SNES preservation project "dead" after $10k of games lost in the post

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 14, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 14, 2017 at 9:09 PM
  1. 23,360
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Mail sacked.

A Nintendo fan's project to digitally preserve every SNES game has ended in defeat after the US Postal Service (USPS) lost a package containing 100 cartridges.
    [​IMG]
    One of the major problems with the golden era of Super Nintendo Gaming, is that a good percentage of 'cartridge dumps' from the gaming days gone-by, are not perfect, but Byuu was trying to change all that, by correctly dumping all the original cartridges all over again, but the right way with no bad sprites and other raw data, but sadly the project has ended since the most recent shipment has disappeared with no hope in sight of it ever appearing again, so we will be stuck with playing 'bad dumps' let again on our SNES emulators.
    Even big 'N' themselves has been caught using 'incomplete' or 'bad dumps' on their Virtual Console, so this 'preservation project' would had infact helped them also, hopefully in the future it can be started up again and be completed for future gaming generations.

NEWS SOURCE: SNES preservation project "dead" after $10k of games lost in the post (via) EuroGamer

Comments

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 14, 2017.

1. 147
      breaKdown

breaKdown Loyal Member

Am I the only one who thinks that their approach was somehow stupid ?
      Why send TONS of cartridges across the globe and not just the hardware to dump those games to the collector ??
      Not trying to be rude here, but they kinda asked for it by doing it this way.

Also, why searching for a collector that has all the games instead of trying to contact preservation projects like No-Intro or TOSEC and confront tell them that all dumps (or some / most of them) might be bad? They are the ones who are interested in having 100% correct dumps, they also have the hardware and I bet all contributors collections combined also make out the entire SNES romset.

2. 1,432
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/lost-package/

The reason is contained in there...

3. 641
      soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

Smh... NEVER EVER send anything important with USPS, they are notorious for losing packages. It seems as if their tracking system allows employees to steal packages without accountability.

4. 950
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

If the value was declared, that's probably all it took. They do insure up to 50K for registered mail, only 5K for standard mail though. Hopefully the sender will file a claim.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    5. 1,432
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Was a DHL hand-off to USPS, DHL are the ones on the hook. I've dealt with DHL in the past, can't understand how they're still in business with their poor service and brokerage highway robbery.

Certainly explains how 1000 Euros of insurance to pay out doesn't even so much as warrant them trying to help...

6. 23,360
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      DHL to postal -- That occurred twice for one, once it was DHL until it got to germany, then they switch it USPS, 3 months later it finally appeared.

Twice I lost a parcel with USPS, once was with openvisla project, I got the first one fine the prototype, and bushing mailed out the final one but he did so before April, and in April USPS changed the 'outside USA tracking rules', they DON'T TRACK it once it leaves, and the incoming country does not have to, never appeared, and sadly I could not get bushing to mail another one out as he went and DIED! :)

Last one, most recent was last year, UK to here via USPS, the first stage went fine, got to the states, the second stage going from there to here, seems to have gone fine, but neither side claims them have it, and tracking just shows 'in transit', and been like that since March of last year, was my Nintendo Wii U, maybe with luck it will appear in time for the Switch launch next month! :)

i had best luck with DHL, 99% of the time it appears, if they handle it all the way, no extra outside agents, you have to be careful and read the fine print in some countries DHL hands it off to third-party.

UPS is not bad either, only once I lost a costly parcel, and they were so upset, they covered the insurance, and then even went out of their way so I would not sue them, they personally appeared at my door, with my insurance cheque, and gave me a bunch of free gifts which included into a pair of tickets to the Atlanta Olympics, and I got there just in time for the 'park bombing'. -- Thanks UPS for giving me a front row seat to a domestic terrorist attack! :)

WoIverine likes this.
    7. 950
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

USPS has lost a package of mine recently as well, when i was trying to send it to a buyer on ebay. They've also seriously damaged another package which was sent to me, even with it being marked "FRAGILE". Sucks, that kind of crap ruins my day. lol

Seems like the problems are a bit more widespread than they should be, and the claim process is a hassle.

8. 14
      rmorris003

rmorris003 Loyal Member

I work in brokerage for DHL Express here in Canada and because we are an express service that is why our customers end up paying duty/taxes and our processing fees to clear goods.

9. 23,360
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
    10. 13
      Soluble

Soluble Loyal Member

Came here to post thi
      Came here to post this. Good result!