hit tracker

Sony updates its PlayStation 4 'Software Usage Terms'

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Nov 10, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Nov 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  1. 24,395
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    New November 2013 terms.

Sony has updated its TOS to include the PlayStation 4, and there's something interesting in the 'Resale' section...

[​IMG]

Sony has added the 'Software Usage Terms' for the new upcoming PlayStation 4 (November 2013), but they also apply to all the PS systems.

And, well, here's the 'Resale' part:

Sony also reminds you that all the Software is "Licensed", and that you "do not acquire ownership" of it:

There's also some interesting info about Online monitoring:

You can check out the full TOS on the link below!

NEWS SOURCE #1: Software Usage Terms (via) PlayStation
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Legal (via) PlayStation

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Nov 10, 2013.

1. 1,439
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Their ToS violates the laws in my country...so they can simply put, suck it.

2. 927
      kronikdaddy

kronikdaddy Loyal Member

Lol

Didnt they see how people reacted to M$ doing the "You cant resale the games your purchased" thing? Kinda shady sneaking this in less than a week before PS4 launch in US. I wonder if they will backpedal like M$ did?

3. 13,437
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      what an absolute fucking disgrace.

Battlefield likes this.
    4. 58
      unclemonkey

unclemonkey Loyal Member

I think if you check the terms in most games they read the same. I remember reading a similar thing in a 360 games manual ages ago and we'd surprised then that I didn't actually own what I just purchased so nothing really new here

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    5. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Just goes to show keeping quiet about being shitty to consumers doesn't make them any less shitty, just more slimey. I guess it's true what they say about a leopard and it's spots.

6. 13,437
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      that's true, but its the way this one is phrased differently and very clearly specifies disc based game, the software may be licensed but the first sale doctring has made absolutely clear that we own and can sell the media whilst making no claim to ownership of the content stored on it, but we can sell it and any attempt to strip away that absolute right is just plain wrong.

7. 23
      PieMan

PieMan Loyal Member

i got the pitchforks...anyone else want to go to sony hq and "talk" about the new tos with me?

disclaimer: with the way the world is now. my above statement is a joke and i will not actually do what i said above...go F*** yourselves NSA ;D

8. 6,562
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Sony need to release a video showing how to sell games now like they did for sharing, only this time including a part where he contacts Sony and a publisher.

I cant help but get the feeling that theyre going to do something for them to include this, even if its something similar to region free.

Can anyone check the license that comes with games to see if it includes something about being able to resell games? Because if it doesnt reselling games may have legally just become more complicated.

Still, glad Ive made a decision to not get either console yet though I doubt my brother will cancel his preorder over this (even though hes only buying it for Fifa).

9. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      not that it matters, sony are not blocking users from lending/selling their games but wonder if what they are after reading this.

or could it mean the console itself isnt locking the game to the console, but companies such as EA could use its origin to login/create an account or even detect a unique serial hidden on the disc and if you try resell the game, when that user tries loading or logging into origin EA will tell em to feck off.

10. 1,626
      Nocuddle

Nocuddle Loyal Member

How do you resell "Software Downloads"? o_O;

Artlover likes this.
    11. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      They aren't?

They are blocking resale in the same way the law blocks murder. There is nothing preventing you from doing it, but there will be consequences to pay after the fact if you do.

For the first time, a console maker has applied a very specific disc resale clause to their own TOS. That changes the game, legally speaking.

I forgot that 'no lube and you're not allowed to cry' is a condition of Sony fanboyism, so whatever, ignore it and defend them.

Nocuddle likes this.
    12. 644
      alkalinetrio

alkalinetrio Loyal Member

Let me clarify.

This is the current TOS

You may not resell Game Software unless expressly authorised by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

What this is saying is you are not allowed to sell games, unless SONY authorises. Which they have authorised.

However, the implications of the NEW TOS id that it now adds publishers into the equation.

This means the good people at EA that graciously got rid of online passcodes, could potentially block the resale of the software.

This is not surprising and originates from the original challenge sent to SONY after thewhole Xbox ONE DRM debacle, where SONY said THEY will not personally block used games but hinted it was out their hands if publishers would or not.

Nocuddle and kcvfr400 like this.
    13. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      No, they haven't.

What some PR guy says at a trade show is not binding. Only thing binding is what the TOS says, and they didn't authorize jack diddly in that.

14. 3,170
      kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

Nice to have it layed out without some blind hate in context to what it was before. Still worrying but I wonder if more to get rid of the secondhand market thats killed the new games on the high street here over hitting the individual gamer as not being bale to use a game on mine and the kids machien would be strong reason not to buy a ps4.

15. 644
      alkalinetrio

alkalinetrio Loyal Member

lol @ Shuhei Yoshida, as some PR guy :)

As said before, it's exactly the same as the current TOS, except publishers now have the right to decide if they want to block second hand sales.

Sony may be foolish, but do you think they watched Microsoft do that shameless 180 and literally beg the consumer for forgiveness and make that grovelling apology and think.... "let's do the same thing!"

They will sit back, put the blame on the publishers if and more likely when they decide to block used games and claim no responsibility, as technically they are not blocking anything. When that happens you had better believe they will be doing it across all platforms too, this will not be restricted in anyway to PS4

16. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Sony already managed to lock discs to a console, so it could be possible that its a standard on PS4. Time will tell, and media will tell us if it is.
      Atleast 2-3 * PS3 games uses disc lock. PS All-Stars Battle Royale is the only i remember.

Battle Royale is locked for a good reason. Its so people can't give away VITA versions left and right for free. Its limited to 1 copy pr PS3 retail. Thats fair, and why its locked.

The PS3 game should still work in any console, but VITA part is disabled.

17. 24,395
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Reading thru the whole ToS, I noticed this part:

Seems they could BAN you if you let you KID play an MATURE game, even OFFLINE mode!

18. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Remember that everyone have to agree to this if they wanna play games online. Most people blindly have to accept this without reading it, because otherwise Shop, Online gaming etc.. gets disabled.

19. 24,395
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Well if it is the same as PS3, you have to accept the ToS to be able to install firmware updates, each one asks you again!