hit tracker

PS-One 12F629 Modchip Coding

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 2 and PS-One Discussion' started by GaryOPA, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 24,381
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    I used to be into the PS-One big time when it was out, and had many chats with the original "mod-chip" designers, and one of the first to release PIC HEX that anyone could flash (basically cracking at that time the very costly and protected commerical modchips) was a person by the name of "Old Crow" and when he retired he released alot of his source code, and back in Feb. 2008, I decided to re-write his original code to support the newer PIC chips.

Attached is my port of the code, along with my old collection of wiring digrams. If anyone needs any help with these, just ask away!

Attached Files:

2. 25
    caveman

caveman Loyal Member

ok, i have like 6 old ps1s laying around, if i where to use a chip, what chip should i get, and how much would it cost? also how do i flash the chip? i wire it to the comp? or? haha im a noob when it comes to hard mod. ive only hard moded my wii. so please any help would be cool. this sounds like a fun project =)
    thanks

EDIT: its a 1001 btw

3. 103
    szlifier

szlifier Loyal Member

4. 25
    caveman

caveman Loyal Member

hmm, i cant really justify having to buy a programer for one chip haha. and im not very good wit hthe diagrams. haha.
    do they sell chips pre coded? or should i just stick to the old swap trick ive been doing for years? i was thinking you could program them like you jtag a xbox 360. i could do something like that easily.

5. 1
    fdm

fdm Loyal Member

You can get preprogrammed chips here:
    http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=52

You might get an Old Crow if you have a PAL console, since games for it do not come with anti-modchip protection. Otherwise MM3 is really the way to go since it is a stealth modchip, even if it does require a few extra wires. For my console, it was 7 wires with one of them on a surface mount resistor and another on a capacitor. Not the easiest solder job, but well worth it in the end. Was tired of ruining my drive with disk swapping.

6. 248
    PLAYER 1

PLAYER 1 Loyal Member

GARY, do you have the colour fixes por ps mo-bos ???

I`ve lost the diagrams.
    I just remember model 7500(mine).

7. 24,381
    GaryOPA

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    I will take a look for them this weekend, alot of my old stuff is on TAPE BACKUP of all things, and it getting to the point where it can't be read anymore! -- Yikes!

8. 10
    NoWayOut

NoWayOut Loyal Member

Hi Gary, I could benefit from your expertise here. I imported a Japanese SPCH-1000 (SN under 6 million) and wanted to put in an old school chip, but I can't find any installation diagrams that match the motherboard. The points seem to be in more or less the same place except for point 6 which has no points in the area above the chip. I can upload pics if need be. Do you have any advice?
    Many thanks

9. 24,381
    GaryOPA

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Upload the pics, I will compare it to ones I have. I recently recovered some of my old data and move it to nice external 1tb usb drive.

10. 10
    NoWayOut

NoWayOut Loyal Member

Thanks, images attached.

11. 1
    Sunnytom

Sunnytom Loyal Member

Hi GaryOpa,
    can you upload please a wiring diagram for the PsOne model.
    Seems that it is not included in your package.
    I talked with another member of a german forum and he got trouble,to get it working on his machine.

Greetings,Tom!

Sry,but I can't edit my post.
    We are now a bit further with our investigation.
    Could you pls confirm,that this mod will work for PAL games on a PsOne PM 41(2) board with PAL Bios:If you install only the 3 wires 1,6 and 8,without the NTSC hardware mod and change the code from NTSC to PAL in your hex file?
    If yes, can you pls show me the code adress of your hex,to change it to PAL!

12. 1
    ChemicalBro

ChemicalBro Loyal Member

Posted on psx-scene a few years ago, just checking here now if there is stealth support for 12F629's. That would be super duper.

Hoping to bump this thread and get a few answers. I've tried both Gary OPA's old crow port, as well as the open multimode 3 code. Both will boot backups, except for the libcrypt protected ones. I know the old crow port isn't expected to play libcrypt, but I was under the impression MM3 would. Should it?

Also, does anyone know what route to take to get this supported?

Yes, PS1 is old news, but I'm a retro guy and would like to put this issue to bed.

13. 2
    Lord_Tusang

Lord_Tusang Loyal Member

Just tested the Open Multimode 3 code on 12F629 and it works great (on a 5501 PS1), and works with anti-mod games. I wouldn't try this older version which isn't stealth personally.

From my research, it's not the modchip that matters when playing Libcrypt-protected games, it's how they're ripped; they have to either be ripped a certain way, or patched with a PPF patch. There's plenty of patches online.

14. 24,381
    GaryOPA

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Yeah you need to use I find an older PC running CDRWIN Golden with a CD-ROM drive not a DVD drive to rip a original disc complete with Libcrypt info, plus compatible older CDR burner, alot of newer DVD burners don't burn cd's fully correct.

15. 1
    Eugen59

Eugen59 Loyal Member

Hello Friend! Dear friend! Tell me how the chip is soldered to the PS One (PM-41-2) PAL?
    Suitable whether your firmware and chip 12F629 to my PS One?
    Do you have a diagram to install the chip in the console 12A629 PS One (SCPH-102) PM-41 (2)?