Tutorial: How to prepare the HDD (with preconfigured packages)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by SDeath, Feb 28, 2014.

1. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

To make things easy for you I have setup 3 pre-configured HDD packages to prepare your HDD, this way you are sure all the needed files are there on the HDD.

The Packages:
    HDD Package 2.2.1 Browser Stealth* (recommended)
    HDD Package 2.2.1 Browser SuperStealth*
    HDD Package 2.2.1 Manager
    *Stealth will show the COBRA Browser in the Games and Video section of the XMB, SuperStealth will only show the COBRA Browser in the Video section.
    All 3 packages include the Browser and the Manager, from update 2.0 onward it's very easy to switch between the two, just a small edit in the cobra.cfg. The differences between the packages is just how the cobra.cfg is setup. The Manager now also supports disc dumping so that's why I think it should also be included in the Browser packages.

Instructions
    01 - Download one of the above packages.
    02 - Extract the contents to the root of the HDD.
    03 - Copy the games to the folder PS3_GAMES.
    04 - Adjust the cobra.cfg to your needs, since FW 2.1 most used options like Return to Manager and Eject On Selection are enabled by default, the other options like 4.55 or LED disable you need to adjust yourself.
    05 - Safe eject the HDD and connect to the external PCB USB port.
    Done!

Tips
    If you downloaded one of my Browser packages you can switch easily to the manager by changing this line:

Code:
    #manager.type=homebrew

To this:

Code:
    manager.type=homebrew
    And if you used my Manager package you have to do the revers to switch to the Browser so change this line:

Code:
    manager.type=homebrew
    To this:

Code:
    #manager.type=homebrew
    Changelog
    v2.2.1
    - Bugfix, renamed the PSX_EUR.BIN file to PSX_PAL.BIN.
    v2.2
    - Updated to the new 2.2 firmware, the packages also include the files for PSX auto region patching
    v2.1
    - Update to the new 2.1 firmware.

File versions used
    - Firmware 2.2
    - Browser/Manager 1.6
    - cobra.db 14-06-2014

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    brave_man, raito, SZAKES45 and 13 others like this.
  2. 262
    flyingnimbus

flyingnimbus Loyal Member

Thanks Sdeath for your awesome update as per usual.
    if you've downloaded the stealth/superstealth browser and if you want to revert to using the manager, just add # before "manager.type=browser" to make it "#manager.type=browser" in the cobra config file

Goodknight and SDeath like this.
  3. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Thanks will add that to the Tips. =-) That also goes for the manager.

4. 189
    yosimba2000

yosimba2000 Loyal Member

those of you planning to download and use the Browser versions, be sure to open up the cobra.cfg and remove the pounds sign (#) before manager.type=browser or the package will still run as Cobra Manager and not Cobra Browser

5. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Hell no, it's preconfigured correctly nothing you need to do to that.
    You probably downloaded the wrong version the Manager.

6. 189
    yosimba2000

yosimba2000 Loyal Member

ah sorry i checked it again and it's definitely all good like you say it is :) i just mistakenly thought the commented line was meant to be the code you were using... didn't scroll down far enough. but great pack. thanks SDeath!

7. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Nah it's just if you want to switch between the Manager and the Browser or vice versa as the Manager now support disc dumping people will switch more often and it also is now a lot easier to switch between the two.

8. 5
    hmrustice

hmrustice Loyal Member

Hey Guys,
    I updated my PS3 to version 4.55, also updated all COBRA ODE: Bootloader for 1.3 and MCU to 2.0.
    When I tried to use the console in EMU mode, the LED remains red. Gave a searched the forum and found this tutorial, but even with these files EMU mode does not work. The LED remains red. When I try to start the system, it hangs on the XMB, but only in EMU mode. What can I do to fix?

PS3 Slim 3XXX, OFW 4.5, 160GB Internal HDD.

Thanks a lot.

9. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Did you also update the FPGA1 and FPGA3 images?

10. 60
    mrcs87

mrcs87 Loyal Member

thanks very much .. very useful

11. 275
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Computer Technician, part time construction worker
    California for now, until I move to kick ass Texas
    Thank you very much for this application! I just have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for me.

1.) I notice how the game folders line up differently under the VIDEO section in comparison to the GAME section using my Cobra ODE. I really like how the folders under the VIDEO section all line up in a row showing the titles with small pictures and I am curious if it is possible to get the Cobra ODE Browser to look the same under the GAME section. I would really like that.

2.) I also notice that with all my PS3/PSN download games I can hit Square button and change the way I view them from "All" to "Format" and by "Album". By using triangle on each title I can change the information on the game essentially creating a folder for it so I can have all my games in their own folders. Mini's in the Mini's folder, NEO-GEO games in the NEO-GEO folder, PSOne Classics, PS2 Classics, Action, Adventure, Shooters, FPS, Racing, Strategy, Surivial Horror, etc.. all in their own folders to make searching for the games much easier since I have over 1000 PSN games. I cannot seem to do this with the games on my Cobra Browser menu and I was hoping their can be a way to do this or perhaps you can add this in the future. Now that I can make PSN games into ISOs, (and hopefully PSOne and PS2 Classics as well), I would like to find a way to seperate them into their own folders like my Downloadable titles. This would really be nice on the Cobra ODE.

