Steam Greenlight is about to be dumped

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 10, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM
  1. 22,854
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Valve plans new system along with fee increase

Valve is set to drop its Steam Greenlight system — which allows customers to vote on small-scale and fledgling projects — in favor of a more streamlined system.
    [​IMG]
    The new system is going to be called 'Steam Direct', and instead of community voting up or down a project, the developers will just need to fill out a simple form, submit their game, but now instead of paying a flat $100 fee, they could be charged up to $5,000 depending on the type of game they are submitting, below is some of the details of the new system, with more info coming out in later on this month.
    Good news is that Steam Early Access is not changing, and we will soon have more news in full interview with the boss man himself Gabe Newell, but what do you think about these changes, do you like the idea, or do you think it will change things too much?

NEWS SOURCE: Steam Greenlight is about to be dumped (via) PolyGon

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 10, 2017.

1. 925
      DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

Asshole devs releasing shitty games, ruining the store, resubmitting the same game (so that their game ends up on the first page).

Almost 40% of all Steam releases (since the store was launched in 2004) were in 2016: http://kotaku.com/nearly-40-of-all-steam-games-were-released-in-2016-1789535450

Can you imagine how many of those were utter shit? Because of them, ALL developers must suffer now. God damn it. Pisses me off...

Jim Sterling covered some of the most shittiest games on Steam last year (and the year before that). It's like the Wild fucking West there. Steam Greenlight became the laughing stock of the industry because of them.

2. 6,423
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

The problem with their new system.....it doesn't fix the problem which was and always will be QC.

Had Valve given a **** they would have reviewed the games people wanted to put up and decide that they should be given a shot and given some of the **** I've seen it would be pretty easy to do objectively e.g. ban any Unity assett flips unless the dev has done SOMETHING, do the models start in a T-post? Ban any 'noob' from having trading cards, etc.

Charging a fee IMO doesn't solve the problem as it could prevent good games getting on to Steam and I'm sure there are ****y Greenlight devs who will be able to still afford the fee somehow.

3. 22,854
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yep, some of shitty games still somehow make at least 1 million in sales, so they could easy risk upfronting the top $5,000 fee to get their game out there.

QC like you said is the only way to cut down on the 'shit', but then people will complain they are censoring the system and not allowing their indie game thru.

But its a growing problem, even when it comes to big brand-names like Xbox and PlayStation, the percentage divide between good stuff and bad stuff on their online shops is growing greatly and sadly towards the side of 'wtf, this is shit, can i get my money back right now please!'.

tech3475 likes this.