hit tracker

TomTop Help Please.. What should I do?

Discussion in 'General Buy / Sell / Trade' started by ToolPunkXS, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 6
    ToolPunkXS

ToolPunkXS Loyal Member

If this isn't where I should post... If you know where I should go for help... If you have the answer to my problem... Please help and Thank You!

I purchased a Drone from TomTop. I waited a whole month for it to come. I flew it only 5 times. It is now defective. During the 5th flight it beeped and did its emergency landing like when the battery is low. I go over to get it and immediately I can smell electrical overheating. I took out the battery and let it cool down for a while. When I put the battery back in one of the propellers started spinning real slow.... I hit the stick to fire up the propellers and 3 of them spin at top speed, while that other just spins real slow... Even days later it still reeks of electrical overheating.

I contacted TomTop Customer Support through email twice and left a message with Customer Service twice. I have not received a response from them at all. Is there something I am not doing to get ahold of them in a better way? Are they deliberately not responding? Am I to think this is a bad company and I should cut my losses? Should I not be entitled to a replacement of a product that defected so soon?

2. 6
    ToolPunkXS

ToolPunkXS Loyal Member

In a 5th attempt to contact TomTop I followed the bellow guide found on their website. Supplying them with my customer info, pictures of packaging and videos documenting the fault. Under their Return Policy & Guarantees guide they state "We will usually offer you a refund or send a replacement as soon as the problem is confirmed. Sometimes you may need to ship the defective item back to us for free repair service or a new replacement. Customer should cover the return shipping fee, and TOMTOP is responsible for the shipping costs of arranging reshipment by air mail." So, I do hope this finally resolves the issue and I can do business with them in the future.

Fault 01

Fault 02

Return Policy & Guarantees
    What should I do if my products go broken after a period of use?

If you encounter quality issues within the warranty period you will be covered. Every product has a specific warranty period (If it is not stated in the product listing, contact us via email to [email protected]).

In this case, please kindly provide us with proof as below:

1. The photos of original TOMTOP package with front and back sides
    2. The photos or video of the defective item(s)
    3. The photos, video or screenshot showing the malfunction of the defective item(s)

3. 6
    ToolPunkXS

ToolPunkXS Loyal Member

After, another week and a half of waiting they tell me their Technician hasn't responded. I finally get a response and this is what they say "How long has this been flying? Did the battery overheat? This could have caused this. Does this answer your problem?". All of which I already explained and responded with the same. After another week I get the response "Please open device and check for damage" (their policy states not to open the device to repair it). I responded with stating it was documented that they told me to open it. I took pictures and sent these into them.

https://imgur.com/kNdK2l5
    https://imgur.com/s9VwCat

At this point it seems like it takes about 4-10 days to get a response from them. They get back to me with "Please find a local repair shop and we will cover the cost". I already told them there was no local repair shop but to humor them I told them again, their response "Please use google maps to find a local repair shop". After a third time telling them there was no local repair shop, they offer me to have a "partial refund" which at this point despite telling me the device "was under warranty", I said "please if that is what it takes for me to buy a working drone do it". A week and a half later and no refund. I contact them again, remind them there is no local repair shop, they didn't refund me and I would just like them to refund me, fix the drone or replace it. At a total of 15+ emails to support later they offer me to "pay the international shipping cost of $10" to resolve the situation which again I agree. Another week and a half go by and no response. I Finally tell them I cant handle dealing with their lack of real support and that I would contact my bank to try and get a refund on a almost DOA item that they failed to warranty. They respond with a blank email.

As I told them, if you buy from TomTop and your item is faultless then sweet, if you have an issue you just lost money to who knows what country that swindled you... Wanted to get behind an international company that worked like Amazon and such but apparently they lack the Bad Egg Protection. Never buying from them again.

4. 6
    ToolPunkXS

ToolPunkXS Loyal Member

I have been a resident MaxConsole user for... since its birth.. I would not back a company like this. I would not market, post sales and review product for a company that does not honor their products and warranties...

Should change title to, "TomTop, if you gamble... try gambling with products"

5. 6
    ToolPunkXS

ToolPunkXS Loyal Member

6. 24,270
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    They are currently on holiday break until Oct. 10th, for china national holiday and mid-autumn festival.

But I have some contacts at TomTop, I will pass on to them this thread, and see if I can get a better reply for you.

Sadly, its always very hard to return goods to China, it can be hit and miss, and 'quadcopter' drones are real problem, I myself once ordered 10 of them (not your model), and only 7 worked out of the box, I ended up using the broken 3 as spare parts for the others as there was no system or way to return the broken 3, a big lost for me, as originally, I thought I could sell 9 of them to friends, and make some a big of extra cash and have one for myself for basically free, in the end I only sold a couple of them, and it was not long before my friends got upset and I was using the broken ones to repair their units, as they didn't last long after initial working before they ended up developing problems.

7. 6
    ToolPunkXS

ToolPunkXS Loyal Member

Thank you for the reply. Yes, if you can help in any way that would be great. It has been a frustrating mess because it was something my young daughter was so looking forward to. To add to it, I had already ordered a second one before the first one broke because I thought it would be a fun gift. Now we are too afraid of flying the second one because the support was so lackluster and unrewarding. I mean come on, to expect there to be an RC repair shop in every town in the world? Knowing that is absurd, what will you offer the customer as an alternative option to an item you agreed was under warranty? After many weeks and emails, their choice was for me to pay shipping for a replacement, which I agreed to. Then they just dropped off with no contact at all and no resolution to the issue.

Thank you for relaying your mishap also, at least I'm not alone in this.