hit tracker

Sony: PS3 will pass Xbox 360, MS messed up their chance

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 3, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    Sony has revealed that they are supremely confident that their PS3 system will surpass the Xbox 360. Moreover, they believe that MS effectively messed up their chances to 'sprint ahead' with the console war. A fair reflection?

<blockquote>Sony's senior VP of marketing and PSN boss Peter Dille says they're closing in fast on Microsoft and the Xbox 360; won't need 10 years.

While not predicting anything, says Dille, "we'll pass them" and adds Microsoft missed their opportunity to "sprint as far ahead" as possible.

"I'm confident we'll be around in 10 years and I can say that because we've done it twice. PS3 will be around in 10 years and probably much longer than that," said Dille in an interview with IGN, asked if PS3 will overtake Xbox 360 sales.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/6870/sony-is-breathing-down-microsofts-neck-ps3-to-pass-xbox-360" target="_Blank">SI</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Now its a 14 year life span? I will have hopefully forgotten both my 360 and my PS3 by then. Does it really count when its the "poor peoples console", I mean the PS2 still sells now and has for several years but does anyone care? While I admire their diligence to keep their old consoles on life support (how many years after the PS2 were they still pushing the PSX slim?) its hard to really count it as a vital system when nothing worthwhile is really made for it beyond budget titles and the occasional sports game. I guess the bottom line is will the PS3 pass up the 360, not in the short term but if they keep it on the shelves long enough...probably...but most gamers will be on their PS4 and 720.

2. 848
      SLAYERPSP

SLAYERPSP Loyal Member

Sony just shut the f up already and put out the games im so tried of these guys. who cares who sells more just put out great games on both systems and be happy ms has a ton of money they can do what they want. and the system still sells. after all the rrod sh*t you have no chance.

3. 26,554
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

For sure, but only with a Iso loader or a cfw.

4. 52
      LOTG

LOTG Loyal Member

Yes the PS3 nano or what ever it will be by then will probably still sell in the future when it costs 10 bucks with a pack of cheese.

Maybe sony should also note that microsoft does not remove features from the xbox and that they strip it bare.

I wonder if they will be able to surpass it before they introduce a new Playstation. If not they should take a hike and stop trying to make phony marketing speeches.

5. 209
      custm_made

custm_made Loyal Member

um.....in all actuality, the ps3 has already surpassed the 360.

6. 5,715
      danight

danight Loyal Member

/ waits for someone to link to some goofy chart....

this gen is winding down microsoft is milking it and sony has just not started to get their stuff together.

But next gen will come before ps3 has a 10 year old birthday. This is sonys attempt to try and reassure buyers the product wont be left behind. But in truth it will be. Their is only so many devs and sony`s ps3 doesnt have a attach rate like ps2 had.

Ps2 dominated the last gen, ps3 stunk up this gen. Ps2 stayed alive because 3rd party devs made games for it. PS3 wont have that benefit.

Sorry sony... to little to late. wii has won and and no matter if the xbox 360 or ps3 stays in second or third place, it wont matter come next gen.

rumors of another price cut is already spreading.... for both the 360 and ps3 and it will force a wii cut.

7. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    8. 1,199
      DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

Sony must see the irony of being in Third Place to make jokes like this.

9. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Someone enable Custom Firmware or equivilancy and I'll think about it. ;)

10. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

lol:D

is it april fools already?:p

11. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      thank you, you must be the only other person who sees it
      on a sales per month basis PS3 is winning
      the only reason Xbox360 has sold more is because it was released 12 months before

in reality sony are actually in 2nd place in consoles per month.
      because of the 12 month headstart of microsoft they've been playing catch up. and been doing it very well

12. 1,199
      DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

No. In reality the PS3 is in Third Place. You can't count on projections, nobody knows what'll happen after the Arc/Natal are released.

EDIT: Don't reply to this, Sony themselves are saying they will EVENTUALLY surpass the 360. If you can't figure out from that who's in Third Place, I give up.

13. 5,715
      danight

danight Loyal Member

Ps3 was delayed... thats not Microsofts fault. Sony did the delay which pushed it back. Yes sony pushed back the release date of ps3.

14. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      then its fair to say that the PS2 is winning since they are still selling consoles
      sorry but the only fair way is months divided by sales. its not projection because projection is an assumption. fact is PS3 outsells X360 on a month by month basis to this date.
      thats not a projection.
      a projection is to say, continuing this trend by mid 2011 ps3 will have sold more.

15. 1,199
      DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

The only fair way is to take the number of consoles sold.

If the PS2 was part of this gen, of course it would be in the lead, but it's not. :rolleyes:

EDIT; Just to repeat:

16. 209
      weeboo

weeboo Loyal Member

As for sony and m$ catching up nintendo sale's. it would never happen, but its inenvitable from m$ part that they would lead the console sales against sony. People are thinkin that sony cant surpass m$ in the next few years and it would happen when ps4 and xbox360 come out.

come on do the math and see it for your self, itd happen in 2 years starting this year (3 years max) (2011,2012, the year of break point where 360 and sony sales would be about the same.)

17. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      exactly, it was released before the others.
      averages are the only fair way.
      and the wii in all fairness is not a next gen machine
      to me anyways
      sorry if im giving you truth
      truth is, if you had a product and was selling 1,000,000 a month
      then 12 months later i released something that was selling 3,000,000 a month
      i'd still be doing better

18. 1,199
      DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

Let's at least ask someone who's at least going to give us a slightly more intelligent opinion. Hello, wall! What do you think? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Once more for kicks;

19. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

man where do you guys come from?

MARS?

cause the 360 was outselling the ps3 for almost
      years in a row,now what are your calculations on those last couple of months that the ps outsold the 360?
      so you are saying that from october till now the ps3 has filled a 3 year gap?

ps3 sold 27million in october,360 stands at 39million as of januari so the ps3 managed to sell 12 million in a few months?

stop smoking and stop drinking,theres a little place called reality...