People who bricked their DS Lite...

Discussion in 'NDS FlashCarts, Custom Mods' started by gama, Jun 13, 2006.

1. 371
    gama

gama Loyal Member

I want to know how? What happened? How is it possible? Isn't the SL1 easy to spot? Did you touch the component beside it? Was it unplugged when you flash it?

2. 0
    Sokaris

Sokaris Guest

I was stupid enough to brick one, i got the shakes and lost contact with the SL1 at 1% (didn't touch the problem spot), no matter how much i tried it wouldn't resume i then accepted my brick.

Got another today i made a little tool out of a credit card screwdriver with foil for the contact + blutack for insulation on all but the tip. i faced the ds lite towards a mirror, carefully hit the point and watched it hit 100% in 2 seconds.. perfect :D

Careful IS the name of the game on this one, as for the other unit lets wait to see if a recovery method appears.
    Read before doing it and your fine.

Following up my ds power light still turns on and the passkey2 blinks.. whats the chances i can restore this? anyone have a full method for m3 restore as i can't seem to do anything?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  3. 203
    akuma99

akuma99 Loyal Member

You could have recovered from he "brick" thing. All you have to do is reboot the DS Lite with no game in the DS slot. Then use the A+B+START+SELECT this will allow you to boot off the flash cart. Then you can try it again. When I first tried to flash mine it turned off at 3% (I think I touched something wrong). Anyway I tried it again and all went perfect.

4. 1,508
    lenselijer

lenselijer Loyal Member

If you have a bricked ds lite, then please pm me, i want to buy it.

5. 359
    BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Loyal Member

akumu99 is right.
    Pull out the passkey and restore will work.

6. 470
    Rinny

Rinny Loyal Member

call me stupid but I flashed my DS 5 times and couldnt get it to mess up. One time of the three I lost connection for a second and I just kept tapping the connection-- AND IT WOULDNT WORK!!!! OH NO!!!

but when you lose connection you need to keep it connected for 1-1.5 seconds and before it will start again.

The ONLY way that a DS may be ruined is if the system TURNS ITSELF OFF while flashing (or if you give up and turn it off). Even then there is a great chance that it can be recovered through the recovery process described online.

7. 0
    hubbahubba

hubbahubba Guest

Had a really bad experience today...Bricked my DS lite!!!

I don't know what went wrong. Whats weird is after pressing X B X B, when the process shows as O%, i used a paper-clip to short out SL1. It still stayed on 0% which i couldn't figure out why! I was touching the SL1 with the paperclip but still no progress. Am i supposed to PRESS the SL1 or just touch it?

Anyways, all of a sudden it went to 1% and then just started blinking and then shut itself off!!! After that, i tried the restore process, but it didn't help. When i tried to reboot, all i saw was the light turn yellow indicating that it was switching on, but the screens just stayed black!!!

Be carefull when doing the procedure guys. Safest thing to do would probably get the passcard3...

8. 0
    Sokaris

Sokaris Guest

I've tried this with it, A + B + Start + Select.
    I used the e3 game manager. told it to write flashme_stealth in normal mode.
    The screens are just blank but the power light is on.
    Am i flashing the rom wrong?
    should it be able to do this on non-bricked flashme nds's so i can see if it works?

9. 0
    hubbahubba

hubbahubba Guest

This time around, i got it right! I used aluminium foil as suggested by one of the forum members and it went from 1 to a 100% in less than 10 seconds! I had the jitters when it was progressing but fortunate for me my autonomic activity didn't overact!!!

Flashme is simply superb! It completely obviates the need for my bulky passkey2!!! :) Kudo's to the guys who wrote this piece of code, simply amazing! Am i glad that i jumped from the PSP (POS) to the DSL!!!

Use aluminium foil guys....thats the best way to short the SL1!

Cheers!

10. 0
    hubbahubba

hubbahubba Guest

Oh and to short SL1, you HAVE to touch both portions, that is on either side of the groove on SL1. So, if you are going to take a screwdriver and poke only one half of it, its NOT going to work which is why aluminium foil is the best solution!

Cheers!

11. 1,132
    crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
    Don't know whats everyone is crying about,its just as easy as the normal ds.
    Just don't screw yourself ;-) becuase if you toutch, it your screwed.
    If your afarid of toutching it,plase somethin between it,some paper or plastix,sou you can't toucht the screw right from it.

12. 470
    Rinny

Rinny Loyal Member

Best solution is a mini flathead screwdriver that is wrapped up in electricians tape from 1" up it to the tip. Just leave the actual flat edge exposed.

13. 0
    enduros

enduros Guest

it happened

hi Guys,

my DS lite has been flashed by a friend (who knows his stuff), but it seems he hadn't the right firmware, which ended up in me having the brightness problem (on/off instead of the 4 settings).

So I tried it myself y'day with that 525KB flashme.nds. And I have to say, I'm an artistic person, not technical. In fact, not very talented in that aspect.

Of course, I bricked it.

It just powered down, as I shortened the circuit. And it's clearly my fault because I hadn't it conntected to the power, so I guess that was it (I just read that, shame on me).

Anyway, I keep reading of that A+B+Start+Select reset trick. My screens are black, unfortunately. What can I do? Please help!

many thx,

enduros quad

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006
  14. 12
    Gihiro

Gihiro Loyal Member

I bricked my Lite 10 mins ago.. My friend pushed A+B+START+SELECT and held it down while he turned the power on and kept on pushing them down for like 10 secs. Then you countinue flashing. :)

Buuuutttt.. I got the birghtness prob. =/

Anyone know HOW to make it work?

Nevermind, flashed it agian with the file on 556kb. Now the brightness works :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2006
  15. 1,132
    crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
    Just flashed my sister’s ds lite, you must be really stooped to brick a ds lite.
    It’s very hard to get contact whit the flashing point and the screw right of it, I did tried but I could not reach it!!!!!!! How the hell do you get it bricked!!! :-s

16. 0
    enduros

enduros Guest

still doesn't work. very frustrating. I guess I'll return it and try to get a new one . ...

17. 359
    BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Loyal Member

:eek: you're actually trying to brick it?

18. 1,132
    crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
    Whit power off ofcourse, its very difficult to brick it when flashing, you must really do your best to brick it.

19. 273
    galaxykidgamma

galaxykidgamma Loyal Member

student
    Home Page:
    a funny flashing story

well, i tried to flash my ndsl today with a g6l and bricked it (turns out the power outlet i was using was tempermental and faulty)

okay so, i'm a little worried but i hear i could boot directly to the card

ITS NOT WORKING

the mirror i was using was a broken mirror because it's the only one i could find so in my panic i sliced my thumb on it

i continued trying to boot from the card in the process getting blood all over my ds and everything else, this was very frightening

in the end i ended having to re-flash from my m3 but now i have a bloodstained ds :cool: very cool :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2006
  20. 371
    gama

gama Loyal Member

Perhaps your blood re-shorted the SL1 point. :p
    Glad that it turned out well for you.