereof for a system to sell this little.