Oakley developing Project Glass-style HUD since 1997

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 18, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  1. 21,843
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Google is not the pioneer here

[​IMG]

Oakley CEO reveals that his company has been working on HUD displays technology for glasses since 1997

Do you believe that Google's Project Glass was the only one of its kind?

You're wrong. Oakley, the famous glasses company has been working on a similar project since 1997.

According to Bloomerg:

NEWS SOURCE: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-that-would-rival-google-s-project-glass.html

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news story!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 18, 2012.

1. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez New Member Loyal Member

Doesn't matter who made it first. The one that will be remembered is the one to make it SUCCESSFUL firts. Who's credited for "inventing" motion controls these days? The fact is that before the wii motion controls had been around for quite a few years; same thing will happen here. Well actually not the same, since at least earlier pioneers in the motion control field released some products, as opposed to Oakley who unless I've been living under a rock have never released HUD equipped glasses.

2. 13,362
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      no, they havent but i did have a set of their bt enabled glasses and they were pretty good.

3. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez New Member Loyal Member

Yeah I remember those... same ones on the pic, didn't particularly like em. Then again, never had any luck with Motorola headsets. For some odd reason, they've never played nice with my phones.

4. 767
      [ACF]Umax

[ACF]Umax New Member Loyal Member

Definitely true, but since they are sitting on over 600 patents in the field, they are probably going to get a huge piece of the pie either way. That's why google aquired Motorola. The dinosaurs in the business hold so many patents that it's very expensive to pay royalties.