Rumor: Wii U has $180 worth of Parts... meaning it will retail at $300 or more?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 10, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM
  1. 21,879
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    The 'Raw' Bill of Materials. It won't be sold under $300?!

[​IMG]

According to 'Forget The Box', the estimated cost of the upcoming Wii U console comes in at around $180. Adding Marketing and other costs, they say it will retail at $300 or more.

According to website Forget The Box some sources close to 'manufacturing and distribution for Nintendo consoles', have told them that the full bill of materials for the Wii U comes to about $180 USD, with around $50 of that going to the controller. Adding labor, marketing and other costs, this means the machine is retailing at no less than $300.

They also detail a few of the Wii U components, like the NFC and Cameras used on the controller:

Additionally, they say Nintendo is trying to keep hardware costs down to maximize profits.

Of course, even if the 'Raw' Bill of Materials cost is real, that doesn't mean the price tag mentioned is the one that is going to be used. We will have to wait for this E3 to find it out.

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://www.forgetthebox.net/mag/culture/forum-m/rumor-wii-u-price.php
    NEWS SOURCE #2: http://kotaku.com/5900153/rumor-the-wii-u-has-180-worth-of-parts-wont-be-sold-under-300

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news story!

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Apr 10, 2012.

1. 3,748
      MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject New Member Loyal Member

At least for the first few months, before having the price cut by 40%.

2. 888
      wewii

wewii New Member Loyal Member

Well that's just pricing skimming at the very begining of the product life cycle.

Hold off for a couple months like with the 3DS.

3. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez New Member Loyal Member

If the console B.O.M. is really $180 then I'd say u pwards of $360 this being nintendo that we are talking about.

4. 13,366
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      $300 sounds about right to make barely any profit on the machine once you include all the other stuff like production, shipping, warehousing, advertising, packing, software and retail chain profits.

5. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez New Member Loyal Member

I don't think ninty go for "barely" when it comes to making an initial profit off of their hardware. As much as I don't trust ms, and I loathe sony... I do appreciate them selling their consoles at a loss (it's all the other sh*t I don't appreciate, more so sony's outright violation of my rights). As a consumer, it just looks to me like both ms and sony have more confidence in their machines, than nintendo with their "let's get a quick buck out of the early adapters" mentality.

I'd probably do the same thing as ninty, though probably a bit toned down. I think the way ms release consoles (let's assume that they work) is the best way, because while sony does take a big loss, they're initial pricing is just ludicrous. I guess the vita wasn't as bad as I was assuming, but then again I just considered the absolute worst case scenario ($400+). They are showing their true colors with the memory sticks though. I think I saw a 16gb for $50... I bought a 16gb m2 stick for a sony ericsson phone I had like 4 years ago and it can't have cost me $40 (I wouldn't have bought it) and it wasn't some special either.

6. 1,395
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Starts to Post Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I'd bet at least 30% of the cost, is in that damn controller...

7. 13,366
      billysastard

Home Page:
      less than 25% of the parts cost

8. 0
      LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA Guest

I hope it's worth more than that.
      Especially considering the fancy controller.

9. 13,366
      billysastard

Home Page:
      no, the fancy controller is like all controllers a pretty cheap thing to make and bloody expensive at retail. a rule of thumb is that the cost is generally around 33.3% of the retail price of any controller for any system.

10. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      really?? that store is raping you then, my local store vita memory cards have droped quite a bit since launch, i got a 32GB for £49.99

11. 701
      trancehead

trancehead New Member Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      sounds about right
      $50 is around 30 Pound give or take.
      and you cant even compare like that.
      you need to work out average hourly wage in the country. the more hours you have to work to afford something, the more expensive it is.
      you're an idiot

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    12. 6,199
      Retroboy

Home Page:
      how can i not compare?? that he moaned his 16GB was expensive then i stated that i got a 32GB for a couple of quid extra, assuming his store would charge sh1t loads.

love the idiot phrase yet you make such pointless BS about having to work more hours to be able to affored things.... this is life matey if you want the good things in life you have to work for it, but just because you work more hours it doesnt make the cost of things go up lol

13. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 New Member Loyal Member

I'm probably getting all three new consoles, but if I can choose only one, I'll go with the most powerful one.
      Which obviously won't be this one.

14. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

This came in my email this morning from one of the larger online retailers.
      Vita cards are still expensive.

