PS3 enters End-of-Life as Sony prepares to Stop Production in Japan

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 18, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Mar 18, 2017 at 12:09 AM
  1. 23,657
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Rest-In-Peace, the last days of the PlayStation 3 console are numbered, soon we will be burying it into the history books

It’s been an impressive run, but it looks like the PlayStation 3‘s days are numbered. Sony has silently updated the PS3 listing on its Japanese site to say that production on the console will be ending soon.
    [​IMG]
    If you are still enjoying your PlayStation 3 and gaming on it, well soon you will be called a 'Retro Lover', as the PS3 is moving into the next chapter, as Sony is ending its production, and soon there will be no more brand-new PS3's to buy, only well-used ones, or costly prized unopened boxes from eBay sellers hoarding the last of the PlayStation 3 consoles, for those looking to purchase one.
    So what do you think about the sad news, does it mean that soon Sony will be also killing off the PSN access on their consoles as well?

NEWS SOURCE: PS3 enters End-of-Life as Sony prepares to Stop Production in Japan (via) SlashGear

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 18, 2017.

1. 261
      happydance

happydance Loyal Member

yeah, I'm actually worried about those digital downloads, though I only have a handful digital download but it show I not worth it when they decide to kill the console

2. 6,501
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I doubt they will anytime soon considering that they need PSN running for PS Now and the store is a source of revenue.

3. 23,657
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Haha. didn't you read the news PS Now stops working on PS3 on April 1st! :)

4. 6,501
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I meant for the PS3 games which run on PSNow.

5. 23,657
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      I meant online multiplayer games working on PS3, and PSN itself in buying games to use on your actual PS3 console itself.

PSNow is already being stopped on PS3, and soon I bet Netflix and other services will stop, and PSN itself will end just like it did on PSP handheld.

PSN of course will stay around, but you will be accessing it from another device like your PC or PS4 and playing if you do grab PS3 game via PSNow on those devices, but not on your PS3, it will am sure be stuck into offline mode soon, just like the days of Xbox Live are numbered on Xbox 360.

It will not occur in year 2017, but i can see announcement appearing in 2018 with cut off date as early as holiday 2018 or spring 2019.

6. 6,501
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Down the line sure, just that I expect it to run for at least a while at least on the PS3 for my previous reasons.

edit:

I think the biggest issue would be whether people are still purchasing games from it or how much they want to push something e.g. PS Now over purchasing.

7. 23,657
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Well if they wanted to do that they would have kept PSNow working PS3, but that is not happening, like i said earlier its been killed off, I thought it was April but nope is Aug, and then the only thing will be left working on PS3 will be PSN to purchase games, and I think that will be in OFF position after 2019 for sure, i bet you $5 on it!

See Here: --> http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/playstation-now-to-cease-working-on-ps3-and-vita-in-august.43960/