The world's slowest Linux computer...

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Apr 2, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM
  1. 22,229
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Running on a 8-bit RISC microcontroller.

[​IMG]

A programmer managed to run Ubuntu on a 8-bit RISC @ 6.5KHz, with only 16KB of SRAM and 128KB of flash storage...

Programmer Dmitry Grinberg managed to run Ubuntu on an 8-bit micro. Linux minimum system requirements are 32-bit machine with 1MB of RAM, so surely this is the world's slowest Linux computer... by far.

He had to write an ARM emulator so that the system appeared as having a 32-bit processor with an MMU and, according to him, it took four hours to boot the system, but the command line was completely usable, typically responding "within a minute".

Check out the video below, to see how he tests it, and of course his webpage for complete details on how he managed to build this thing!

OFFICIAL SITE: http://dmitry.co/index.php?p=./04.Thoughts/07. Linux on 8bit

NEWS SOURCE: http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/01/worlds-slowest-linux-computer/

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news story!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Apr 2, 2012.

1. 5,956
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

rubbish, leave my sister alone with any PC for 5 minutes and it will run a hell of a lot slower, if she can figure out how to turn it on . This is a girl who has in the past stored food in an empty DVD drive bay when i forgot to put the cover back on, then later the PC wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes without crashing, which I found out was due to a half a digestive biscuit lodged in the CPU fan. I also can't forget the keyboard that didn't work properly and kept sticking on cwertain, buttons, when i pisked it up I got covered inthe coffe she had tipped in it earlier that day and forgotten about.