Wii mod chip maker helps rebuild school in Cambodia

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by Zeus, Dec 26, 2009.

By Zeus on Dec 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus Staff Member MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    According to the 'Wii Key team', they have donated a considerable sum of money to help re-build a school in Cambodia. Apparently, they are closely monitoring the re-build. While it's a nice touch, one must question the ethics of the raised capital and whether it's all a PR stunt.

<blockquote>To celebrate the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010, we have chosen to donate a sum of money to a charitable project. This doesn't mean sending a quick wire transfer to Unicef, though. The project was independently identified and commissioned by members of the team and the progress, including exactly how the money is being used, is being closely monitored.

If you have purchased a Wiikey product this year, you have helped to make this project a reality!</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.wiikey.cn/en/anuwitiyalai-prey-srolit-school/" target="_Blank">WiiKey.cn</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by Zeus, Dec 26, 2009.

1. 720
      Ahmed_p800

Ahmed_p800 Loyal Member

Communication Engineer @Nokia MEA
      Thats.......weird!!

:p

2. 15
      howl

howl Loyal Member

by spreading a way of running copies, they help to reduce the production of plastic cases that dissolve in 1000 years in nature, discs that contain lead that poison of water. they surely help to save the nature :D

3. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Well I've got to say... that's extremely open-hearted of them. :)

4. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

This is a really nice thing for the Wiikey team to do.

5. 947
      Signa

Signa Loyal Member

I don't question the ethics of a modding team, I just question the ethics of the pirates. All the team is doing is allowing users to take full advantage of a product that has been crippled. Pirates on the other hand will steal and copy anything they can. While that is inherently bad, some people like me will then buy the good games that they copied. As long as that is done for everyone, there is no one in the wrong.

It's cool that they are helping a charitable cause. Even if it's a PR stunt, some one is going to benefit for it, and that's a good thing no matter the motives.

6. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Please spare this bulls*it.

Who the hell would think... "I've finally downloaded this game which took me about 2 days (and maybe even a letter from my ISP), and I like it, but I feel bad so I'm going to go out and buy the actual game for good karma... even though I have a fully working copy sitting in my console at home..."

C'mon people stop saying this because you're obviously not going to.

7. 229
      Ragnarok

Ragnarok Loyal Member

Two days!? More like an hour or two.

8. 720
      Ahmed_p800

Ahmed_p800 Loyal Member

Communication Engineer @Nokia MEA
      I DID/DO/WILL DO THAT....with some games:

1-Lost Oddessy
      2-Half Life 2 Ep2 on PC after "Trying" it on Xbox360 :p
      3-Resident Evil 5

And some other games

Allll my FF series collection are original....the developers deserve that much

9. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Well it takes a few hours on a 10MB+ with torrent speed optimised.

I have 20MB, but I'm just basing that on people who have say about 2-4MB broadband, and a game being at least 4-5GB.

10. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Exactly. :)

11. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

... That's messed up man.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2009
    12. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Hey at least they're not thieving, murdering, rapist cheeseburgers then it's all good. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2009
    13. 142
      yutaro

yutaro Loyal Member

You think people don't? Think again.

14. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

This argument is akin to the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" thing. I don't believe that we should question Smith & Wesson if they did something similar, modchips have their good and legit uses we are the ones that choose to use them the wrong way.

15. 282
      XviD

XviD Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Trollbait fail :D
      I was joking before, props to them.
      My best friend is black.

16. 687
      NeoNight

NeoNight Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Are the wii key team modern day robin hoods?

17. 947
      Signa

Signa Loyal Member

And Spare me yours. It's got nothing to do with karma or internet speeds. I'm trying out a game to make sure I'm not getting suckered into a lemon. Game companies do that all the time because they will sink millions of dollars into some poorly planned pile of crap, and expect people to pay for it because they care more about making their money back than making a good game and returning customers. I for one will not pay for something unless I know it either be returned or is actually worth buying. Games can not be returned, so I test-drive them first. I'm not deluded into thinking that it's ok to take a game, love it, and then never pay anyone for it. Dev's need people to love their games so that people will buy their games. If people buy their games, then they will make more good games. It's a cycle, and I'm not going to be the one that breaks it because I know how to cheat the system.

18. 394
      kama

kama Loyal Member

Where's the Wiikey1 BGA update?

19. 329
      jbondsr

jbondsr Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Even if you're taking the games for a "test-drive", the fact is that you obtained the games through illegal methods.
      If the game is not available for rent, has no demo, or you can't borrow it from a friend, then you have NO right to play the game unless you purchase it. (Downloading or copying a game is NOT the same as borrowing from someone who actually purchased it.)
      If the developers miss out on a sale because of this, then it's a good thing. They'll learn to provide demos/rent-able versions, and maybe stop charging people $40+ dollars for the latest iteration of Tetris or Sudoku.

And, while I do agree that modchips do provide a way to open the system you purchased to software you would like to run, I would have to believe that a majority of the mochip makers profits come from potential pirates.

As for the Wiikey Team giving to charity, I feel conflicted for a few reasons.

1. Giving to charity is good, but are they just doing it to get courts off their backs, or to provide a defense for future lawsuits?

2. I believe that a majority of modchip users use the modchips to get free games. As such, they are stealing from software developer profits. Is it right to steal from one man to give to a less fortunate man? (And I don't think that developers are oppressing us enough to warrant stealing.)

Let's say someone was selling Marijuana. It can have medicinal purposes, but the use of it as a drug is rampant. If someone was to build a school from some of the profits, does it make it right? Do the ends justify the means?