US AG officially indicts console mod-chippers over 2007 raids

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, May 1, 2012.

By GaryOPA on May 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  1. 21,859
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Nearly 5 years later!

[​IMG]

Department of Justice announced indictments against ten individuals subject of a 2007 raid targeting alleged video game console mod chip suppliers and sellers!!

Back in 2007, Federal agents carried out a series of raids against individuals and businesses in 16 US states as part of an investigation into the distribution and sale of mod chips. This one was dubbed "Operation Tangled Web". This is a little background:

Well, now, nearly five years later, Department of Justice announced indictments against ten of those alleged video game console mod chip suppliers.

Little is know about the charges and sentences, but this is what was brought up:

Of course, defenders note that console mod chips have extensive legal uses as well...

We will have to follow closely the development of these cases in the upcoming days!

NEWS SOURCE #1: http://www.justice.gov/usao/ohn/news/10april2012_2.html
    NEWS SOURCE #2: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...esult-in-indictments-nearly-5-years-later.ars

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for writing up this news story for us!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, May 1, 2012.

1. 888
      wewii

wewii New Member Loyal Member

I wonder what would happen if US citizens tipped off the Feds to the fact that the billions in bail out tax money given to the banking industry was stolen and misused to create record profits and bonuses.

I wonder what would happen if the Feds became aware of the fact that corporations are exporting high quality US jobs that would otherwise enrich the fabric of American society; just so the few can line their pockets with gold while leaving their fellow country men to starve in the streets, rot in jail for ludicrous laws or die in fake wars of private economic interest flying under a false flag.

How many people would be arrested?

ZERO

Hypocrites can go suck a nut. Lead by positive example.... not by massive systematic corruption.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    2. 13,362
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      as you say, nothing would happen because the feds like the rest of government dont work for the citizens but for the corporations.

the banks tanked the worlds economy and got rewarded for it but guys like these,assange, geohotz and kim dotcom get destroyed as best they can be often by completely illegal means.

3. 888
      wewii

I wouldn't say Geohotz... he got bought out by the system. They own him now. He is one of them now, another puppet among countless others. Just another cog/gear in the machine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
    4. 13,362
      billysastard

Home Page:
      you do know he quit facebook?

5. 3,748
      MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject New Member Loyal Member

Let's be real here. Geohot was not getting any esteem or respect in the scene. in fact the ps3 scene was horrific to him as it is filled by probably the worst followers. he was initially panned for hacking their precious system, then he was dragged through court. even then when he stuck to his "leet" guns, the following simply called him a virgin and loser blah blah blah. So obviously he decided to switch. Who wouldn't?

We are not in the days of the 90's where hack groups command respect.

6. 888
      wewii

Hmm never knew that. Why did he quit?

7. 1,394
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Starts to Post Loyal Member

Home Page:
      The mountain dew drinking, Cheetos eating, mommy's basement dwelling dorks were the ones mad at him...cause it was "his fault" PSN went down and they couldn't couldn't play their precious Call of Duty daily anymore.

I say this for real, cause I actually overheard a conversation in a restaurant between two guys about it, and how they hated this dude that hacked the PS3, it's his fault PSN got hacked etc etc

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
    8. 13,362
      billysastard

Home Page:

if i remember correctly he said something like "it wasn't for me".