Sony to book $437 million from DeNA sale

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 4, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  1. 22,054
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Needs more cash to 'strengthen corporate structure'.

[​IMG]

Sony is selling its entire stake in social-game website operator DeNA for $437 million, as part of an effort to transform its business portfolio and reorganize assets.

Sony has announced that it will sell its entire stake in social-game website operator DeNA.

By selling its 17.7 million shares in the company, Sony will book a gain of ¥40.9 billion ($437 million). This sale was part of Sony's effort to transform its business portfolio and reorganize assets in a move to "strengthen its corporate structure."

As part of the same effort, Sony last week sold a Tokyo office for $1.2 billion and in January sold its New York City headquarters for $1.1 billion.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Sony to book 437 million from DeNA sale (via) GameSpot
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Sony sells DeNA shares (via) JoyStiq

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 4, 2013.

1. 5,609
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      If they keep selling, there is nothing left except for money on the account...but thats far off yet thou ;)

By the time they sold everything they own, there is probably 5 employees left and 20.000$ on account. lol
      Why arent they selling Columbia Tristar? Maybe they earn money on movies?

2. 13,391
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      given the losses sony must be making on keeping the vita on sale i wonder how long this will last.

3. 769
      dwrecording

dwrecording Loyal Member

This shows how desperate Sony is getting. They are going under fast. PS4 will not save them.

4. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I would have to agree, much as I would like to disagree I simply cannot. Hardly a week goes by with out seeing some sort of "Sony is selling X" companies that are doing well usually buy things not sell them (ironically in Sony's case, people are not buying from them!).

I suspect Sony is pretty much "broke" at this point in time, they keep posting enormous losses... Eventually they will run out of stuff they do not need and begin to sell things they do need, like say main office buildings. At that point the end is getting really close.

Maybe Sony will sell it's movie studio or music division next? The movie division have at least posted some small profits (very small but when the rest of the company is bleeding billions of dollars in a quarter, 112 million dollar profit looks awesome.)
      Well it was a great run while it lasted, the PS1 and PS2 will forever be some of my favorite game systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013