PS Magazine 'build a PS4' with the rumoured specs

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 18, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  1. 21,843
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    An AMD A8 3850 processor and AMD Radeon HD 7670 graphics card

[​IMG]

The Official PlayStation Magazine UK build a PC with the exact same rumoured PS4 or 'Orbis' specs. See how well it does against a 'High end' PC

Perhaps, you remember the rumored PS4 or Orbis details. All indicates Sony wants to power their next gen console with PC parts.

The rumored specs include an AMD A8 3850 processor and AMD Radeon HD 7670 graphics card. Well, the Official PlayStation Magazine UK built a PC with some of these parts, and compared it with a 'high end' PC, which included a Core i7 2700K CPU.

[​IMG]

Well, it didn't do too well on benchmarks:

They also tried a couple of games, like Just Cause 2, Bulletstorm and a beefed-up, super-HD texture version of Skyrim:

Even if didn't do too well using the PC versions of these games, seems that PC components in the current crop of Windows-compatible games wont give you much of an idea how a PS4 utilising those components would actually perform:

Also, the final hardware could change:

You can check the full article below, which is pretty interesting and includes a few video comparisons. Well, at least it gives us an idea on what we should expect next-gen!

NEWS SOURCE: http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...e-build-a-ps4-what-can-the-rumoured-specs-do/

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this neat news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 18, 2012.

1. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      rahter pointless bs story.

THESE SPECS ARE RUMOR'S, SONY HAVENT EVEN CONFIRMED ANYTHING REGARDING THE ORBIS/PS4

2. 437
      Cloudkill

Cloudkill New Member Loyal Member

ITC techy

OH God forbid anyone write a bias news article abut the precious! Jesus I would have forgiven you for the anti Nintendoisum and general miss guided fanboyisum if you had wrote something along the lines of "There are too many variables in this experiment for it to be valid or have any stance in real world figures"

But if this was a Nintendo article you would have wrote some other bull, so forgiven you are not, and feed the troll I shall no longer!

3. 1,394
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Starts to Post Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Unfortunately he's actually right here though, just based on the fact that even if these WERE the actual specs, consoles don't have a bloated ass Windows operating system behind them chewing up GB of RAM and clock cycles.
      The comparison is totally invalid, if they compensated for the resource usage of Windows by adding RAM and a slightly faster processor, then maybe it would be remotely valid. It has nothing to do with "X configuration" according to the article, they completely miss the HAL and resource aspect of things...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    4. 13,362
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      if you read the original article they do pretty much say that themselves, the main interest comes from the fact that its the official sony mouthpiece magazine that did this.

5. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      (1)actually just goes to show the fans of nintendo dont read properly, you fail to notice i even state that nintendo fail to even give any information on the wii u specs, yet fanboys claim its going to be something superior??? hows this conclusion work out. also funny how still an article i submitted claiming game devs stating the wii you to be nothing much better than this current gen systems still didnt get posted (yet if its about anything negative or BS towards MS/SONY its posted asap).

possibly the reason why nintendo have yet still to comment on the systems spec ohh thats about to launch end of this year isnt it?? is because everyone will see that its just a revamp last gen system (we cant say it is nor can we say it isnt) but look at it, its the wii all over again its focusing only on its iFAD controller, which is exactly the same thing nintendo did with the wii.

also is it true that nintendo are even avoiding a exhibition, possibly to avoid gamers asking whats the wii u's specs, the fanboys claim it to be for the game devs?? sure good idea the console itself avoids showing presence ohh and hmm i do recall nintendo using xbox footage passing off as wii u footage.

then to mention the 99% prediction that this will be the same as any other nintendo system aka the games it gets.

so hmm yea when nintendo are avoiding questions on a very near to be released console, avoiding exhibitions, cheating using another systems footage, yea id be annoyed.

(2)as for a dumbass publishing houses editor (yes its the official PS3 magazine but its developed by a publisher not sony) <- @billy that came up with this pointless test run, proves nothing especially when sony have yet to even confirm that this spec news is correct.

just to save confusion the difference in (1) and (2) is sony havent even confirmed this nor have they got a release date set or even issued one unlike nintendo.

6. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

I hope thre are only a rumors because specs are sh*t.

7. 437
      Cloudkill

Cloudkill New Member Loyal Member

ITC techy
      (1) Can I just say no matter what console you are bias towards I would still come down on you with justice, you don't get sarcasm, if you actually had not posted on this topic I would have wrote/posted "This experiment is bias, there are too many variables for this test to be accurate" obviously me being ironic or sarcastic does not get through to you thus proving my fact that you get offended only when Nintendo bests sony or when sony get's owned.

(2) I'm not a fanboy of any console, so **** you, you wet behind the ears little spit ****!

(3) Nintendo have been going for what 180 years? I think they know/earn a little bit more than you, so quit telling us what you think they should be doing because they know what there doing hence why you don't find them posting on this forum.

(4) Your iFad joke is NOT funny! NEVER WAS!!!

(5) You obviously don't get that brand competition drives down price and increases quality for the consumer, so being bias to any hardware is stupid and immature much like you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUBQnkb7JjTfpaIARq53ZLGQ&feature=player_detailpage&v=cnePM5C0BbM

8. 818
      WoIverine

WoIverine Active Member Loyal Member

Rebranded Radeon 6670, what?! This is so much fail. My pc's GTX 580 chews these up and spits em out all day long. When the 360 came out, I remember the gpu was more powerful than the latest pc offerings by Nvidia and AMD at the time. I guess this next gen, we're kind of getting the shaft in the gfx department. Those specs are pretty underwhelming.

9. 701
      trancehead

trancehead New Member Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      i think a lot of people dont realise how long nintendo have been going, i wouldnt mind a deck of their playing cards LOL, they'de be worth a mint by now.
      i think 180 years is bit of an over exaggeration though, i think they were founded 1890 or 1880, something like that.
      having all consoles, i do lean more towards sony consoles, because i like the controllers, they havent changed since psx and i am very comfortable with them.
      that said, sony are getting quite shady of late, and their business practices are really getting questionable, so if they do release a PS4 with specs this low, i'll buy it for the collection, but will not buy any games for it, it can gather dust.

10. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

I watched the entire video, he makes a lot of great points. I give it two thumbs up.