Video Game Disc Manufacturer Strengthens Security

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Nov 8, 2011.

By GaryOPA on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  1. 21,869
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Millivision Non-Radiating Scanning Systems used to prevent loss of 'Yet-To-Be-Released' game titles

[​IMG]

Each year more then $10 billion of company property is stolen by workers at manufacturing facilities, distribution centers and warehouses worldwide.

We all have seen the 'press coverage' regarding the reason because the early version's of 'MW3' appearing on the 'net after a leak from a disc manufacturer plant, well it seems one company has decided to put it's foot down and has picked Millivision advanced object detection scanning systems to prevent employee theft.

I doubt all this 'high-tech' technology will stop the early 'warez' leaks, they will just find a 'weaker' link to exploit in the chain!

NEWS SOURCE: Press Release (via) MarketWatch

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Nov 8, 2011.

1. 13,365
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      like dropping the disc out of the toilet window to collect later or get collected, or ripping the disc at work, heck why not take the silver foil you wrap your packed lunch in home to recycle ;)

2. 818
      WoIverine

WoIverine Active Member Loyal Member

32gb flash drive...iso2god. Millivision = waste of money, can they send us the checks instead? Split it with you guys, haha. :very_drunk:

3. 13,365
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
      perhaps they call it millivision because most people can see a million ways around it ;)

4. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Oh wow, CIA and FBI have to lern from them. (sarcastic). :D;):rolleyes:

5. 4,436
      JonathanD

JonathanD New Member Loyal Member

So how much will this system cost per factory? I know they spewed out a 10 Billion dollar number world wide for losses, but if that cost is split over a million factories thats really not that much loss per factory per year.

So if this system costs a million dollars per factory to use and it only catches say half the people, it will take like 20 years or something for the system to break even?

Not knowing specific numbers, I am sure this system isn't cheap and they probably have to pay monthly fee's for monitoring. Sometimes the cure is worse then the disease.

6. 2,653
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Maxconsole Forum Moderator Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      Home Page:
      why don't they do like some of the old drug dealers did in the early 80's and make people be naked while they work 'making the product', to make sure their product doesn't walk out the door?

7. 888
      wewii

wewii New Member Loyal Member

This technology is very degrading to peoples dignity and violates their right to privacy. Not to mention its working theory is guilty until proven innocent.

8. 28
      MaxLouarn

MaxLouarn Administrator Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

In my young days, when I used to be on the dark side :) , all the releases were given to us by the developers themselves, as they were themselves past or still active crackers/hackers, or press which had access to games for early review, because they were part of the scene.
      I don't know how it is today, but I am pretty sure it is the same, and I doubt that stealing at the factory has much to do with this kind of the releases.
      However hopefully such technology will be useful to protect people in many other situations.