PC owners fear Modern Warfare 2 is a console port

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 7, 2009.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus Staff Member MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    It's every hardcore PC gamers worst nightmare, one of their most favorite games on the PC platform was actually ported over from the 'inferiror' set of consoles. Well that is a growing view that some PC gamers have regarding Modern Warfare 2.

<blockquote>
    One last kick to the PC gamers is the lack of a Console Mode (a mode where PC gamers are able to enter commands directly into the game). When asked if Modern Warfare 2 was simply a console port, Infinity Ward said "No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings."

Apparently, they have absolutely no idea what was meant by the question. And the real answer is "Yes, why the hell would we develop 2 games, when we can just make one and get the same amount of money?"

But the suprises aren't limited to PC gamers. Xbox 360 gamers are being locked out of features as well.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.stageselect.com/N4691--1--pc-gamers-fear-modern-warfare-2-is-a-console-port-.aspx" target="_blank">Stageselect</a>

2. 26,565
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Pc games are dead.

3. 685
    Mchief298

Mchief298 Loyal Member

No, not dead... but dying. This is ridiculous... Game Devs are getting too greedy for their own good... Thinking they can take out needed features to a game because they think it's a smart idea? That's all this is is just a console to PC direct Port with mouse and keyboard controls... Come on IW give us a damn game! A Good game....

4. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Yes, let us continue this PC games are dying b/s. I have heard this nonsense over the past twenty years. Every new generation continues this fallacious argument where the old guard left off. RE 5 was developed for the PC and ported over to the consoles. I wouldn't necessarily call it greed either, but these developers seem to have the misconception that piracy has a huge definitive impact on their bottom line, which is why they try and stretch every last dime out of a game.

5. 1,316
    GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

I cannot sit on my laptop and play a game, anything can either slow it down, make it crash, or just have some other 'unexpected' errors show up.

Plus... why the hell would I want to shell out loads more money to upgrade my PC/Laptop to play a game which I paid for anyway, not even fully knowing if the upgraded components will work 100%, when I can just buy it for the PS3 and have it guaranteed to work everytime and no errors what-so-ever!

6. 1,316
    GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Every game capcom makes is developed for the PC, and THEN ported to consoles, and then the corresponding PC versions are released at a later date to the console versions.

7. 393
    jackoneil2000

jackoneil2000 Loyal Member

hahaha

I use to be a PC gamer before I was really turned off and went to XBOX.

I think the PC is inferior for gaming simply because you have to spend $1000 upgrading your PC every time you want to play a new game just becuase your PC doesn't meet minimum requirements

PC gaming is are rip off.

But I have to say that console gaming is also becoming a rip off, with paid add-on updates and new map packs and to play online.

I miss the good old days when map packs (company or user generated) and online gameplay were 100% free. But that still doesn't compare to the costs of upgrading your PC all the time.

I also enjoy the fact that its not the users responsibility to make sure that the game works smooth.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2009
  8. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

pc gaming has always owned mmo/ fps/ rts genre...

yet game devs like IW are getting to freaking greedy... "hey if microsoft can charge for xbox live why cant we?"..."lets raise the price of the game by 10 dollars and no 1 will notice we took away features."

IW is trying to make cod a MMO... plain and simple... next cod will probably be names COD: world at warcraft :mad:

If this version of cod is a hit.. next year they will screw us more until they can charge a monthly fee to play this game... :mad:

PC gamers know IW stole ideas from the x4 mod for pc...and used in MW2. But console owners never got mods so they dont know and think "aww man thats so cool".
    Console gamers do a fast search on google for X$ mod for cod4 and look at some of the features like custom kill streaks, nukes, attack heli etc etc..

WoW is probably not getting to many new oplayers and they need a fresh game to cover them... enter cod MMO.

IW can hire companies to go after pirates... they can spam tv with a commercial for the mf2 special edition xbox 360... but they cant make a new engine or give dedicated servers????
    there is probably 10,000 servers out there for cod4 and probably another 6,000 for WaW yet IW says "pc gamers are a small minority of gamers."

Screw IW and MF2!.....

GO DICE!!!!!!! and BF:BC2 and BF3!!!!!! SAVE US FROM IW AND CRAPIVISION!!

9. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

I'm sure its a great game and can't wait to get my copy but how does IW go from being one of the most popular developers to this over the space of a few weeks?

It sounds like they've turned MW2 into a Games for windows live game, they've removed dedicated servers, player counts are down to 9vs9 and no option to boost it like COD4 64 player matches, no console and so on.
    Most gamers may play vanilla but without mods COD4 would of been overrun with cheaters on PC punkbuster is a rubbish solution and doesn't work so if the community cannot even improve on that IW have no hope for making a fair play environment.
    Section 8 let you download a dedicated server package using your key why can't IW do that? Why can't they even run a proper key server to block pirates?

I wouldn't be so mad but if developers are going to be pushing us to onto consoles using crap ports then they need to force the issue of keyboard/mouse support making sure it supports an open hardware model and keyboard/mouse only games for the whiners out there.

10. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Hey, hey, just because you have a shitty PC doesn't mean that applies to all of us.

11. 105
    arnold101

arnold101 Loyal Member

ma che cazzo dici...

12. 618
    soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

even if you are a pirate pc gaming is expensive because of the costly hardware upgrades.

13. 618
    soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

an adequate pc has a shorter lifespan than a console

14. 237
    d33znutzEP

d33znutzEP Loyal Member

Wow.... most ignorant comment of the month right here...

15. 2,591
    EL_CAD

EL_CAD Loyal Member

Don't know why anyone would think a laptop could run modern games. Though Thorchlight runs good even on a netbook.

Not much can be upgraded on a laptop, except memory, which is not usually the problem with running games.

I played quite a few games on the PS3 that have not run at 100% without errors, like Fallout 3 and Orange Box.

Back on topic. As a PC owner I am not buying MW2. It's overpriced and does not promise much that I can't already do with mods on part 1. Even if MW1 is a port, I can can still run it real HD and with better controls. I never was a big fan of MW anyway and prefer the Battlefield series. The games I plan on getting this fall do not include MW2, but I do plan on getting a few PC games like L4D2, Torchlight, Dragon Age and Tropico 3.

16. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Street Fighter 2 was developed for coin operated arcade systems and then ported to consoles and Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 were first released for the Playstation, RE 4 was first released for the GC. Devil May Cry was developed for the Playstation and Megaman was developed for the NES.

17. 141
    UltraPic

UltraPic Loyal Member

I think you've misunderstood what that dood was saying. CV onwards are pretty much pc games ported to console (you pretty much see that after the capcom logo), thats why they move from platform to platform pretty well.

18. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Wow, this is one moderately good game and look at the trouble its causing. JUST....WOW.

19. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Well I'm not a fan of PC gaming anymore, and I'll be the first one to say that before it was simply too expensive for me, but it's really not that expensive anymore to get yourself a great gaming pc, and sure you'll have to make some upgrades, but you save about $10 for every game vs the console price, so getting a new video card every other year isn't that much of a hassle.... unless you wanna get the most bleeding edge $600+ cards, which 99.5% of the time are unnecesary. Not that I plan to go back to PC gaming, I'm just too lazy to tweak my pc anymore, and I appreciate the pickup and play-ableness of consoles.

Anywho, I'm opposed to the simplification of games series to cater to lesser gamers, if you wanna make a console shooter for the "Wii-generation" gamer then go right ahead... they deserve love too, but leave old series out of it, or at the very least make it a spin-off.

20. 0
    nivalis

nivalis Guest

PC Gaming costs more, but they can also do infinately more than consoles, have an infinate selection of peripherals, no real restriction on things, the BEST modding community, and of course, something console fanboys usually like to overlook.

When a game is released multiplatform, console fanboys love to fight over whos looks the best, pc gamers don't need to, it will always look the best on PC.

So sure, it costs more, but kids throwing around numbers like $1000 dont have a clue, you only need to spend about half that to have a pc easilly capable of outclassing any current gen console on the market.

Why spend so much you ask?, console fans have to wait several years for the next generation console, pc owners are already there.
    They've been running games at '1080p' and higher resolutions on CRT monitors since the days console fans were creaming over the crappy resolutions of the ps1, saturn and n64.