The Mysterious Original Xbox Tray Boot Source Code Has Been Released

Discussion in 'Underground Xbox Scene' started by GaryOPA, Feb 19, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM
  1. 24,169
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    From the days of Original Xbox Soft-Modding, using 'Bert & Ernie' modded fonts, and Krazyie's NDURE Installer

Time to dig out your old big bulky original Xbox console, and see if you can locate your original disc for '007: Agent Under Fire', 'Mech Assault' or 'Splinter Cell' and remember how you use to 'soft-mod' your video gaming machine in a few easy and fool-proof steps.
    [​IMG]
    But before it all become easy with Krazyie's error-free, crash-proof, fool-proof NDURE Installer, there was alot of development steps in the Xbox scene, and one of the major ones was figuring out how to get 'dual-boot' and then 'tri-boot' to work using the 'Bert & Ernie' fonts, where you could load up different 'dashboards', like for example Open Empty Tray for 'Original Go Live Microsoft Mode', or Closed Empty Tray for 'UnLeashX' or 'Tray with DISC Inside' to load up Linux or something else special, and now some kind anonymous person has released that 'early' source code, that later on Krazyie had included in his later versions of 'NDURE Installer' for all to use.
    It is nice to review and look thru since sadly all the original development threads from back in the day on 'Xbox-Scene.com' are long gone with no backup, is nice to remember it took alot of steps to get to the easy 'softmod' that was developed, as it was not an overnight miracle that so many think today it was, and 'Bert & Ernie' sure make it easier, and hopefully more pieces of history will appear that will show how it all came into play, piece by piece, making for one smooth, easy to use, NDURE Installer for all to enjoy!

NEWS SOURCE: The mysterious Xbox Tray Boot source code (via) EurAsia

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Xbox Scene' started by GaryOPA, Feb 19, 2017.

1. 14
      Soluble

Soluble Loyal Member

The original xbox is the reason I still visit this site today!

2. 6,533
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

What about the internet archive for the old threads?

3. 7
      wmxp

wmxp Loyal Member

Krayzie just used the tools available to scene to make a noob proof installer. He didn't program for the original Xbox, he just wrote a well thought out installation script using UnleashX (which were all in plaintext XML). The tray boot options, and ASM source you speak of belongs to NKPatcher written by "rmenhal": https://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1164.nfo
      NKPatcher brought numerous features to the table for softmodding, and put it above and beyond what modchips/tsop users were able to have.

My personal favourite feature was the Virtual DVDrom feature,which is amazing. You can mount ISO images directly off the HDD, much like say Daemon Tools would in Windows. It provided numerous advantages such as:
      -FTP a single ISO to the Xbox, instead of sending a whole game one file at a time using the archaic send/confirm/receive/confirm file transfer protocol
      -The Xbox DVD file system supported up to 128 character file path, where as the HDD file system only supported 42. When creating Emulator/ROM packs for the Xbox, this allowed using the full verbose game title for every rom (with a few exceptions)
      -The path limitation for the HDD was used as a rudimentary system of copy protection for a few games, namely DTM/TOCA Race Driver 3. When attempting to dump the game to the HDD, the deliberate extra long files names on the disc would be truncated and would be detected on game run.
      -The very popular "DVD2Xbox" homebrew for dumping games later added a direct dumping to ISO feature, which stole the ISO creation code directly from NKPatcher's supplementary "Drive Image Utilities" package: https://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1149.nfo
      The output ISOs it creates even have the "mount.xbe" dumped in the same folder, which calls a system hook that only a NKPatcher compiled with the VirtualDVDrom feature enabled knows how to interpret.

Krazie also used the Phoenix Bios Loader Metoo edition with a modified version of the EvoX M8+ universal bios.
      https://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1135.nfo
      (PBL was mainly used during the "Config" version of the exploit save as an easy way to shutdown the "Shadow C" feature of NKpather, to allow access to the real C drive partition.

I spent a LOT of time tweaking mods for the original Xbox, and I know how the system works intimately. When rmenhal came on the scene it was a huge game changer for the softmod community, who had previously been jeered at for not forking out for a modchip. In fact NDURE stands for: "Next Dimension Uber Rmenhal Exploit", which was christened in honor of his contributions to the scene.

A lot of fork spin offs of NKpatcher came later (since it was open source) adding features like VGA output modes, and extra fan speed settings based on the temperature settings, that could be hooked to the bios in pure ASM, without needing any dashboard interference.

Krazie's installer was brilliant in how it took all the pieces of the puzzle and put them together, especially his idea of extracting a dummy blank ShadowC, and then copying the MSDash 5960 back into it from the saved backups. Credit where credit is due however. :)

4. 7
      wmxp

wmxp Loyal Member

Bleh, my memory is fading a bit here after a decade. I'm forgetting how the triboot worked. I believe the code was partially written by rhemnal, but it is indeed part of the font exploit, as there's code to load a legit ms signed dashboard. Everything was based around M$'s goof back then, when the community discovered on some official test servers what would come to be called "The Uber Dash", which was an official MSdash that ran on every xbox kernel, but still had every exploit hole intact that had been patched. Trying to use the update.xbe from older exploitable dashboards on a newer kernel xbox would result in it shitting the bed. I'm trying to remember the name of the guy who came up with Ndure in the first place (I believe he came up with it's predecessor, UXE - Ultimate XBE Exploit, also). He famously use to try and get the community involved in his visions by writing in this very weird cryptic manner (very deliberately), which developers just ate up with a spoon. Somewhere in my brain, I KNOW where this came from. It's just a matter of digging through my old files to figure it out.

5. 7
      wmxp

wmxp Loyal Member

Okay, found the original thread that started it all concerning the "Uber Dash": http://web.archive.org/web/20080403...howtopic=263586&st=60&p=1977935&#entry1977935

Every exploit from UXE onwards piggy backed off this discovery. The poster "eh" was the cryptic visionary, and then rmenhal brought his dreams to light by writing all the ASM code for the font exploits.

When "eh" had his next vision for creating an exploit that would work on XBL, he created a secondary forum account on XS, calling himself "ndure protagonist". Ndure, by creation, was a font exploit that has this dualboot functionality based on tray state from the get go. Krayzie didn't add this functionality, amazing as he was.

Alright, I'm done. X_X

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
      GaryOPA likes this.
    6. 24,169
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yep, I remember that now, infact going thru my emails, I noticed I still have a few in my archive from eh. -- I wonder if it still works, should email him this thread! :)

Don't be a strange wmxp, stay around posting, we need more Retro Xbox stuff here! :)

7. 7
      wmxp

wmxp Loyal Member

The Xbox family has always been my passion, but ironically I'm a full time mod on one of the sites you wiped your hands of, psx-scene. Maybe I'll expand my horizons a bit here. Maxconsole was the defacto board for the xbox trainer community back then, which I frequented a lot.

8. 1
      BCFosheezy

BCFosheezy Loyal Member

Great read. Thanks for posting.