RUMOR: Xbox may be purchased by Amazon, according to insider

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 15, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Feb 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM
  1. 21,891
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    But, take it with a grain of salt.

So, that 'Microsoft dumping the Xbox Division' rumor could be legit, as according to an insider, Amazon is in talks to buy it. Microsoft, of course, denies it.

[​IMG]

Just a few days after the report by The Washington Post stating that Microsoft investors wanted the company's new CEO to "kill" the Xbox division, well known industry insider Pete Dodd now says that they are in talks with Amazon to transfer the property of Xbox to the giant online retail corporation (but, it could take years).

Of course that this s just a RUMOR, so take it with a huge grain of salt. Here are his tweets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He further added the following over at NeoGaf:

Microsoft, of course, denies it. Chief of Staff for Devices and Studios Group Aaron Greenberg commented this:

So, there you have it. Again, as Dodd said, do with this rumor what you may...

NEWS SOURCE #1: Microsoft's Xbox Division may be purchased by Amazon according to insider (via) DualShockers
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Microsoft dumping Xbox division rumor TRUE Amazon talk buy it says insider (via) GamePur

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 15, 2014.

1. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover <b>Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      When I said I was in agreement that MS should sell off the Xbox, I meant to an electronic company with a vision, not a mediocre internet store. :(

Ichijoe likes this.
    2. 116
      DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Bah. I'd much rather see X-Box die the death it deserves for its negative impact on gaming/gaming culture.

Or at least Nintendo to buy it. That would be great purely for the lol's of crying fanboys.

That would be golden!

3. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Likes to Post Loyal Member

The most that will happen is it will get split off so it's still an MS company but not a part of MS directly and so no affected by or linked to MS profits so as to give the false impression that where the rest of the company may be making a profit, any loses from the Xbox company will not be represented. Mind you they will probably list any Xbox profits if and when they appear to bolster the MS share prices.

It's a standard practice con, and something that has been asked for by share holders for Sony as well so that they can keep the profitable parts of the company safe from the loss making parts or at least keep them from leaching profits and share prices.

Ichijoe likes this.
    4. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      Sony would have to spin off a lot more than just the video game division if that's the goal! ;)

Ichijoe likes this.
    5. 21,891
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Maybe Microsoft should dump the Windows division not the Xbox One:

[​IMG]

Someone quick invent a Door for Microsoft and they need an fire exit... :)

Battlefield and rednekcowboy like this.
    6. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

I imagine that chart is including phones and trying to compare them to PC sales... lol

PC sales are down of course but that's a combo from the economy being in the dumps and slow advancement. To be perfectly honest a Pentium D 3Ghz with 2GB's of RAM is more machine than 90% of the planet will ever use and that by today's standards in PC tech is ancient.

People tend to replace phones these days on a yearly basis so it will skew the results of such a chart.

7. 105
      Crimson Blade

Crimson Blade New Member Loyal Member

Me too, though I'd prefer "Xbox LLC." 50% MS / 50% [Insert Gaming PC maker] (maybe Dell/Alienware, or it'd be hilarious if Nintendo were to make a bid.)

8. 6,303
      tech3475

tech3475 Likes to Post Loyal Member

I would be surprised if Amazon bought it considering their Arm based Fire products, if anything I'd expect a joint venture or them being a major shareholder in an Xbox company in exchange for some IP to make games on the Kindles.

9. 5,609
      Battlefield

Battlefield Posting Addict Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Basically, Nintendo will also get Rare back then...Expect them to make Kinect Sports 3. ;)

The best choice would be Nintendo...but i wonder if its worth it?

As a Bonus.. Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Dead Rising etc. on Wii U. ;)
      IF MS sells Xbox...I think Sony will sell Playstation too later as its bad business for both.
      Nintendo with the smallest market share bathes in money. ;)

Amazon...World biggest book store? running console business? No thanks!
      Amazon buying Xbone would be the final nail in Xbox coffin. Maybe they would buy it to get less competition on their new cell phone console. ;)

After all, Amazon did buy a golden egg recently which is awesome at making mediocre games.

10. 141
      Nintendo

Nintendo New Member Loyal Member

There are so many reasons why this is the worst rumor ever made and probably another amazon propaganda. What make us believe that MS would ever sell a big division like the Xbox just like that? and to complete the combo after the launch of a console??? seriously.... it only requires some common sense to realize that is nothing but bullcrap or a comment from someone that has nothing better to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
    11. 1,258
      Artlover

Hospital maintenance
      Home Page:
      You mean besides the fact that it's not very profitable, that shareholders have been calling for MS to drop being in the console business since the Xbox360 and a new CEO who's history is not with being in 'devices and services'?

12. 888
      wewii

wewii New Member Loyal Member

Wow. There's a lot of irrational hate going around for Xbox.

720p this. PS4 that.

I love my Xbox One even though its not perfect yet. Can't wait for Gears of War 4, enjoying the Titan Fall beta. COD is super fun, best COD since MW2. The games looks sweet, even on 720p. Forza on 1080p looks amazing, but I probably couldn't tell the difference if it ran 720p.

A true gamer cares more about gaming and the games, than the hardware they are running on. Always boasting and complaining about having/not having the best hardware is just a sign of snobbism. Nobody needs to be playing at 4K.

Last time I checked, GTA V still hasn't come out on PC.

Let's be honest, most gamers could do another 5 years on PS3/360 and be happy with the games that are continuing to come out, if the next gen consoles didn't come out yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
      Berserk920 likes this.
    13. 1,080
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Well-Known Member Loyal Member

This. I get more use from my XBox One than my PS4 and Wii U combined. It's been the best purchase I made out of all 3 of the current gen consoles.

Berserk920 likes this.
    14. 26,558
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

I read a lot of rumors on this company. Want to make a videogame console, now want buy xbox, drones ect ect...

15. 1,792
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe New Member Loyal Member

To be fair though Microsoft forked-up Vista, (Not nearly as much as with Windows (H)8), and, kept Windows XP for far to late. Windows 7 never really got a proper push... (Off the Cliff.) And, well its best if we didn't talk about Windows (H)8 at all.

But, it shouldn't take a Michael Pachter to figure this out! What takes the p!ss here is how MicroSoft want to skew these Numbers, and make them work in a Mobile setting... Which to no ones surprise is also failing...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
      JonathanD likes this.