PS4 Sales Surpass 7 Million Globally

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 17, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Apr 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM
  1. 21,891
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    PlayStation 4 still in 1st place in the next-gen console war!

The battle rages on, sales of the newest Sony Playstation console is still racking up, non-stop with over 7 million sold by end of Sony's fiscal year at end of March so what does that mean to Microsot

[​IMG]

So far it seems more hearts have been taken over by new shiny black box known as PS4, instead of the massive XB1 all-in-one box.

Here is full PR by Sony released recently:

So what does that mean to the lovers of Xbox One which is now in third-place behind even the slow-selling Nintendo Wii U :)

Our thanks to 'Sony' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 93
      eatdogs

eatdogs New Member Loyal Member

Yeah, I still don't own a PS4. I'm not bragging or anything, but there is really no reason for me to buy it, or a Xbone either. I find nothing about these two systems satisfying for me. They don't even feel like the next leap in gaming evolution. They just feel... dated. Like, if people say the Wii U is just a slightly better version of the Wii, well then the PS4 and the Xbone are just slightly better versions of their last gen. Heck, I hate saying last gen because it's not dead yet. I'm still buying games for my PS3. They even just announced a retail disc version of Minecraft for the PS3.

kneehighspy, Ichijoe and Artlover like this.
    2. 6,303
      tech3475

tech3475 Likes to Post Loyal Member

I just hope E3 includes an announcement of OS 2.0 with exciting new features like being able to organise things, mp3 support and additionally games worth playing.

3. 166
      Penner

Penner New Member Loyal Member

As long as there are no interesting exclusive games for the "new" consoles, why should anyone buy them? Although i expect 1080p60 from current gen systems and games, i won't buy a console just to upgrade from 720p to 1080p on my tv. Even more so if not all games are 1080p60 anyways.

And with a pc hooked up to the tv, there's no point in paying 10 bucks more for the console version of a game. With a bluetooth receiver, you can even use a ps3/ps4 controller wirelessly.

It's been 4 months already, and there's not a single one interesting exclusive game for me on ps4. So the 7 million sales are pretty impressive in my mind, even if it's probably just the number of shipped units to stores. I wonder what will happen, when finally some good exclusives arrive.

4. 1,792
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe New Member Loyal Member

Yeah that's just it... They shipped (i.e. sold), 7 Million units to Retail. Not to actual End-users. So the real installed base is probably smaller by a several magnitudes. I may eventually pick One up once Project Cars, and Drive Club hit. Assuming I can still use my Logitech G27 with those Games of course.

As it is now, with GT5 set to go south an about Six Weeks (i.e. Sony will be yanking rug out from under it). I'm gonna re-hack my PS3. Probably permanently this time with my E3 rig, fixed to dual boot back into OFW for when I need to get something off the Store. Like DLC for some Game I own. But without GT5 to keep me honest... I don't see any further reason to be honest...

5. 2,653
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Maxconsole Forum Moderator Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      Home Page:
      it seems the ps4 is leading the xbone even with neither system having a 'killer' app. i chose ps4 first this new gen over the 360 that i went with first last gen. i do see some excellent games in the near future but i dont blame folks for not having a reason to pick up either new console yet. the only reason i jumped in was i wanted something new to enjoy.

so far, i have purchased more new titles for my ps4 this new gen (8) in the last five months over the amount for the 360 last gen (4) in the same amount of time passing. unless things turn around for the xbone, including a decent price drop, i dont see one for me this year.

6. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover <b>Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      Smart move.

There really is very little differences between 720 & 1080. Especially given all games are near normal mapped with near photo realistic textures depicting real world environments; which very specifically tend not to show off resolution (or compression artifacts for that matter). If it were talking about early CG that was more cartoonish and line based, or dedicated test images like a grid, yeah, you could see it. (It's sorta like the nutty audiophiles who buy the ultra expensive oxygen free time base corrected speaker cable because it "sounds better" according to an oscilloscope and specific test frequencies despite none of them being able to tell the difference in a blind test using real music.)

I think most don't. Though the PS4 has more than the XB1. Couldn't find any recent number on this, but does anyone know if the WiiU still has more than either of them?

Ichijoe likes this.
    7. 26,558
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Xbox one is a faliure, but this forecast was very simple to make. From the start, Xbox one, with a lot o sh*t of restrinctions (after removed) and hardware a little bit scarce in comparison with ps4 maked the rest.

8. 4,099
      gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
      Well, with PC gaming that is a different story as you're usually sitting close to the VDU (visual display unit) - so close that you can see the jagged edges more easily than if your gaming setup is a 10-foot, lounge-friendly one but that said, I can't tolerate lower resolutions even in a lounge setting as it is an eyesore for me to even deal with them - it is almost as bad as staring at a static "snow-effect" screen for more than ten minutes to me. That is why I usually tend to try and max out the resolution settings for a game or acquire the highest resolution version of a movie or TV series whenever possible.

9. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      You're talking to someone who used to rig up wire and aluminum foil across the rabbit ears and bow tie to try and pick up the local low power UHF station from a city over 60+ miles away on a 13" set, satisfied when audio and video out weighed the snow and static enough that you could make out more than just shadows and hear almost entire sentences. So forgive me if I don't feel your pain. 720 is more than good enough as far as I'm concerned. :p

kneehighspy and Ichijoe like this.
    10. 13,367
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      you just described how i used to watch nwa/wcw wrestling many many years ago, it was broadcast in another tv region (granada not yorkshire) around 50 miles away with the pennines in between at stupid o'clock in the morning but in the days before satelllite or cable it was the only way to watch it.

11. 1,792
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe New Member Loyal Member

hear hear!!

12. 2,653
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Maxconsole Forum Moderator Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      Home Page:
      i come from those same days, nashville was almost 70miles from here and those aluminum ears did help the snow disappear a little more than the audio and video. i do miss those days a little cause those were easier times and they seemed a little more happier and funner.

13. 21,891
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      I remember those days also, but I had double-trouble I was using a TUBE TV and it was OLD, as such I needed to keep a small box fan at the back of it, blowing on the tubes to keep it running, after a while I used to have to have the fan on high, the fan was making so much noise and wind, I could no longer hear the weak TV signals.

[​IMG]

Ahhh.. those were the days.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    14. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      LOL.

Were they even using real plastic in 1953 yet, or was everything still Bakelite?