Old PlayStation prototype images revealed!

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jan 17, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  1. 22,040
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Looks like the first PS was going to use cartridges instead of CDs.

[​IMG]

A few new shots and images from the first PlayStation prototype were shown today. Yes, is that time after Sony and Nintendo were going to work together to make a new CD addon for the SNES.

New images from the PlayStation, the first Sony machine at early stages, were shown today.

We can see a few different models and versions, including its gamepad. An interesting shot shows that, on an early version, the system was going to use game cartridges and it looked a lot like the SNES.

Yes, we all remember that Sony and Nintendo started a collaboration in order to create a CD addon for the SNES, but that didn't end so well and Sony decided to make their own console (the PlayStation).

The first PS console was launched on December 03, 1994 in Japan, and was launched on the rest of the world in 1995.

You can check the rest of the images in the link below, and in our forums. - There is total of 28 pages of history!

[​IMG]

Imgur Gallery: --> 28 High-Res Images

NEWS SOURCE: Making of: Playstation (via) Reddit

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 0
      LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA Guest

Not new pics, they're from 2009.
      Still very interesting though.

2. 26,565
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Nice both console.

3. 34
      rubberducky89

rubberducky89 Loyal Member

Wow

Not the first time ive read that lol! though its better than 90% of the stories that i have read on maxconsole as of late... how desperate does a gaming/hacking site with personal interest in the pos true blue have to get to start giving money away for bs stories! you want game reviews, go to ign.

4. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      i like the site now its giving game reviews, its about time this site actually starts been a gaming site because its no longer the hacking site it used to be back in the last gen days.

also before used to be littered with whats id class as biased fanboy trash talk, which was only flavoured to the posters dislike for that console.

now it seems the forum has stoped all the negativity and simply posting things thats actually news worthy for each system.

id like to see more of this in the forums, especially 3ds reviews because ive baught that many 3ds games that have ended up been a waste of money, driver been the worse so far.

5. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

If it's th ebig picture one, It still looks like a CD based system, given it looks like a CD tray drive on the front with an eject button next to ut and what looks like the usuall CD logo on the drive. Does sort of remind me of the saturn with it's cart bay at the back that was only used for memory carts. The the cd controls are a bit of a give away as well, tho I guess they were edging thier bets initially as the system was deigned to be a CD based system originally.

yay for sony tho, seems they have always been removing features since the get go ;)

6. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Rentals and doing more than guessing such as reading reviews and especialy customer reviews is your freind, with so many avenues open to you to preview games these days, there is little reason to get som many duds. Rental is always a good option anyway if you can find it as most games can be completed to the point tha you may never play them again during even somthing like a 3 day rental period.

7. 13,385
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      i take it you didnt buy splinter cell 3d then because if you had you wouldnt be complaining about driver

oh and as for bias news, its only bias to someone who sees it that way, its not bias just because its bad news for one company.

8. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

You hear it from the fanboys every generation, even before the Internet I remember reading letters from people to magazine staff saying "Why don't you have more reviews of *insert system X here* is it because you hate *system X*?

They get all uptight for some reason or another that the company that at one time was awesome is now getting its ass handed to it by another company.

This is where being an older gamer helps, I have seen so many ups and downs that I have no specific loyalty to any company. I may cheer when some company does something right or sneer when some company does something loathsome but any company could drop off the face of the earth tomorrow and I wouldn't shed a tear. (Although some companies I would maybe smirk a little.)

9. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

In this day and age there is zero reason to pay for bad games, but so many do it....

I got burned a few times as a kid on 2600 games and still managed to get burned a few times on NES games, then Magazines got popular and after that combined with rentals I never got burned again. Now I buy bad games as a hobby but only if I can find them really cheap at 2nd hand stores :)

Now with the Internet and youtube reviews there is literally no reason to pay full price for stinkers.

10. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

What I found interesting is that the memory cards pretty much stayed at the very first version.

I also feel bad for Nintendo AND Sony that they couldn't reach a better agreement at the time. The PS1 would have been that much better for having Nintendo's games on it. Oh well things turned out pretty good anyway and we did get Castlevania SOTN plus 100 other awesome games.

11. 13,385
      billysastard

Home Page:
      lol i bought sonic collectors edition (ps3) and its not even compatible with either of my ps3's (too high a firmware), its still sealed on the shelf (the game is, the box is obviously opened, worse thing is i have 2 sets of dlc codes in it so i may have been tempted to have used one of them (luckily i have reactpsn for that).

oh and you assume that those internet / youtube reviews will still be available if pipa / sopa / open pass.

12. 13,385
      billysastard

Home Page:
      if it was a certain criminal company and i found out where they were buried i fear that i'd get arrested for urinating in a public place and desecration:D

13. 3,748
      MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

this was all revealed a while ago wasn't it? I am sure I have read and seen these pics elsewhere. oh well, nice refresher.

14. 235
      waddpsw

waddpsw Loyal Member

Looking Busy
      All i will say is thank crap they didnt go with the cart system. Much easier to copy CD's :)
      N64 was a pain to play backups, Ps1 was a breeze.