"Patriot LX Series Class 10 16GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model PSF16GMCSDHC10 (16GB)
      $13.99
      Free Shipping!"

On the actual topic at hand, I have to wonder what one person would know the cost of the unit and the controller. This information would have to come from some one pretty high up in Nintendo to have access to it. It's not like the controller is manufactured at the same facility as the system itself. Maybe the same company runs both? If thats the case then it would have to be some one higher up in Foxcon?

15. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

Odds are then you would also be getting the most expensive one too, in todays economy that could be a bad decision as most people will be getting what they can afford.

16. 6,199
      Retroboy

Home Page:
      it depends, sure the wii was the cheapest out of the 3 systems this gen, and was the reason it did sell so many units but because it was cheap its specs suffered and so did its games, after a few years of the wii been released it looked terrible.

sure MS/SONYS next system wont be as cheap as nintendo's but people dont realise is that MS/SONY arent just beefin up the 360/PS3 a little and re-releasing a cheap to produce console, MS/SONY actually release a new system really takes gaming to a whole new level, not realy on a gimmick controller aka the wiimote and now the iFAD controller.

its already showing the wii-u is going to get games ported that we have already played that the wii didnt get thanks to nintendo's cheapness, so while nintendo gamers are finaly getting to enjoy these great games (if they get ported) that nintendo failed to get, MS/SONY gamers will be enjoying totally new games that devs will take to new limits thanks to offering more resources and yet again give or take a year or two (just like the wii) nintendo will be left behind as usual when it comes to its games and poor nintendo fans will likely have to put up with a watered down version or wait for nintendos next revamp lastgen console.

dont get me wrong, id love to buy the wii-u but it must have great games, im sick of buying nintendo systems to find its more for children the 3DS is a total let down and like every other nintendo console (other than n64) so this time i will wait a year or two to see if what i think is wrong i do hope nintendo will not only offer last gen ports and children games and actually start offering more for everyone because MS/SONY get it spot on, they offer games and cover for all ages yet nintendo never (rarly) do.

ohh and its funny i submitted a news article and love the way it didnt get put on, i guess the mods or admins that love nintendo dont like to post news thats against what they want for nintendo, yet love to when its ms/sony.

17. 13,366
      billysastard

Home Page:
      yes, your news post was discussed and as far as i know its in the queue to be posted however i cant read the actual content and often that is the final deciding factor, a straight cut and past wont get posted (as another member must have discovered by now) although to be fair it was originally queued on the 2nd april by someone else at that time it was decided not to proceed with that particular news item however when you posted it again on the 4th, as far as i know it is still in the queue
      although to be fair the queue is still massive, i'm sure it will make it eventually, although of course you should be aware that around the web this story was widely laughed at on multiple websites.

18. 6,199
      Retroboy

Home Page:
      yup laughed at by the fans that dont like to hear anything negative about nintendo, id assume youd be number one to laugh at this, yet is first to jump on the band wagon if it was Microsof or Sony.

ohh lets not forget how nintendo still yet has to give the console specs, which dont you find rather strange how theyre keeping it hush hush and its due to release end of this year.... ever wondered the reason they still have to comment/confirm the actuall specs is because people will find that it is in fact just a revamp this gen system and could put gamers off other than the nintedno fanboys because no matter what they still will love nintendo as if theyre the best thing since sliced bread and even fail to accept that nintedno is no longer able to be the #1 house hold console or even keep up like they used to when it was back in the sega days.

no nintendo will not give gamers any spec information because theyll find out that theyre going to be buying yet again another last gen system which you can pick a 360/PS3 up for less.

nintendo allways go on about experience playing games, yet the wiimote failed to offer anything that they first claimed the wiimote experience to be, you could tie the wiimote to your dog and the wii would be none the wiser.

what nintendo do not grasp is that they focus too much on a fad controller and forget about the actuall games, nintendo simply re release recylced mario/zelda games over and over again, while MS/SONY are the consoles that get far better games.

19. 13,366
      billysastard

Home Page:
      well i guess it depends on who you choose to believe, an anonymous source who says you should use a ps3 / vita combination or people like that well known nintendo fanboy mark reign who said “It will do things current HD consoles simply cant do its going to be a powerful box.”

and i'm sorry but no matter how many times you say the same rubbish about nintendo only releasing the same game over and over its not going to become true.