REVIEW - H96 Max Rockchip 4K Ultra HD TV Box

Discussion in 'MaxConsole Reviews' started by JHardin1112, Jul 26, 2017.

By JHardin1112 on Jul 26, 2017 at 12:52 PM
  1. 116
    JHardin1112

JHardin1112 Maxconsole Game Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

JHardin1112 our very own MaxConsole Reviewer is back with another one of his great hardware reviews!
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the fine folks over at Gearbest.com, we here at MaxConsole.com got our hands on the latest H96 HD TV Box - the H96 Max Rockchip. After using the box for the past month, here are my thoughts.

Review Item #1: --> H96 Maxx Rockchip 4K ULTRA HD TV BOX
    Review Item #2: --> TZ P9 Wireless 2.4GHz RGB Backlight Mini Keyboard

Just to be clear here, I don’t own a 4K tv, so I was unable to test out the 4K quality offered by the H96 Max, but I was able to check out everything else, and I liked it.

[​IMG]

So first things first, the specs. The H96 Max has the following specs:
    • Android 6.0 O/S (Marshmallow)
    • RK3399 Processor
    • ARM Cortex-A72, Cortex A53 CPU
    • 2.0 GHz core
    • Mali-T860 GPU
    • 4G RAM
    • 32G ROM
    • Surround Sound
    • Supports the following media formats:
      • Decoder Format: H.263,H.264,H.265,HD MPEG4
      • Video format: 4K x 2K,AVI,DAT,ISO,MKV,MOV,MP4,MPEG,RM,RMVB,TS,WMV
      • Audio format: DTS,TrueHD
      • Photo Format: BMP,JPEG,JPG,PNG,TIFF
      • Support 5.1 Surround Sound Output: Yes
    Alright, so now that I got the specs out the way, let’s talk about the UI and the performance.

The UI is clean and has a nice layout, nothing fancy mind you, but it works. The main screen that you see when powered up has a few dedicated slots. Netflix, YouTube, and the Play Store are all prominently displayed on the main area of the screen, followed by the date/time, My Files, Music, Apps, Browser, Video, Games, and Settings. Cycling through the on-screen icons is done easily with the included remote and then you can continue scrolling down to open up the rest of the apps. I like the look and feel of the UI overall and I am very glad that the H96 is running on Android 6.0.

The responses times between button presses on the remote and the on screen reactions is nearly seamless, however, I did have some moments where the UI seemed to hang when I switching between apps. I didn’t have any issues otherwise and overall I am happy with the UI experience.

Physically, the box is so small and hardly takes up any space by your tv. Mine actually fit just under my tv since my set is on a small tv stand. It’s a sleek looking box with a modern look and is quite unobtrusive.

I’ve included a video (a bit long - sorry!) below that just allows you to see the UI and some of the apps and overall performance of the box for yourself. The H96 Max also supports an SD card so you can load up content from a card as well. And of course, the H96 Max also comes preinstalled with Kodi so you can make of that what you will. I’ll just say the sky’s the limit here when it comes to what content you can get on your box.

Now, the one thing I was disappointed in wasn’t the box, but in the wireless keyboard I requested be sent over for me to use. I thought it would make the experience better to use a mini keyboard rather than the on-screen keyboard, but that was not always the case. My two biggest gripes with the mini-keyboard are that the keys don’t always register when you push them, so your input is not registered. This issue forces you to press the keys with a bit of force before registering the input and I’m concerned that over time this extra force will break the connection with these keys in particular. Also, the keyboard doesn’t seem to work well unless you have a direct line of site and are less than 5 feet away. Perhaps it was just me and my setup, but I had to get way too close to the box to use the keyboard effectively.

My rating for the mini keyboard is a 5/10 - it’s useful, but not always convenient. Next time around I will spend a little money to get a high quality wireless keyboard.

My rating for the H96 Max is a 9/10!

It’s a great streaming TV Box with some impressive internal specs, room for expansion, small footprint, simple and easy to use UI and dependable remote. Plus, the price is not bad :). If you’re looking for a streaming TV box solution for you home, I recommend the H96 Max from Gearbest!

Check out my video below - I hope you like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'MaxConsole Reviews' started by JHardin1112, Jul 26, 2017.