'RPCS3': PS3 emulator now boots commercial games

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Mar 7, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Mar 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM
  1. 22,189
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    But, also still in early stage.

RPCS3 is a promising PlayStation 3 emulator, and is able to boot a few commercial games (like Disgaea 3).

[​IMG]

Following the news of the 'Project Xenia' Xbox 360 emulator, we now have info about the progress of another last-gen emu, this time a PlayStation 3 one called 'RPCS3'.

Seems that the developers have been worked on it since 2011, but have recently shown that the emu is now able to boot a couple commercial games, like Disgaea 3 and Arkedo Series 02: Swap!.

Of course that this emu is still in early stages, and the games run slow/buggy, but it's a pretty awesome progress.

Here are some screens and videos:

Disgaea 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arkedo Series - 02 Swap! - VIDEO 1 (First commercial game to boot).

Arkedo Series - 02 Swap! - VIDEO 2 (BELOW!)

Info from the second video:

NEWS SOURCE #1: RPCS3 (via) GITHub
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Forum Thread #780488 (via) NeoGAF

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Mar 7, 2014.

1. 1,257
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Loyal Member

Once a working emulator for last gen is complete and working, I'll finally move onto next gen. This is great news!

gDrive likes this.
    2. 2,653
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      Home Page:
      pretty impressive, didnt think it would be this soon for a ps3 eumlator, excellent work and progress.

gDrive likes this.
    3. 1,786
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Admittedly I'm a bit surprised by this event too. I didn't think that either System would, or could be Emulated even at these early stages outside of either a MicroSoft, or S0NY Facility.... If ever... But, by the time these probably become "workable" we'll be onto the PS6 and XBThree (or would it really be called the 720(p)?))...

gDrive likes this.
    4. 5,612
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Impressive.. First Xbox 360, and now this.

Its a good start for both.

Still, there is still no proper Xbox 1 emulator after all this time. I think they gave up Xbox.

gDrive likes this.
    5. 4,099
      gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
      Well, that is just a big fat turd alright - nobody is willing (enough) to make the Xbox emulation scene move forward, especially when apparently, the hardware/software aspects of it are a poain in the ass to get right due to a lack of openly-available technical documentation in order to help them get things right.

See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48088464&postcount=26

6. 5,612
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Yes, Xbox 1 was a fat turd.. And i didn't want it. Rebel Strike on GameCube was impossible on Xbone with the inferior Xbox hardware.

10 years ago, i actually said that Xbox 1 was a degraded PC.. But it obviously isn't. ;) The reason why GameCube is emulated properly, is because of all the great exclusives which Xbox lacked.

7. 68
      galneon

galneon Loyal Member

Xbox hardware had a little more horsepower than NGC. There are examples of PS2/XBox games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance which run fine on those consoles yet are awful on NGC. It goes both ways and is often just an optimization failure on the part of the developer.

You were right about Xbox being a cheap PC when it came out. Architecture was conventional but a combination of an annoying DirectX-like closed API and no motivation whatsoever due to a lack of notable exclusives doomed that scene before it ever really got started. PS3 has weird hardware but much like the Saturn there's motivation to be brave and work toward proper emulation thanks to a lot of good exclusives. I feel almost as ambivalent toward 360 emulation as Xbox emulation.

8. 5,612
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I can see why they skipped Xbox, but with if they wanted..they could emulate it.
      I have bought 100's of games on Xbox 360 and PS3 which makes their emulators useless for me.

Xbox still did have a inferior GPU which made it unable to get GFX like Rebel Strike.
      Remember that GameCube also had shitloads of games running at 60 fps which is not common on even 360.

Fun fact:

GameCube was considered a failure, and Xbox a huge success. LOL

Gamecube: 22 millions
      Xbox: 23 millions

Yes, sure.. Its a huge difference in sales. ;)

9. 26,565
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

It is a good point to start...but to emualte Ps3 I think need a super Pc...6 core or above, 2gb Video card and over 8gb Ram...wait to see something else.