3.) I'm not sure this is the best thread to ask, but here goes. I am trying to figure out how to play PS1 games using my external HDD just like my PS3 ISOs. The Version 2.0 Manual for Cobra ODE tells me I need to make PSOne games into Bin/Cue format and place them into the PS1 Folder. However, when I add my retail disc Bin/Cue of Resident Evil to the PS1 folder and look for it in the browser I cannot find the game. I have tried the Clone CD image that it was originally with no luck. I have tried it in ISO format with no luck. I have tried it in Bin/Cue with no luck. I have changed the regoin from NTSC, to PAL, to Japan and still no luck. I have even tried to boot the browser using a retail PSOne game (Castlevania SOTN), and I still cannot find the Resident Evil PS1 Bin/Cue anywhere in the browser. Can someone please tell me exactly what to do to get the PS1 game Bin/Cues to appear in the Cobra browser so that I can play them? I'm completely out of ideas on this one. Also I am using an Asian PS3 model 3006b right now, so is that why I'm having an issue here? I'm assuming all PS3s have PS1 BC, and that I will need to use a region changer to make the ISOs PAL format before I play them. Any ideas? Thanks!

12. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

1 + 2: Don't think there is a way to change this as the browser is made on the fly and follows the Sony rules as it's a Sony method.
    Maybe they can change the sorting a bit.

3: Not sure the ones I tried I downloaded and worked without problems, put them in the PS1_GAMES folder not the PS1 folder. The need to be bin/cue.

13. 275
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Okay, thanks. About the folder, yes the Bin/Cue is in the PS1_GAMES folder not the PS1 folder. Sorry about that. ;) Should the PS1 game just appear in the same area as all the other games then, and should I still use a PS3 game inside the console? No matter what I do I cannot find any PS1 games in the list of other games. Everything else I have as far as PS3 and PSN-->ISOs all show up in the list and play no problem.

14. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

The PS1 games show in the end of the list and have a general icon, not a game icon.

15. 275
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Well, I have tried 3 different games in many different combinations. Resident Evil 1 and 3 don't even show up, but I finally got Resident Evil 2 to appear in the list. I start it up and I get.... BSOD. I change region to PAL, I boot it up and I get....BSOD. I change the region to JPN, and I boot it up just to get....BSOD. LOL I give up I guess my 3006b PS3 just doesn't like PS1 games. :p Back to playing them all as downloads from the PSN I guess. PS1 Bin/Cues on PS3 3006b no worky for me. :D

EDIT: I downloaded new Bin/Cues from a different website. All 3 games now show up on the list using Cobra ODE. All 3 of them act like they are loading and playing, but they give me a bsod and if I hit the PS button I get a menu to change options like I would with a real PS1 game playing. So it seems that it wants to work, and perhaps the game is playing but I'm getting no video/audio from it. I am totally confused. I am using the 3006b PS3 which is an NTSC/J console, so I am patching the ISOs with JPN region and they still do not work for me. Does it matter if the ISOs are made for a different region? I mean do I need to download japanese only PS1 games, because if thats what I need to do then I guess PSOne playback on this PS3 is worthless.

Also, I noticed that there is some kind of app that came out last year that allows PS2 games to play on any PS3. Is there any chance we can get that going for the Cobra ODE sometime soon?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  16. 29
    andyus

andyus Loyal Member

I got a question, i downloaded the super stealth browser, it work very well, but the icon return to cobra browser on xmb..is safe? I mean i want a xmb clear like the ofw and i don't know if this icon can be detectable and its not stealth anymore! I got a super Slim so its better for me leave this enabled but first of all i want a stealth xmb like the ofw

17. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Yeah I think it's safe. =-)

andyus likes this.
  18. 2,017
    DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist <b>Forum's Guitarist</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Mew-Me Loyal Member

Student Gamer that works in a bank :P
    You are just being paranoid :D I use multiMan and non IRD checked games and play online over a PROXY and I'm still not banned :D

andyus likes this.
  19. 29
    andyus

andyus Loyal Member

lol you right i was posting i being paranoid..i will be more quiet..XD

20. 2,017
    DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist <b>Forum's Guitarist</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Mew-Me Loyal Member

Student Gamer that works in a bank :P
    Nah man I didn't mean you should be more quiet :D I just said that you are being paranoid :p no one using an ODE has been banned and even us people who use a PROXY+ODE+OFW haven't been banned :p so... Just relax and play games...

... Before they ban you for real...