Rumor: Apple planning to release its own console system

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Apr 16, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Apr 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  1. 22,189
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Tim Cook visited Valve's installations for inspiration

[​IMG]

Several reports claim that Apple is preparing not only an Smart TV but a game console integrated on it

Exciting news we have here. It appears that Tim Cook, Apple's actual CEO after the passing of Steve Jobs, was spotted in at least two occasions visiting Valve's headquarters searching for inspiration for a future project.

The rumors, are talking about Apple considering entering the home console market launching one of its own with touch and movement controls like Microsoft's Kinect.

Furthermore, it could be integrated in the "upcoming" Smart TV they are supposedly going to release in the near future.

According to CultofMac that got the exclusive:

We hope that if this is true, the new device doesn't get the same fate as the infamous 1995' Apple (Bandai) Pippin console.

NEWS SOURCE: http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-apple-ceo-tim-cook-met-with-valve-exclusive/

Our thanks to 'Kaos2K' for this news story!

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Apr 16, 2012.

1. 1,404
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Hope for their sake, they can realize that tactile feedback controls are NECESSARY, and that touchscreen\motion controls are additional\secondary.

I bet this whole talk of Valve releasing a system too, will be a joint project between the two with Steam and\or the App Store. My bet is on a digital download only system too if that's the case, and if so I smell failure.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
    2. 22,189
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      I agree for sure a 'Joint Project' it will be, and 'Digital Download' or 'Steaming system' like OnLive -- As so it will be marketted to countries with high-end broadband access, but the iSheep will make sure it is NOT a failure!

3. 372
      p1nky

p1nky Loyal Member

If they really integrate a console into a TV then for sure it's gonna be a huge fail, that's a no go. They don't really think I'll put another TV right beside my 55" TV? Or that I'll replace my 55" LED TV with whatever the iGods think is the "correct size", prolly 40" or something...

4. 888
      wewii

wewii Loyal Member

Oh no. Now we are going to have a bunch of iSheep claiming they are hardcore gamers just because they owned an iPad and played Angry Birds before the release of the iConsole.

Can't wait for the fanboy flame wars to begin. I'm a little worried about this. I anticipated a higher level of ignorance which comes with being a Apple fanboy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
    5. 13,412
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      has anyone told apple that most of us dont replace our tv's every 9 months? or indeed that modern tv's have hdmi port, sd card slots and usb ports or that tv's need a controller?

as to the gabecube, i can see retail boxes for games that require steam to operate with some kind of itunes integrated for music and video.

6. 1,629
      GaussTek

GaussTek Loyal Member

LOL, true...

The rumors are pretty strong now, so I guess this is going to happen sooner or later.

But, assuming you will be able to play Steam games, on what OS this thing will run? Windows? lol ... or I guess the game offer will be limited, just like Steam on Mac Os?

7. 5,612
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Apple is very good at naming their products, and the name is probably named by a 5 year old kid too. "iConsole"???

There is too many consoles on the market already, so why release another one? Its becoming like the early 90's where we had like 15 consoles at the same time. CDTV, CD32, Jaguar, 3DO, Neo Geo, CD-I, SNES, Megadrive +++

When thats said, besides iSheep, who wants this limited crap console with Steam, when you have a much better Steam on a PC???..not only that, but there is limited # of games on Steam for MAC. PC wins in every aspect here.

8. 26,565
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Market is satured, another console can be only a faliure.

9. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

10. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Well at least Sony will be able to claim pricing the PS4 the sme as the launch PS3 will be cheap using an apple console by comparisson, as given apples track record it would be at least 2x the price of the competition tho not have the power to backup the extra price. It would have a nice case tho and with it's yearly updates will be up to date with the other consoles in 3-5 revisions, you never know it may impliment features like dual analogue stick after a few revisons and convince the iSheep that it's a brilliant new feature :p

11. 13,412
      billysastard

Home Page:
      i think i may wait until they innovate the new multiplayer feature because that sounds really good, imagine being able to connect 2 controllers so you and a friend could both play at the same time ;)

12. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

So the generation after next then? :)

I hear they will connected using the tech all the kids are talking about, cables. None of this wifi stuff, these "cabled" controllers will allow for all apple customers to be able to have a line across the floor showing them where their nice looking console is at all times :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
    13. 13,412
      billysastard

Home Page:
      yes, but how long dare you wait before it requires an ipanel to play it on or they decide that wireless controls are the way to go and require 4 ipads