Slayers vs Auto-Installer Deluxe

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by DJB, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 367
    DJB

DJB New Member Loyal Member

Unemployed
    Home Page:
    Hey guys.

Just thought I'd write this little thread up because a lot of ppl have asked me this, so here it goes.

What is Slayers?

Slayers was one of the first (if not he first) proper installer disc system written for Xbox, consisting of EvoX as it's interface and main dashboard of installation, plus it included a few other small apps (like Avalaunch and Xbox Media Player/Center).

Up until around September 2004 it seemed like the best and most popular way of setting up your Xbox. But unfortunately, after this time it was no longer supported development-wise, and has severly grown outdated because of this.

EDIT: I'd just like to mention that a newer version did come out in October '06, however there was not many changes made except for the inclusion of XBMC).

What is Auto-Installer Deluxe?

Auto-Installer Deluxe was originally released back in December 2004 (version 1.0). The original idea was sparked by X-Disk, which supported multiple dashboard installs. It had a similar idea to Slayers, but instead took a more broad look at what was available software-wise at the time. It allows you to install one of many different Dashboards, and has countless Applications and Emulators to choose from. Now it's currently up to version 3.0, and in that time was grown bigger, and more flexible than any other installer available.

Pros and Cons about Slayers

Pro: Was the innovator of all most installer-disc systems today
    Pro: Up to version 2.6 it remained current with vital things (MS Dash etc)
    Pro: Fits on a 650mb CD-RW with no problems

Con: Outdated installer system, doesn't have many options
    Con: Only 2 Dashboards to install
    Con: Hardly any apps, ones exsisting seriously outdated
    Con: Supports modchip installs primarily, not real support for Softmods

Pros and Cons about Auto-Installer Deluxe

Pro: Most up-to-date installer there is today
    Pro: Lots of Dashboards, Applications, and Emulators to choose from
    Pro: Supports BOTH Modchip and Softmod installs
    Pro: Kept up-to-date with update packs, released every couple of months
    Pro: Plenty of options to choose from
    Pro: Standard Core package fits on a 650mb CD-RW

Con: Full package requires a DVD because it goes over 650mb

I've tried to be as honest as I can, if anyone would like to comment on this please do...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  2. 0
    Xzorsist

Xzorsist Guest

thanks very much for the info !!

I will go with AID.

Now .. where do i get it from !!!

ta

XZO:eek:

EDIT: Just seen the link on ur post as i written and submitted.. thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
  3. 367
    DJB

Unemployed
    Home Page:
  4. 0
    Blackmen

Blackmen Guest

Are we gonna vote for this ??
    Poeple if you dont like Slayers it's fine.If you dont like AID it's fine..but just remember who brought an installer to the scene first.....:D

5. 367
    DJB

Unemployed
    Home Page:
    Yes I'm well aware that Slayers was brought out before mine, but where Slayers has really stuffed up is by not supporting it any further, and basically letting it get seriously outdated.

I do give credit where it's due, coz if Slayers didn't originally do it, there's a good chance that I wouldn't have either, but, all that aside, I believe that AID is the installer of the present and the future.

6. 47
    martinburman

martinburman New Member Loyal Member

i know im a noob but how you you install this once you have got it gor example which way do i have to have the 3 options on my switch and then what do i do

7. 76
    MonsterTy

MonsterTy New Member Loyal Member

Home Page:
    DJB, Great Work! I finally got around to checking out AID 3, and I must say it is an excellent package. When compared to Slayer's 2.6 its no contest (not that it is or should be a contest - we're all here for the same reason) which installer has more features and up to date applications. I bow to both you and Slayer, as you and many others have helped take the XBox to a whole new level.

8. 18
    kingkwon

kingkwon New Member Loyal Member

Hey guys just one question about these installers... i modded my box like 3 years ago with the slayers... and ihave like 30 games on my hdd... how do I upgrade the software on it with AID3.0?? Please tell me I don't have to format it....

9. 363
    proctorbc2005

proctorbc2005 New Member Loyal Member

USMC V-22 Osprey Mechanic
    Instead of trying a completly new install with one of the auto installers, why not just manualy update the stuff thru FTP????????

10. 18
    kingkwon

kingkwon New Member Loyal Member

cool... i can just extract the image file of AID3.0 and ftp it over like i do xbmc?? thanks good idea i'll try that:cool:

11. 0
    VxXKRAYZIEXxV

VxXKRAYZIEXxV Guest

you also have to realize this is coming form the creator of aid. try them both for yourselves. they both have more cons and pros then he listed. i personally like slayers better and i have tried both.

12. 73
    evoxuix

evoxuix New Member Loyal Member

Yea these are too good Auto installer I used evox to format my hd and stuff then I used aid to use the unleash x stuff sooo they both can be used in conjunction. Also you got other installers like xwizard plus you can create your own too(I got the pdf for that somewhere)

13. 367
    DJB

Unemployed
    Home Page:
    Slayer has released a 2.7, which basically included the new XBMC.

Overall AID still has a lot more features and apps to choose from, and ofcourse will still be kept up-to-date every few months if need be.

14. 9
    PHLAK

PHLAK New Member Loyal Member

Thats what I liked about your program. Slayers is a great tool but lacks apps. And the big seller for me is.....Slayers is not updated like AID. Slayers has only had like what....2 or 3 updates in its entire life time? I said goodbye to Slayers and I did so respectfully since it really helped me back in the day but now its AID in my book for the win!!!

15. 15
    Magusu

Magusu New Member Loyal Member

I really love AID to be honest. Good job on it man!
    Even though Slayers was first it isn't my best choice at this time, it would be if AID didn't exist ;)

16. 2
    sithspawn

sithspawn New Member Loyal Member

Keep up the good work...

AID is the best tool for quickly setting up an xbox1. Very nice.

Thanks for all the effort!

Sithspawn

17. 24
    eebeejay

eebeejay New Member Loyal Member

Slayer's vs AID?
    This is no contest. No direspect to Slayer (I originally used it as my first tool) but Slayer's is the Yugo, and AID is the Ferrari. Both will get you where you want to go, but the Ferrari will get you there much faster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
  18. 367
    DJB

Unemployed
    Home Page:
    Just an update guys, I will be releasing AID 4.0 hopefully next month sometime (April '07).

Just like usual, it will have all the up-to-date apps and emulators, and also something else which I'll keep quiet for now hehe.

19. 0
    IAN C

IAN C Guest

That's great news (a release date), will keep a close eye on your website:)

20. 0
    Devilsown

Devilsown Guest

Slayers was great a few years ago but AID is now the daddy.

Cant wait for v4 as have tried many TECH and CVS builds of XMBC to get better vista support but most have been glitchy.

Can anyone recommend a decent build ( current one has blue ghosting on xvid playback )

Cant wait for AID 4, have always found them to be well packed and stable releases