hit tracker

Piracy and Homebrew now possible on v1.76 PlayStation 4 Consoles

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Sep 30, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Sep 30, 2017 at 9:33 PM
  1. 24,270
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    No more just Linux running on v1.76 PS4's, it is now possible to play decrypted pirated game dumps, and homebrew!
    [​IMG]

It has taken a long time to occur, since the original exploits showing Linux running on the v1.76 PlayStation 4 consoles, but over the last week the scene has been on fire, after a series of rapid-fire tweets, updates, and teaser videos, it is now openly possible to play 'backups' on your v1.76 PS4 and also to play 'homebrew', and there is now homebrew SDK library in works, and soon alot more will occur on v1.76, so stay tuned to MaxConsole as the PS4 scene is finally on 'fire' and there is ton of updates coming out soon, so for now here is quick run-down on the recent big updates for v1.76 over the last week:

Quoted News Source #1: PSXHAX Sept. 30, Thursday
    Quoted News Source #2: PSXHAX Sept. 29, Friday
    Quoted News Source #3: PSXHAX Sept. 30, Saturday
    Here is a nice 'video tutorial' on how it all works, and above there is links to almost everything you need to get your v1.76 modded!

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Sep 30, 2017.

1. 61
      rory2005

rory2005 Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

already a ps4 1.76 on ebay asking £599, the greed has already kicked in

2. 938
      DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

3 years too late (since 1.76 came out), and now over half the library of games on the PS4 require a higher firmware than that. Great job... I'm just hoping this will lead to some save game exploits or something.

I still think that the lack of piracy on the Vita is what killed it. On the PSP (exploitable from day 1), developers took a look at those 50 mil units sold and chose to start developing for it. On the Vita, they took at look at the shoddy sales figures (outside Japan) and said "pass". Think of it this way, I purchased a PSP Slim the day 3.60 M33 came out, and bought ~30 legit games along the years. Same with the PS3 Super Slim and Cobra ODE 4.20, but along with 5 legit games. If it wasn’t for piracy on those consoles, I would have never bought those legit games.

3. 260
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

LOL here we go with the "piracy" is what makes a console.

The lack of games is what killed the vita, lack of support, not because it didnt have piracy.

I think people who pirate like to tell themselves these little lies to convince themselves that what theyre doing is perfectly fine.

4. 6,549
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I suspect other factors also played a part, for example, the price of the console and storage.

Earlier homebrew/piracy could have helped for a while in terms of hardware sales, which in turn could have caused some increased attraction, although whether that would help long term is another question depending on the legit: piracy ratio.

In this case though, at least you cant blame the downfall on piracy, unlike people have with the Dreamcast and Amiga (despite other factors).

5. 938
      DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

There's this vicious circle on consoles: the more console units there are, the more developers are interested in making games for them, and the more games there are, the more people are interested in buying the consoles, and so on.

It's why Nintendo invests heavily into a good games line-up at the beginning of each console they release, to get people interested in buying the consoles, and once enough people bought them, more developers are interested (because nobody wants to release a game on a platform that barely has any users).

...and piracy can help with that.

I have collected around 30 "legit" PSP games since I bought a PSP Slim the day 3.60 M33 came out - games that I would've never bought otherwise. Think of it this way, the PSP was hackable since day one and piracy was rampant on the damn thing, but developers took a look at those 50 mil units sold and said "yes, there's a large potential market, we'll release a game on it", while on the Vita it was just the opposite. I think the lack of piracy is what killed the Vita. If more people bought the Vita (outside of Japan), developers would've released more games on it. I'm sure of it.

rednekcowboy likes this.
    6. 24,270
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      There is push in the inner circle jerk of elites to partly release teasers for 'backup loader' that works on v4.x firmwares, hopefully someone will be smart enough to take these teaser hints and bits of codes and port over the v1.76 to the newer firmwares.

This will allow similar 'homebrew' and 'piracy' on firmwares from 4.0 up to 4.5 and partially on 4.7, but will NOT on the current v5.x series.

7. 1,301
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Loyal Member

Piracy is part of the ecosystem. All parts must be equal however. If piracy is not involved, then the console is not as successful or completely flops.

Piracy is not the evil that corporations make it out to be and in fact there are independent studies out there that proves piracy doesn't harm at all but in fact, aids in the success of products.

What has been happening the last 10 years or so is that all facets of the entertainment industry are using piracy as a scapegoat to hide their fiscal mismanagement and sub-par products. They have gone to great efforts to have the general public believe that piracy is evil and have been very successful in doing so but the truth is that these companies waste billions of dollars unnecessarily, released unfinished products and continually gouge the general public, just to name a few. It is those reasons for the many downfalls, not piracy. Anyone that thinks otherwise is simply buying into the corporate hype.