SEGA: Nintendo could drop Wii price to 80 bucks

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 4, 2010.

By Zeus on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus Staff Member MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    A studio director from SEGA has an idea of how Nintendo can save the Wii and make it fly off the shelves once again. It's simple! He believes that they can just drop down the price to 80 dollars and they will still make a lot of money!

<blockquote>I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves. And I believe they’ll still make money if they drop it to 80 bucks…Point being is they have the ability to lower the price on the Wii [...] where Sony and Microsoft cannot do that.â€</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.nintendoeverything.com/30463/" target="_blank">NintendoEverything</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 2,591
      EL_CAD

EL_CAD Loyal Member

Since when was Sega the expert on moving gaming consoles? This is like AMC giving advise to Toyota.

The Wii is still outselling the 360 and PS3 combined so I don't see a price drop for at least 6 months or more.

2. 6,312
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

There is one reason why their isnt a price drop:
      Nintendo make a profit on every unit sold.

In fact I wonder if many wii users stick to just a few games, which the shaver and razor model wont easily work with.

3. 387
      cafevincent

cafevincent Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I would buy one.

4. 613
      CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

I am still having a very difficult time in figuring out how the Wii is stalling in sales. Last week, the Wii sold 1.8M units while the 360 and PS3 combined only moved 1.7M units. So where in your right mind are Wii sales stalling? The Wii is outselling the PS2 during the same time in its life cycle. Not to mention, why would you drop the price to $80? The PS2 and the GC still sell for $99, why would the Wii drop below those prices? Do these people at Sega have any sense or are they employing ten year olds now?

5. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

I prefer to see it as a gradual slowing of sales, Stalling is more of a prediction of the end result.

The Wii went from 100% demand constantly out of stock to nintendo overstocking which now has resulted in a surplus, that should mean the slowing or closing of some plants and a relaxation of shipping to meet the demands of different regions.

The prediction as i see it is that the Wii will hit the market saturation point for this level of pricing in some regions soon, To keep up sales numbers nintendo will need to drop the price to target the next audience. So what is the next audience? in the UK it's the average two kid family stuck on social security looking to buy last generations technology (PS2/GC/Xbox) because they cannot afford the Wii and everything they'll need with it.

Nintendo can take this hit. i think they can remove £65 here and still be making a profit, Considering someone could get a PS2/GC for £40 this is fairly logical by sega.

6. 856
      wrathchild

wrathchild Loyal Member

It would have to be at least $80 before I would even consider buying that piece of crap.

7. 613
      CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

I do not see the logic behind it. Sales for the PS2 were slowing too; I do not recall anyone screaming that Sony drop the price to $80. The Wii is still outselling its competition, until that changes, I do not see the need in discussing price reductions. Mind you, the DS is still $120 and selling very well, the Wii cannot drop lower than the DS.

8. 687
      NeoNight

NeoNight Loyal Member

Home Page:
      well what are the price of two gamecubes now? lol :D;):p

9. 612
      soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

Exactly lol

10. 2,591
      EL_CAD

EL_CAD Loyal Member

Are Gamecubes that expensive over there? Here you would be lucky to get $20 for one. A Wavebird sells for more than the console does now.

11. 73
      cammy1011

cammy1011 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      If only they would of made the Wii HD,and at least played dvd movies out the box.

12. 613
      CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

If you are selling a used GC, clearly you're not going to get a whole lot more than $20 but new GC's are still in the $90-$100 price range.

13. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Not sure about a surplus the Walmart near me was completely sold out of Wii's this Christmas and in fact it was so weird they where also nearly sold out of games and accessories.... (even the crap was gone, I mean I can understand NSMB or a hand full of the other titles being sold out but I mean it was empty)

I mean I am talking there was like 3 games left in the case.

14. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I know what was the deal with the Wavebirds? I bought four of the things when I got my Wii and then they vanished (figured it was the best way to play all those GC games I never got to play... had I known I would hardly use more then 2 of the things I would have saved my money)

They are a decent controller but why did Nintendo stop making the things? If thats what happened.

15. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Good news its already at least 199$ !!!

ohhh wait did you mean it would have to at most $80 ?

Don't get mad I'm just playing, I know what you meant lol

16. 613
      CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. 1,792
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

American Motor Corporation??
      We're showing our age a bit here aren't we??

I thought they got picked up by Chrysler back during the 80's when Lee Iococa was still running the place.
      I wonder how he feels about the ultimate loss of Chrysler as former American Company, IIRC it's currently owned by Fiat S.p.A,, which again IIRC ~also~ owns Ferrari lol.

18. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Your store being completely sold out is no indication, when i spoke of surplus i meant nintendo's holding services not your local walmart.

It's a case of being able to find them in stock, some stores will charge a premium to keep it going. Up until six months ago i could get them for £25.
      Stores may also charge a premium on keeping games in stock too as shelf space is declining. As far as it goes you can still get a GC a few games a couple of controllers new here and it will still end up being cheaper than an £165 barebones Wii.

19. 673
      put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

**You can play dvd on wii + homebrows.

Nintendo can't make Wii play dvd base on dvd's license only.

Officially nintendo don't call Wii and GameCube optical as dvd (not include panasonic q). It's a trick to don't have to pay license to sony.

Unlike microsoft that have every license (from windows).

In order to make a dvd playback. Nintendo need to accept that it's a dvd and pay sony. pay more to go pass dvd's drm like css. and it might end like panasonic q.

so if Wii do play movie. i think it's more internet bound like itune, zune, netflex.