Seagate Starts Selling 1TB SSHD for PlayStation

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Sep 8, 2015.

By GaryOPA on Sep 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM
  1. 23,334
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    PlayStation too enjoys the extra Game Drive storage space

Both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One come with limited storage hard disks drives that hold an unimpressive amount of storage space by today's standards.

[​IMG]

Microsoft recently announced that their new Xbox One SKU comes with a nice faster caching HDD, but sadly that leaves PS4 owners out in the cold, from the faster boot-up speed and game loading, but now SeaGate is selling a 'Game Drive' designed to install in the PS4.

So are you going to grab one of these babies?

NEWS SOURCE: Seagate Starts Selling 1TB SSHD for PlayStation (via) SoftPedia

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Sep 8, 2015.

1. 636
      LordX

LordX Loyal Member

Stay away from Seagate , want SSHD ? get WD or Toshiba , or better Samsung SSD.

2. 689
      ksp

ksp Loyal Member

Been using an SSHD on my PS3 for 3 years now.

They were super cheap when they first came out because nobody wanted them. Picked up an 1TB SSHD for like 70 bucks 3 years ago.

Amazing how outdated console tech is.

SSHD are really only good for consoles since the cache sector is so small its useless for anything else other than console boot sector.
      Now Seagate can finally get rid of all their useless SSHDs

DEDDOA likes this.
    3. 806
      dwrecording

dwrecording Loyal Member

SSHD's are a joke. They are hardly faster then a normal HDD.

4. 52
      Agret

Agret Loyal Member

Student
      Home Page:
      I have 2TB Seagate Backup Plus drive removed from enclosure and put into my PS4. Why would they release 1TB and not 2TB drive?

5. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

So they have started putting stickers on their sshdd boxes and listing compatibility on their drive listings. I'll be surprised if they do much given an actual SSD does near bugger all given the OS doesn't seem optimised for them (and with that in mind, it likely reduces the life off SSD's as well). Still they are a safer bet than an SSD for a PS4 with them being cheaper and having larger capacities, and as the NAND storage is handled by the drives firmware in the very least it should benefit the system boot times if nothing else without reducing the life of the drive.

SSHD's are only of any use in my opinion when they are cheaper than the equivalent standard HDD's as they have been for 4TB drives. 8GB NAND is not enough, as countless tests have shown that 64GB is the level where a real benefit start to appear, otherwise it's mainly basic repeated tasks like system boot or the like as opposed to what you would really want it for, such as game load times.

6. 134
      Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

Nonsense, PS4 games are just too big and SSHD are a joke.

When i'll buy a ps4 (right now i'm stuck with 2 ps3 and a sealed ps4 20th that i'm trying to sell) i think i'll go for a simple 3+ TB standard hard drive using a sata external hdd adapter. Relatively cheap, 7200rpm, huge :)