REVIEW - Sniper Elite 4 (XBox One)

Discussion in 'MaxConsole Reviews' started by JHardin1112, May 15, 2017.

By JHardin1112 on May 15, 2017 at 3:05 PM
  1. 28
    JHardin1112

JHardin1112 Maxconsole Game Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

Our very own @JHardin1112 is back with another Exclusive MaxConsole Game Review for you all to enjoy reading!

Ah!!! Another year, another entry in Rebellion’s excellent Sniper Elite series!
    [​IMG]

If you’re looking for a top-notch sniping experience that lets you strategically obliterate Nazi’s in the most graphic and horrific way possible (testicle shot anyone?!), then look no further. Sniper Elite 4 gives you that and more in spades.

Final_1.jpg

Set in 1943, amidst the conflict of WWII, in the beautiful, but warn torn country of Italy, players assume the role of the elite OSS sniper, Karl Fairburne, as he is sent across the country in order track down and ultimately put an end to the Nazi’s use of their secret weapon against the Allies - a radio controlled missile. A quick history lesson for all those (like me) who don’t know what OSS stands for, it stands for the Office of Strategic Services. It was the predecessor to the present day CIA. It took me all of a minute to research that, and now I know. And so do you. Ahem. Lesson over. Now back to the review.

Final_6.jpg

The game begins with the aforementioned radio controlled missile being used against an Allied ship and filmed in order for the Nazi’s to use for propaganda. Karl is sent in to the island to assassinate some targets, (come on, what else is a sniper to do?) and find out more about the missile and what the Nazi’s plan to do with it. Over the 15-20 hour campaign, you’ll find out how they intend to use the missile and uncovers some plot twists along the way. The story is actually quite interesting and a bit fun at that. But I’ll admit, I didn’t come here for the story though. I came here to snipe Nazi’s and that’s really what I want to focus on.

Final_10.jpg

Each of the game’s 10 levels take place in open world maps that are quite massive in size, especially compared to previous titles in the series. This time around, Rebellion decided to increase the map size in order to allow players to really pull off those highly sought after “long shots”. You’ll start of each level at your base camp with some NPC’s who will give you your main mission, along with optional side missions. Once you set out on your own, it’s really up to you how you proceed. You are given complete freedom as to how you achieve your goals. Ready to hunker down and take a couple of hours on one map - go for it. Perhaps you’d rather clear out the map as quickly as possible. Then you’d best be prepared for some heavy firefights. Or, in my case, perhaps you want to stay in the middle. You can take a little time to scope out your targets, get to some good vantage points, and then take out one by one, or in some cases 3 at time.

In one of the earlier levels, I was on my way towards a secondary objective when I came across an outpost stationed with several soldiers. I was able to take out a couple at first, but one of my shots missed and I alerted the other soldiers. I came under fire while fleeing, but was able to take cover around the corner in some bushes. There were 4 soldiers and they opted to toss a grenade at my last visible point. Since I was a safe enough distance away, I wasn’t harmed. Not so for the poor soldier who was sent to check if I was dead, not so. As he rounded the corner I took him out with a single shot. Of course the noise alerted the other 3 who quickly ran towards their downed comrade. As they came into view I shot towards the stomach of one soldier and just so happened to hit his grenade pack. The subsequent explosion was intense and it ended up killing all 3. Damn, was that moment gratifying! I took the time to describe this experience because I want you to know that this is what you can expect to enjoy when playing the game.

Final_13.jpg

For every shot you make, every objective you complete - you will earn XP to level up. As you level up, you can purchase new weapons, increase your stats and so on. These options will benefit you in the long run and I encourage you to pursue those secondary objectives.

So TLDR - gameplay is incredibly enjoyable. You get to kill Nazi’s. This game is fun!

The visuals are really quite impressive. Players will find themselves traversing valleys and mountain sides, towns, bay fronts, buildings (both inside and out), scaling rooftops and crawling in gutters. The level of detail when you zoom in through your binoculars or rifle scope is great. The kill cam (which is optional, but turned on by default) is gory, detailed, and fantastic, especially when you get the X-ray effect going on! However, I found myself feeling a bit impatient with the kill cam animations and skipped them or turned them off completely. Graphics look great on the XBox One. I only noticed a few minor things, but nothing to really notate.

Final_9.jpg

In the audio/sound department, it’s rather hit or miss. Sometimes sound seemed to cut out altogether, or just fade out so much that it was too quiet. For the most part though, the sound effects worked out quite well. I enjoyed the voice acting, even though it was cheesy, it was still good.

Final_3.jpg

Sniper Elite 4 is the fourth game in the series and the second one which I have played, the first being Sniper Elite 3 on the Wii U. Both games have been bloody, good fun, challenging and rewarding. If you enjoy military games focused on sniping and an excellent, gory kill camera that really immerses you in the experience - give Sniper Elite 4 a shot. This is one game I know I’ll keep coming back to.

Final_2.jpg Final_5.jpg

Final_7.jpg Final_8.jpg

Final_11.jpg Final_12.jpg
    (Above is some extra screenshots to enjoy, click any of thumbs above or in review, to see all the details up-close of the action)

Comments

Discussion in 'MaxConsole Reviews' started by JHardin1112, May 15, 2017.