10. 1,257
      rednekcowboy

Is there a windows compiled exe of this version anywhere yet or do you have to compile it in linux.

My super-duper laptop would be up to the challenge I'm sure. i7 quad, with a 780gtx and 32GB ram should be heavy enough specs!

11. 1,404
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      The Gamecube was FAR superior in terms of "Horsepower" to the Xbox...the Xbox hard drive gave it an edge for caching and storage(Which helped in terms of what could be done in a game), but in terms of raw power, the Gamecube stomped a mudhole in the Xbox.

CPU: 32bit Coppermine 733mhz vs a 64bit 458mhz Custom RiSC PPC...you can look at mhz all you want, but the PPC runs circles around the x86 CPU. Faster FSB, FPU and larger more capable instruction set, with more instructions being capable of executed at once...and more.

RAM: 64MB 200mhz DDR, shared with the GPU vs the Cube GPU having 3MB of dedicated 1T-SRAM all to itself(1T-SRAM, especially at the time, was RETARDED fast), 24MB 1T-SRAM dedicated to the CPU, and 16MB DRAM for audio/optical drive buffer/stream. Overall less, but FAR FAR faster and specifically purposed.

I'd put the GPU's pretty much at par, but with the 1T-SRAM certainly giving the Cube an Edge. In terms of "GFLOPS", Flipper outpaces the NV25 based GPU in the Xbox by about double.

All sorts of Apples to Oranges comparisons to be made, but to be simple...you pull the hard drive out of the Xbox, and it's like David vs Goliath.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
    12. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Looks promising, that said I expect my PS3 will be sat next to my Xbox and PS2 for years to come as even if they get the emulation near perfect, I bet the games I want to play will include the ones that don't work properly (maybe in 20 or so years Primal will run at 60 FPS at 1080p on the PS2 emulator :( )

Was Black ever released on the NGC as that was a graphical improvement over Rebel Strike on the Xbox (was a 2fer, probably the last "war" fps I enjoyed and one of the last console games that actually impressed me visually as it looked about as good as a PC fps at the time) mind you so was Ninja Gaiden, even the PS3 version didn't look much better much to my disappointment. I think it was liker a good many things, you can't really pick one game and say here's the proof such and such is better, it has to be consistently better especially on multiplatform games, and as much as I have enjoyed my NGC (even though I go it after the Wii came out, though it only cost me about 100 pound for it and all the games I was interested in, Rebel Strike being among them) and lets be honest, it was far from that.

All that aside, they look damn good on Dolphin at 1080p, 8x AA, 16x AF, all they lack in my view is the sharper textures of more modern games.

13. 2,021
      DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist <b>Forum's Guitarist</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Mew-Me Loyal Member

Student Gamer that works in a bank :P
      Wow... This is awesome :D It's slow... But IT F***ng works :p. Keep up the awesomely great work!

14. 1,257
      rednekcowboy

Where did you download it? I must be missing something as I couldn't find the windows version anywhere...

15. 772
      TomatOsaUce

TomatOsaUce Ex-Convict Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Will this work on my C64?

pete_uk likes this.
    16. 2,021
      DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist <b>Forum's Guitarist</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Mew-Me Loyal Member

Student Gamer that works in a bank :P
      Ok I meant the video... It works "on the video". It's slow "on the video"...

You can download a .exe here:

http://code.google.com/p/rpcs3/downloads/detail?name=rpcs3 0.0.0.2.7z&can=2&q=

but it doesn't boot anything :p or at least I haven't been able to do so :D

EDIT: OK I got a test PS3 game to run on the emulator :D (the one with the emulator :D):

View attachment 35328

rednekcowboy likes this.
    17. 1,257
      rednekcowboy

18. 43
      Darkone

Darkone Loyal Member

Teacher
      It is definately a step in the right direction, when PS3 consoles become a rarity, atleast we can run all our old games on our pcs :). I believe it will be more likely to have a full speed Ps4 emulator before the PS3 because the architecture in the PS3 is so damn alien.
      We can dream cant we?