hit tracker

R4i 3DS B9S MaxConsole Review

Discussion in 'MaxConsole Reviews' started by realtimesave, Oct 11, 2017.

By realtimesave on Oct 11, 2017 at 10:55 PM
  1. 247
    realtimesave

realtimesave Loyal Member

Another Great Exclusive Scene Hardware Review by Our Very Own 'ReadTimeSave' Member!
    [​IMG]

Six years ago, Nintendo released the Nintendo 3DS: their current handheld console with updated copy protection measures built in. We have seen numerous flash cards come out ever since the Gateway 3DS hack which involves a glitch, launching its firmware from System Settings -> Other Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile. To counter the 3DS and DS flash cards, Nintendo has regularly released updates to thwart piracy.

The current trend is to install CFW without the need for a flash cart to be inserted and the R4i-B9S flash cart does that and more. You can use it to unbrick 3DS consoles as well as convert the cart to DS mode. In doing so, you can launch DS titles from its MicroSD card slot. This flash cart is advertised to work on all models and all versions of 3DS and 2DS systems.

Let’s take a look at the R4i-B9S package.

IMG_2596.png IMG_2597.png

The box itself is pretty good quality and feels very sturdy when opening. Inside you will find the R4i-B9S flash cart as well as a conveniently supplied rare earth magnet and a MicroSD to USB adapter. On the reverse of the R4i-B9S you will find a laser printed peel back sticker which reveals the authenticity code underneath to show whether or not it is a counterfeit card. This feature is further detailed on the R4i web page: http://r4i-sdhc.com/Truthe.asp.

IMG_2598.png IMG_2599.png IMG_2600.png

Installation of the B9S hack is a breeze with this flash cart. It comes with the B9S firmware preinstalled and there is no need to insert a MicroSD card in its MicroSD slot. The MicroSD slot is only used for DS games if you so desire to “revert” (basically flash) a copy of the DS mode firmware to it. This firmware is also provided on the R4i web page: https://uploadfiles.io/2wl7t as of this writing.

I did manage to find a couple of minor problems when installing B9S to my Old 3DS systems. Since I am using Gateway 3DS on those systems, I have 3DS Ver. 4.5.0-10U on both my 3DS “launch edition” and 3DS XL consoles. I was only able to get to step number 17 of their guide using this old system firmware and Rosalina refused to launch the DSP dumping tool and the Homebrew Launcher. I believe that if I update the firmware on these systems to a newer one, that issue will be alleviated.

IMG_2675.png

I also found that if you are running the incorrect system firmware revision, newer games will refuse to load. So make sure that you are running the appropriate version of the system firmware for the games you are playing.

IMG_2676.png IMG_2688.png IMG_2712.png IMG_2716.png IMG_2723.png IMG_2725.png IMG_2737.png IMG_2742.png

The B9S was successfully installed onto my New 3DS XL which has Ver. 9.0.0-20U firmware. The instructions for installing B9S are on the R4i web page: http://r4i-sdhc.com/B9SSector.asp. Notice that no MicroSD is inserted into the R4i-B9S for this entire procedure. Basically you need to insert the R4i-B9S into the 3DS system, un-compress the “InstallFirm.zip” file archive to a MicroSD (or SD card for the Old 3DS systems or MicroSD to SD adapter for Old 3DS), place the rare earth magnet below the B button (this step is not necessary for Old 2DS systems), hold a few buttons, and run its contents. Then you remove the magnet and delete all the files from the MicroSD card and copy the contents from the “NTRPack_1.2 SD.zip” file archive to it and run its contents. Finally, you dump the DSP file to the original 3DS’ MicroSD card and then run Homebrew channel. These steps are all taken care of in a simple to follow PDF document on the R4i web page which is located at: https://uploadfiles.io/h2i90 as of this writing.

After all of these steps are completed, you can feel free to install more hacks to the 3DS via CIA files as well as homebrew and retail games. Godemode9 can convert *.3DS files to *.CIA for installation on the system’s MicroSD (or Old 3DS SD) card via FBI. One interesting hack that is floating around the internet is the capability of B9S CFW systems to whitelist blacklisted older DS flash carts. Care needs to be taken when attempting this modification and there are tutorials out there which detail this.

IMG_2749.png IMG_2750.png

In closing, I would like to say that I accidentally did brick my launch Old 3DS one time somehow when I first followed the guide but since this flash cart is capable of resurrecting all bricked systems, excluding heavily physically damaged ones of course, I was able to resurrect the Old 3DS within seconds and continued installation there. Unfortunately since my Old 3DS systems are on 4.5.0-10U, the installation did not complete and I ran a script to remove B9S from both of them.

I would have to give this flash card an A+ in review because it does all it is supposed to. I have a hard time giving it a lower score due to not working on older system firmware because that firmware can always be updated to a version which is fully compatible with the B9S method.

Thanks to Team R4i for providing me with the review sample. This flash card kit normally retails for around $20 USD and definitely is a bang for your buck. As advertised: all NDS / 3DS games are free with this kit.

For More Info & To Order One Today, Check This Site Out: --> http://www.gateway-3ds.net/new-flas...shed-ntrboot-supporting-b9s-luma-3ds-cfw.html

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'MaxConsole Reviews' started by realtimesave, Oct 11, 2017.

1. 786
      sudeki300

sudeki300 Loyal Member

it has been noted that their revert flasher is bricking cards and has now been pulled from their website, might be an idea to check that out and remove from the review if it has been added

2. 24,270
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Links have been updated by the reviewer that points now to proper links for an recently released updated flasher that no longer bricks cards.

3. 3
      LundiReve

LundiReve Loyal Member

Is R4I B9S Flasher V1.0 you meaning for solving the brick issue? Please confirm, so I can buy an R4I B9S card without worry from here.