Pachter: Wii U won’t be 'as popular as probably Nintendo thinks'

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 12, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM
  1. 22,067
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Another controversial statement from the (in)famous analyst.

[​IMG]

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has said Nintendo just 'Dreamcast themselves', at his GameTrailers show Pach-Attack.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, has made another controversial statement at his GameTrailers webshow Pach-Attack. He says Wii U won't be “as popular as probably Nintendo thinks” and that the firm has “Dreamcast themselves”.

Well, he's famous for this kind of comments, specially against Nintendo. The question is... how many of his predictions were right?

NEWS SOURCE: Pachter Wii-U won't be as popular as probably Nintendo thinks (via) VG247

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for another news story!

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 12, 2012.

1. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Well Nintendo can pop open the champaign they just won the next generation....

If Pachter says something the exact opposite usually happens.

This guys list of failed predictions is long... Honestly has he ever predicted anything correctly?

Thats a real question if anyone knows an accurate prediction this guy made please post it lol

I guess he could be considered 100% accurate if you take everything he says and flip it over.

2. 1,080
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

His statements sound like double talk to me. One take he is saying, 'you guys don't have the killer tech you think you do'. And then he retracts it and says he doesn't want to write them off just yet because he doesn't know pricing/specs. Make up your mind man.

I know I'm very skeptical of the next gen period. There are way too many things we don't know at the moment, especially what MS and Sony are going to bring to market. I know turning the lighting from light to dark is not going to get me to buy your console Nintendo. I won't write you off because I remember the hours I invested in happy NES, SNES, N64 and NGC gaming. I'll give you that much respect. But, I also am not going to buy into the Wii U hype. You already know the first year Wii U lineup. Mario this and "remake of past titles with Wii U controls implemented" that. You can see these titles coming a mile away with Nintendo since they did the same sh1t with the Wii. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...not happening. These companies are going to have to show me a lot now before I drop my money on their hardware. I'm sick of being disappointed and feeling buyers remorse.

3. 13,392
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:

i agree with you on what you say, year one will be nothing but hd ports of current ps3 / 360 games and a few nintendo games, the problem comes with simultaneous multi platform releases, for a while (at least) the wii will be the superior platform so at that point do you buy the best version or some lesser version, at present we just dont know if its going to be worth buying but since there is no gabecube (steambox) coming and (at least to me) sony no longer making anything i would buy it only leaves ms and nintendo so i dont have any problem buying both and being able to play almost every game i'm likely to want to play.

4. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I think the Wii-U is going to offer some fresh IP's, I mean look at the launch of the Wii. Out of the three consoles its honestly the only one that really did offer new IP's and no I am not talking about Zelda or Mario. I speak of all the great puzzle games and a metric ton of other obscure games that most people missed because they where paying attention to Halo 3 and COD MW 1,2,3...

I finally found my copy of Kororinpa on the Wii, so rare... Anyway a must play for puzzle game fans and a fantastic example of the types of games most people miss when they think of the Wii's game library.

5. 47
      sotsog

sotsog Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Who is this guy? Do people actually take him seriously? Everything out of the guys mouth is hilariously retarded.

6. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      and after the last gen console ports what remains?? the usual recycleware mario/zelda games, also (if lets say the wii u actually did offer the wide range of games theyve failed to offer in the past) would i consider buying a wii you to play a last gen game that only looks slightly better?? or would i stick with what i already own??

im sure like the last gen it took a year or two for game devs to actually start using the resources of the 360/ps3 instead of releasing HD versions, but i would favour MS's and/or Sonys next systems because after a year or two we will see game devs take gaming even further.

personally i think the wii will do well in japan (nintendo allways do) and maybe the cheap cost would have the same affect in other regions, but i think the iFAD controller is yet again going to be its downfall.

its pointless, the touch screen hasnt benefited what youd class as "innovative" controls for the DS, 90% of games only use the 2nd screen for maps or inventory, which most games these days have quick select via the dpad on a controller.

also i highyl predict that nintendo will get the same kind of games, even more this time round, games based on its touch screen, and then like the wii ends up with more shovelware games.

the only good thing id say about the wii u is the fact if someone wants to watch a different channel or play a different console that you could switch to the iFAD, but personally i dont think it should be forced as its primary controller, it should be optional.

but hey ho im sure many will think i am wrong (even tho they cant walk into a game store for the past years and see that nintendo clearly lacks the great games MS/Sony get) but were entitled to our opninions, i know im not the only one who avoids nintendo for this reason.

7. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Bugger, I was going to wait a year at least to get a Wii-U, if at all, now I need to get one right away as it's going to be king of the hill next gen.

You know I am trying to be fair, I am trying to think of where Patcher has been spot on, and to honest, I can't think of one time he was partially right let alone spot on (ok he does get the console and software names right)

8. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Pachter knows the industry better than most, and definitely better than you guys.

9. 6,312
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I think the problem for the console is the casual market, since they were they key reason for the Wii's success.

If they can find another game to entice them and price it reasonably, then there's a chance.

The main problem though may be the ipad and Nintendo sticking to a more conservative model in a sector where consumer expectations have changed (e.g. paying more than a few quid for games).

Well he could at the very least not contradict himself.

10. 13,392
      billysastard

Home Page:
      so why is he almost always wrong?

he may know the industry well, but when it comes to his news blogs he knows far better how to get publicity.

11. 13,392
      billysastard

Home Page:
      fucking hell, a reasonably well thought out and argued post, congratulations.

in the spirit of that i'll point out that its well known withing the industry that nintendo are going out of their way to get "non-nintendo" games onto the wii u, although they do seem to really be scraping the barrel of old games (all be it goty ones) with things like batman arkham asylum (i mean seriously who will want to rebuy that since its still on most gamers shelves).

that said, so many people who are actually involved in game development seem to think that the wii u has a good future be it mark rein from epic who says that we'll be "shocked" at how good it is to leaks (from ubisoft btw) recently posted on here.

of course the huge fly in the ointment here is how nintendo are going to handle their online and download content policies, if they force their in house policy of not allowing dlc except as additions to an otherwise complete game (so no map packs, weapons, etc, just add ons like undead nightmare or episodes from vice city) then that will scare away the likes of ea and activision wheras if they allow a dlc free for all it may attract the greedy publishers but might scare off their more loyal fans, after all, why buy aslightly inferior version of a new game compared to the ps4 or xbox fusion version at the same price if you are still going to get reamed with dlc charges, its a fine line which could make or break how successful the wii u will be.

12. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

It's simple. He isn't.

If you had followed him throughout the years, you'd know that he gives the listeners/readers a LOT of opinions, he gives detailed explanations of how people and corporations work, explains what incentives are at work, how market reacts, etc, etc.

People ask him to draw conclusions based on his knowledge (Pach Attack is based on this concept).

Now, these conclusions can't always be right. He isn't all-knowing and he doesn't claim to be (some people make it seem like thats the case).
      These conclusions are mostly a fun guessing game. Most of what he says isn't predictions, which is the answer to your question, after correcting it.

13. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Maybe so, but he has seeminly no idea how to analyse that info and make reasonably accurate predictions, which is his job, he doesn't even try to cold read it and make vague all encompassing claims that could be read in diffrent ways, he just plain gets it wrong, no abiguity, just wrong which is why everyone says to go for the opposite of what he claims as it's more often than not, spot on.

Also a fun guessing game isn't somthing worth mentioning, so essentially what you say is all these fun guessing games are not claims or predictions, so have absolutely no relevance and therefore what he says has no credibility and it doesn't matter how well he knows the industry as his "fun little guessing games" have as much credibility as anyone elses, so therfore invalidating your original claim as a basis for not being critical of him.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
    14. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Ok, lets see here.
      First of all, give me examples. I see lots of people in different forums bashing him, but i rarely see any examples. Pachter himself gives a couple of examples on request though, like Borderlands sales, he got that wrong. Wii HD, he got that wrong by a couple of years.

Give me those examples, and then we'll see if those examples can be considered part of his job.

Words like "claims" probably should be used in this context. Just to take one example, ee didn't CLAIM that Wii HD was gonna be released. And ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE, well, relevance enough for Reggie to comment on it. And eventually being right. No credibility, if he had that, he wouldn't have his job, he wouldn't have Pach Attack, and he wouldn't get invited to the Bonus Round.

Now give me those examples.

15. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Remember when Microsoft doubled the price of Xbox Live? Did you play Grand Theft Auto V when it came out in 2010? Were you pleased that Kinect launched at $50? Are you happy that the console wars have finally ended?

just a few of the completely way off claims, there are many more if you bother to look or have actually read most of his claims that crop up. Why do you think so many instantly consider his "fun little guessing games" are way off the mark each time, it's not from just assuming it with nothing to base it on, it's from his track record on the subject. Don't get me wrong if he was making claims based on a mixed record (and by that I don't man blindingly obvious ones like GTA4 would sell well) or even one where his claims were reasonably acurate then fair enough he would get the benefit of the doubt form me at least, but the fact that the usual response when you read the usual "Patcher says..." is based purely on his track record, nothing else, not some inate dislike for the guy (he may be a great guy for all I know) it's just experience. If one or 2 people were making the claim that he is usuall wrong then fair enough again, but it's not, he is wrong frequently enough that the majority tend to notice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
    16. 372
      p1nky

p1nky Loyal Member

The guy may be wrong with a lot of things but I think and I wish Nintendo will fail big time.

First all of their pretty little casual gamers now have an iPhone or iPad or something similar where they can play teir casual games for a fraction of the price. The motion gaming bubble has burst and a touch screen controller... good luck with that, see the beginning of the sentence, people do have iPhones already.

Second I simply do not believe that you can pull it off twice releasing an ancient piece of trash hardware for a way too high price, then call it cheap and innovative.
      And make no mistake, the Wii U has GFX that are comparable to a 2008 PC at best, so at release it will be 4-5 years outdated already (ok the Wii was probably outdated 7-8 years when it was released, so we are making progress here).

Third the games will 99% be like on the 360 and the PS3, there is no more motion gaming advantage as Sony and MS can do that too by now (although useless imho but whatever), and it's unlikely the Wii U will be less expensive than a 360 or a PS3. And then when Xbox 3 / PS4 come out they are again locked in to last gen technology.

The only thing they are good for is forcing MS and Sony out of their holes to finally end this unholy, uselessly long console cycle, that has ended up with motion crap and consoles that are almost 10 years outdated compared to a PC (or in case of the Wii 15-20 years outdated). And for this I thank them, but really I hope they don't start a new trend again with this console that sets aus back even further. I want good games on good hardware, not casual motion crap on stoneage hardware.

17. 1,400
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      He's an Analyst, Anylsts get paid to make market predictions and trend predictions, so in what he has done so far...he'd be out of a job anywhere else. You think a Stock Market Analyst would be allowed such margins for failure as he's produced? LIKE F**K!

The only thing he's done, is show that you're very much incorrect, and that his position affords him the ability to be paid like a weatherman is....for being wrong more than he is right.

18. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

So not sure how he could be any better then us, I mean I could randomly throw darts at a list of possible outcomes and statistically speaking I would out perform Mr Pachter's predictions. Even the law of averages says he should have randomly guessed something correctly by now.

In the industry he is known for his outlandish claims and thats his bread and butter. If he didn't say stupid stuff all the time no one would pay attention to him. So I suspect its a little bit of a show. Maybe he does know more then he lets on and just plays stupid to get hits on his blog or what ever...

We could go over his claims of the past, but everyone already knows the guy is never ever right... Thats his whole shtick, the ironic part that you some how believe he is correct this one time is laughable are you honestly saying you agree with Pachter?

Not exactly the kind of record I would pin my name too but what ever floats your boat.

19. 784
      Captain N1

Captain N1 Loyal Member

i Lulz. I want you to make a game console with a i9 16 core cpu, 32 gigs of ram a nvidia 885 gpu wiht 8 gigs of ram and sell it for $399.

There is a reason game consoles are not as powerful as the latest PC. a pc may have better hardware but a game developed on a game console can be utilized for the hardware its developed for. and a game developed for a game console always works. no need to purchase new hardware every 2 years.

Lets take a wii game like say xenoblade or other M. Develop it for a pc and see how well it runs with 86megs of ram and 64mb of video ram. yeah those are wii specs. and im not talking about emulation. have the game remade from ground up with 100% x86 code. tell me that the game will run perfect with 2001-3 pc hardware.

take cyrsis 2 on xbox360, how powerful of a cpu do you need in a pc to run the game. here ill tell you... it says a dual core 2.0ghz cpu, 2 gigs (3 for vista) of ram and atleast 8800gt 512mb video ram. run the game with 2005 pc hardware and see how well it runs. see if you can get it to run at hd with aa on on that hardware. a typical 2005 pc had a intel Pentium 4 3.4 HT or a Pentium d with 512- 1 gig of ram maybe a nvidia 7800GT. yeah get cyrsis 2 to run on that with same or better graphics then xbox360.
      and post a video of a comparison

My point is this, console games can achieve similar performance with lower powered hardware do in part to hardware utilization. Its hard to utilize pc hardware as there is many different chip sets and designs. To make a console whit uber hardware would cost to much.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012